Keengine or Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Keengine or Commander Genius

Post by gerstrong »

Well, as Keengine has got very popular although it's far different of the concept of Commander Genius, I really hoped we would find a solution to put those together.

It's a bit unfortunate that it hasn't happened so far. We have a great project with a lot of potential here and I still develop on it and try to make it the perfect Keen 1-3 engine. Unfortunately it takes me more time to develop on the galaxy engine what is sad, because it has been going well some months ago. However it's too much workload for me, so it goes slower...

Too bad many of the developers hasn't been helping me lately. We have so many fans here and so many people who have the skills. I know, it's free, I know it's open source, but it's a solid base we created here and you can earn more in helping us than you imagine. The skills I have learned here and other have learned here are amazing!!

We are able to build versions for Windows, Linux, MacOs, even for portable devices.

I really ask you, why did the interest get so low? I have been a bit away lately, that's true, because I have a lot of work to do.

Well, it's the decision of the community, but one thing I can say for sure. Commander Genius will get full galaxy and mod support. When, will be up to you.

Those are my thoughts for now...
Having fun developing stuff...
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

keep in mind that a few months ago was summer, and a lot of us do have school, which is an okay developmental restriction if there isn't an urgent timeline.

also waiting obsessively for botb :p
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Yeah, I'm in school, as well as not understanding what to do with Galaxy support much, that is why I'm not around much anymore.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

It was nothing personal against you. I understand perfectly well that you have a lot of school right now. Thanks for submitting the latest release :-)

I have linked it on our page.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I've been studying the CG source a bit, hoping to implement a few extra features that will allow me to make a stand-alone platform game I have in mind. But so far most of the code eludes my comprehension.

A major feature is making the player able to control different types of entities instead of just Keen. But the player code would need some pretty heavy redesigning to make this practical.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@Commander Spleen:

That's interesting! You are right! The code is very huge and not that easy to understand. We have a lot of mixtures, especially the menu implementation.

Should I update the documentation site for you? It explains more the source code. Like ScummVM It's done with Doxygen and can be called here:

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/do ... index.html

What do you think?

The control of the player only is a problem in the vorticons engine, that's right. It could be smarter.

In Galaxy it's already different.

If you want to change that, you are welcome. It would reduce the source code a lot. About that I'm sure. Sooner or later we will have to do that...
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Yeah, good doxygen info definitely comes in handy. I'll keep combing through that code in the hope of understanding exactly what it's doing and how it might be made more modular, and see what I can do with it.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, I will update it then...

Wanna join us?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

DO EET, DO EET, DO EET!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Well I definitely intend to contribute anything I should manage to improve, so mark me down if you like.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Just sent you a PM ;-)
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Alrighty, I started doing some reversal of the Keen5 exe; right now I'm focusing on keen movement and physics stuff. I'll send you the reversed code on a segment-by-segment basis.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thanks lemm, that would help a lot... :-)