CloneKeenPlus v0.3 Future plans. You decide it

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

CloneKeenPlus v0.3 - What should I implement first, or what would you like to see mostly in CKP v0.3

Poll ended at Mon Apr 06, 2009 17:27

Original Score Table
6%
Original Story board
25%
Mouse support for the menus, like in Keen 4-6 or Dreams
No votes
Implement OpenGL, for true lighting (Lamps will reflect light)
No votes
Gray background which will be changed by a Bitmap in every level. Backgrounds like in Keen 4-6 (HQP)
19%
Better Controls support. Two Button firing, more button remappings and the possibility that the players speed reacts to an analog joystick
6%
Higher Resolution support
13%
Other - But please write a suggestion in this Forum!
31%

Total votes: 16

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Facing left, jumping and hitting the right key, keen still faces left in the air Happy This happens with the Pogo also.
Is this a bug? I think it is like in the original game now, or nearly...
Tapping the jump key doesn't make keen hop as high as he should.
What do you mean with tapping? The jump height is identical
When holding the jump key for the highest jump, it feels like theres too much resistence, like someone turned the heavy on.
same here!
On the same note, when Keen falls instead of a free fall affect its like he's gliding down.
okay, I changed the speed.
in level 2, when i shoot out of the screen, Keen dies.
I need to check this more at detail
Since i died in level 2 after getting the yorp messege, when i returned he wouldn't give the messege again.
This one too!
The shift+tab cheat doesnt work. C,t, space doesnt work on teh world map. God mode doesnt let you walk freely on the map.
What should shift+tab do? I really don't remember. I'll check it. CTSpace + GOD mode on map have been fixed.

I've released an update with some fixes. I'll be checking the other bugs. Thanks for you feedback!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Quote:
Facing left, jumping and hitting the right key, keen still faces left in the air Happy This happens with the Pogo also.

Is this a bug? I think it is like in the original game now, or nearly...
In the originals, keen would face left for only a moment. In this, I can complete a rightwards jump with keen facing left the entire time.
Quote:

What do you mean with tapping? The jump height is identical
Try playing one of keenrush's mods and you'll realize how critical tapping the jump button is for those tiny jumps. With Clonekeen this feels almost impossible.

The Shift+tab cheat allows you to bypass a blocked level.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Version 0.2.2.10 is out!

here are some fixes!
I've change the jumping inertia. Tell me now if it is better.
When holding the jump key for the highest jump, it feels like theres too much resistence, like someone turned the heavy on.
Are you sure it isn't like in the original game?
in level 2, when i shoot out of the screen, Keen dies.
Interesting, when I do that, it doesn't. Can you send me a screenshot of that behaviour, so I can check it properly.
Since i died in level 2 after getting the yorp messege, when i returned he wouldn't give the messege again.
Okay, maybe that should changed enxt time.
The shift+tab cheat doesnt work. C,t, space doesnt work on teh world map. God mode doesnt let you walk freely on hte map.
It should work now. :-)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Any time a bullet travels out the left side of the edge of the level, keen dies. The right side is safe though.

The drag on keen's high jump seems better, but the jumping altogether is too...i'm not even sure how to describe it. I have an extremely difficult time controlling my jump. In the orignal keen 1 i can hop a 2 tile space while jumping less than a tile high. I can't even get close to that in Keenclone. This might have to do with keens jump height somehow: the max height might be hte same, but tapping the button yields a lower jump and i can't seem to manage that. Maybe its just me.

Also keen is moving too far forward just from jumping; he's moving too far without me hitting the arrow for that direction.

Problem with keen facing the wrong way on jumps is still there; I managed to complete level 1 making only these kind of jumps.

C, t, space works on the world map now, but if space is made to the 'fire' key it is both the menu and fire key in a level. God mode works on teh world map now, but I just noticed that in a level god mode doesn't let keen fly.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I checked jump issues out and change a bit again. I hope we get nearer.

@Celilick: Can you give me more information about the raygun bug? I really don't die, when I shoot out of the left edge. Maybe A screenshot would be useful, so I can check the situation more at detail, sorry. I'm glad you are helping me kicking those bugs out... :-)

I'll check out your other reports...
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

gerstrong, you're sure putting a lot of effort to this project. :)

kudos to you
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Yes, you rock, gerstrong. Keep it up. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

So I just realized I havent been using keen 1 version 1.31. This was the reason for the shooting out of the level problem. I'm not even sure what version I had been using, but it works fine now :)

Awesome work, looking forward to trying the jump modifications.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@ceilick: Please send me your version or at least tell me, which version it is. Like ScummVM does I want to support them all, and if one version has more bugs than another, the bugs are to be fixed.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Here comes the next version (0.2.3)...

... and this is a sneak preview of the mod (Episode Y)

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

other shot

Post by gerstrong »

Here is another screenshot of what could be in a future not far away...

ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Re: other shot

Post by ckguy »

gerstrong wrote:Here is another screenshot of what could be in a future not far away...

What's going on in this picture? What's the purple stuff off on the left?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Maybe it wasn't understood incorrectly.

The background is a bitmap.

The "g" you see here, comes from "comin(g) soon !"

It is not displayed correctly though.

I just want to prove that in future you will be able to replace your gray background by nice looking bitmaps... I hope this explain it.

I'm working on this feature... so be prepared! We will have nice backgrounds for every level in HQP when this feature is working correctly, and something more, higher resolutions and better colours...

But CK Guy is right. it looks strange. I have to fix some bugs though.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I understood what you where trying to show, and it looks as it will be great.
But that will only work for the unmodified Keen 1 right? Keen 2 has a patterned background, and keen 3 has many different ones.

Does your patch just render the grey pixels see through? If yes I see some difficulties with grey blocks.
How do you put up with the light and shadow in levels like this:
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Good question.

This will be a discussion, as we see. I want to mask just one colour.

In Episode 1 this colour will be gray, in Ep 3 it will be light blue.

When you put a background for every level, you will have a configuration file, which will contain the bitmap information and the key colour that will be masked. In that order, you can use every bitmap and still have levels without bitmaps. I hope that is a good idea.

Now give me some suggestiones, how I could do that...

No it doesn't mask all grey colours. It just masks the tiles which are not solid, so blocks are ignored