Monkey Island Speical Edition

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Monkey Island Speical Edition

Post by Rorie »

looks like spleen is ignoring me probably cuz i annoy him. anyway there is a 3d remake of the 1st monkey island game (the secret of monkey island) and i must have it. spleen did suggest i upgrade my download limit which is 3GB a month. the download is 2.4GB i cannot change the plan as it is in my mother's name & everything has to go thru her. to obtain this game i am offering a cash incentive (you make me an offer and i consider it) please state how much & what currency so i can determine exchange rate. i wish to have the game downloaded & burnt to dvd. as i do not believe that this game will be issued on dvd in the near foreseeable future. any takers?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

If you are talking about the IRC channel, then you may have to wait a day or two to get a proper response. If you sent a PM, it could have gone on unnoticed as this forum doesn't have those pop-ups as soon as you get a PM. (Or it's not on by default or something.)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure what you are describing here is illegal. Although I don't know which Monkey Island remake you are talking about. I know about the official remake but I thought that was a high resolution 2D game and the 3D game was something different. (Like a new MI game completely or something.)

If it's a fan-made remake then I'm not sure. You will have to give a link as I never heard of this.

What you could do is get a download manager. A separate program that will download your programs instead of using the browser. I used some of these back when we first got High Speed internet (way back) and the sending servers weren't very fast. These programs allow you to safely and reliably stop the download in the middle to pick it up at a later time or date.

The problem with Firefox, is that once you 'pause' a download it often has errors in restarting. If you use a third party program, most of the time they don't have this problem.

I suggest this so you could, say, download half of the program at the end of your billing cycle with the remaining bandwidth you have, and then finish it off once your bandwidth gets 'recharged' the next day or whatever. Or you could split it up between 3 months?

But yeah, that's totally sucky. I see that sort of bandwidth distribution as being like you pay for cable but only get, say, 5 hours of television time a month. :rolleyes What a joke.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

It could be legal, as long as he's downloading it from Steam and deleting his computer's copy as soon as he burns it. I'm not completely clear on the rules about burning games to CDs or DVDs, though.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

never mind a friend says he'll do it for me as an xmas present. but he thinks that games downloaed from steam can only be played through steam & that you always need an active internet connection. my internet is thru a wireless modem and is not always active. does anyone know if you need ethier one of these to play a game downloaded from steam?
Up yours Fleexy!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Since you're on dial-up, it would probably take a long time, and since it would take a long time, an interruption might reset it.
Maybe your friend could download it, burn it, delete his copy, and give the disc to you. Assuming that burning downloaded games (with a deletion clause) is legal, but it probably is.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

It is NOT.

This is one of the problems with Steam. They assume that you have a high speed internet connection.

I mean, come on. Why WOULDN'T you? That's just ridiculous. :rolleyes

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seeing as this is the only way to obtain the game, by having a high speed internet connection that is on ALL the time.

Now, there ARE alternatives to Steam. I don't know any specific name as I never really had to deal with the offline thing. (And that I don't use Steam.) But I DO know that Steam DOES have an offline mode that you can set up. I believe you click on it when your internet connection is active and will let you run your games when you DON'T have an active internet connection or something. I think it has a time limit on how long you can be 'offline.' You wouldn't want people stealing and illegally using their own games now.

Speaking of which, even if you get the program's files, that doesn't mean you will be able to use them. I suggest, if your friend is getting the game for you, to look into getting a Steam alternative that isn't the official Valve Steam program...
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

found this is the faq

What is Offline Mode?

Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

Please note that you must connect to the Steam Network and test each of the games you would like to use in Offline Mode at least once to set up your account and configure Offline Mode on your machine.

Using Offline Mode

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
4. Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected
5. From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline
6. Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode
Up yours Fleexy!