Surround Picture for iPhone CG ( or iKeen)

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Surround Picture for iPhone CG ( or iKeen)

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, currently the iphone version just stretches the image then overlays squares for buttons. I think we should use a graphic to surround the image at its actual original size, and put the button there.

Here is the image I made of that a while back, and I was just wondering if anyone wanted to make a cool splash screen and polish up the buttons.

Basically, everything outside of the image of the game is what I want polished up. Make it look cool, add some cool buttons, but make sure to include every button there, and try to make it easy to know which button does what.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The iPhone screen is pretty small as it is, though. If you shrunk the screen it could make the playing area uncomfortably compact.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I'm not shrinking the screen, I'm displaying it at its proper size.

We can't times x2 because it isn't big enough, so it is better to not stretch it at all due to distortion of the picture.

So, I figure we can kill two birds with one stone, keep fingers from blocking picture, and make sure image quality is the best it can be.

Although, with the iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4, we do need to look into supporting retina display, which means we need a version of what I posted in double the size as well, and we would allow filters on that version.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

You both have good points...

Nevertheless we should come to an decision what you prefer to see an iPhone.

On Android its also streched but it looks good. I can't say more about it.
Having fun developing stuff...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Until I can jailbreak my ipod I won't be able to see it IRL, but my guess would be, too, that it's too small then.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

In LemonBoy (the GBC emulator for GP2X and Wiz) the default is a screen-surround but there is an option to change to stretched (and aspect-ratio zoom) as different games look better with different things. Why not include both and give users the choice?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
coder12
Grunt

Post by coder12 »

I'd say fully customizable controls, like in Bike or Die 2, would make a fine addition to the port, as well as the option for stretch vs. 1x.

Something I've noticed the current layout misses is diagonal axis controls, which may not be huge in the current scheme of keen 1-3, but as galaxy support rises, diagonals will be a must :)

Also, maybe the use of an external buttonpad (such as wiimote, ps3 controller, etc...) could be looked into. I know that with the http://little-john.net project we implemented the bluetooth HID stack into all of the emulation modules.

On a final note, CGenius runs terribly on my 1g iPod touch, but really well on my iPod Touch 3rd gen, and even better on my iPhone 4 :lol [/img]
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Though it's more effort, we should have this:

- 1x mode
- max size
- 1.5x mode - or anything that's exactly inbetween 1x and max so the buttons only partially overlap the screen.

Also, the black isn't aestethically pleasing. Perhaps a special border picture would have to be made, much like how Gameboy games have Super Gameboy borders.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

DaVince wrote:Also, the black isn't aestethically pleasing. Perhaps a special border picture would have to be made, much like how Gameboy games have Super Gameboy borders.
That is what this topic is supposed to be about.

But sure, 1x and 1.5x options could be allowed, but we would need some borders, the one at the top works fine for 1x, but the other one would have 10 black pixels each on the top and the bottom.