I was thinking about taking parts of the dosbox code and make Commander Genius really execute the exes we have.
That way we can play every mod. Now you would say, well I can use Dosbox, why use CG?
Here are the plans and improvements for why we want to do that:
- - Smoother graphics and animations, because I will try to decouple the VGA vm a bit more
- Play OGG/MP3, basically continue using HQP as in CG it is done
- Hopefully better controls because I will try to use automatic mapping for devices
- Original Physics and all mods are going to work as they are supposed to
- Overall less load time
- Easier to configure because you don't need a shell, or batch files
- Nice game launcher menu which searches and sorts your games. You can choose them as in CG and think of it like a dosbox launcher embedded.
- Mods management, because the game launcher will support mods with multiple patch files. You won't have to write batch files for the mods.
- Support for more similar games like Bio Menace
- Dosbox vm will use the CG graphics Stack, so all the advantages, like OpenGL and streching Windows, etc. will also be there.
The current two engines (Vorticon and Galaxy) we have will still be there and can be used as usual, but you will be able to choose Dosbox vm if you prefer to play it that way.
Those are the plans, welcome to the discussion!