Future of Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

What feature is the most important for you?

Support for JPG, PNG format in HQ Graphics (SDL_image integration)
4%
Support for AIFF, MP3 format, etc. for HQ sound and music (SDL_mixer integration)
4%
Work more on the Galaxy Support! I only want that!
57%
Better music stream algorithm to make loading levels faster when using hq-music (Note this option might improve game experience on handhelds)
4%
HQ Sprites! Yeah, enemy and object sprites with more than 16 colours!
14%
Other. Please post your suggestion
18%

Total votes: 28

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm sorry Spleen, but as I told on the webpage already, this is for Ubuntu 10.04 and up. I cannot support older ones, because I don't know if it would run fine with dependencies.

If you have an older Ubuntu version I can only suggest you getting the source and trying to compile it with the older libraries

Sorry for that :-(
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, I have been updating the cmake files. So everybody now should be able to compile it on his system, if it has the requirements which cmake mentions.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I just came up with an idea and the trac is down (or at least I can't access it) so I figured I'd post it here.

Basically, I think we should have an option at the startup screen that takes you to level packs and determines if you have the episode necessary to load it. Then it examines the file names, loads those instead, and any levels on the map not used in the level pack are set to done so that you can explore more freely.

This would allow easier testing and playing of level packs without a lot of extra files.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I don't know, but if the goal is to test levels, I wouldn't make it that complex.

Maybe I never told that. I'm not sure, if it's in the readme, because there was a huge bug, but in the latest version you can launch CG using the following command:

Code: Select all

CGenius -gameX -levelY
It will take you directly to game X level Y, of the game. That way you can rapidly check your levelpacks. It will take you directly to the level and playgame environment.

The problem about the levelpack detection is that you have to be able reading those in any packed format. I think it is better and easier, that if someone wants to test levelpacks, builds it's own game into a separate folder.

It was a bit buggy, because for long time there was an uninitialized variable that didn't work. But now this is fixed.

Of course, if you want to implement that, you are welcome
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Good idea, pizza, I was searching for a way to make levelpacks more accessible. But remember that some levelpacks come complete with their own map.

I was picturing a custom levelloading system (similar to using selfmade maps in Warcraft 2 for example), but that would be even more complicated
Last edited by tulip on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28, edited 1 time in total.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

That's the issue about that command.

As soon as you finish the level, you go to the beginning of the map.
Last edited by gerstrong on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:57, edited 1 time in total.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

gerstrong wrote:I don't know, but if the goal is to test levels, I wouldn't make it that complex.
I don't want to make it complex. I would probably tie it in with the new menu loader I have had planned for quite some time. It will feature graphics to make it a bit more custom.

Basically, split the screen in half with the top selection vorticons, and the bottom galaxy. When you select one it gives you four options, Episode (1/4) Episode (2/5), Episode (3/6), and Mods. The mods selection brings you to a screen like our current one, except it would only display mods for the three games selected, and using the menu of whichever one was selected (Keen Galaxy would use the wristwatch).

I think this would make for a nice menu, but I could be wrong, please post with any improvements to my design.