Future of Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

What feature is the most important for you?

Support for JPG, PNG format in HQ Graphics (SDL_image integration)
4%
Support for AIFF, MP3 format, etc. for HQ sound and music (SDL_mixer integration)
4%
Work more on the Galaxy Support! I only want that!
57%
Better music stream algorithm to make loading levels faster when using hq-music (Note this option might improve game experience on handhelds)
4%
HQ Sprites! Yeah, enemy and object sprites with more than 16 colours!
14%
Other. Please post your suggestion
18%

Total votes: 28

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Future of Commander Genius

Post by gerstrong »

Well, we already had this poll before, but I want to create another one as there were a lot of new ideas and petitions lately. As some might have seen, we are working very hard on the galaxy engine. I know, it takes time, but it will come. Piece by piece we put the stuff together and yet improve the vorticon engine to make your game experience even better.

Now this poll I'm opening is intended to measure what you prefer to see first in Commander Genius. And depending on what you vote, we will put the priority on it. We want to implement all the features. It's only priority we might change on what we will put our effort mostly.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

online multiplayer :D
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Again avanced mod support isn't even an option *sigh*.

Well, go with Galaxy now that you've started, once that will work I hope more developers will be interested in the project and help here and there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Vocticons mod support, followed closely by Galaxy support. All that extra shiny stuff is far less important while the basics are still unaddressed, IMKO.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yay Spleen is with me. :stoopid
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Yeah! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants better support for mods. I voted for the Galaxy engine. Also, it would be great to have a better multiplayer. Imagine how AWESOME would be a multiplayer Galaxy Keen! :drool
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I'd like someone to fix the GP2x Wiz port of CKPlus so that it works on Firmware 1.1. As a relatively new Wiz owner, I've never got it working on the thing.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, we already integrated HQ sprites just yesterday. And also, I'm in charge of multiplayer. I'm going to have the option to change your player color in the game, and now with the HQ sprites, I'll probably have around ten different options for color choice.

As far as multiplayer goes, I need input on what to do for it, and I have to figure out a way to split apart the view. So it isn't going too well overall.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I need input on what to do for it
Battle mode and Co-op level mode!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Sorry I really forget about that with the mods. I'm surprised that so many people want better support for mods. I'm unaware if that petition was as high, as it is now. I will try to work on vorticon mods and galaxy support even more.

Just tell me, which mod do you want to get work completely at special? I will try to get the data out of it and hopefully get it working...

I'm looking for a common code base, so a difficult mod (heavily modifed mod) getting to work might help more getting to work other mods.

Just tell me and I'll do my best!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I would say you'd need to figure out a way of allowing CG to be 'patched'. For many mods this would mostly involve changing certain variables and should be relatively easy to implement, but more complex ones, such as AI modifications, would require a lot more work. In both cases, the patches would need to be rewritten in a way that CG can interpret. I'm sure there are plenty of us here who would volunteer their efforts to such a cause.

It would be good to get the basic mods, like Yorphius II and Keen X, working first.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

It seems like basic mods are working well to me.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

But CG has a special patching class that does that work. It only needs to be extended a bit more. I can do that, or any other who is interested.

All those interfaces in the code are already written and need a bit extension that's all. CG reads .pat files and also uses some of there code to get mods like silcar running.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Oh, nice. I'll have to test this out then.
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I like this program (Multiplayer. Is. Awesome.), but the physics and scrolling need to match the original games better.