CloneKeenPlus v0.3 Future plans. You decide it

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

CloneKeenPlus v0.3 - What should I implement first, or what would you like to see mostly in CKP v0.3

Poll ended at Mon Apr 06, 2009 17:27

Original Score Table
6%
Original Story board
25%
Mouse support for the menus, like in Keen 4-6 or Dreams
No votes
Implement OpenGL, for true lighting (Lamps will reflect light)
No votes
Gray background which will be changed by a Bitmap in every level. Backgrounds like in Keen 4-6 (HQP)
19%
Better Controls support. Two Button firing, more button remappings and the possibility that the players speed reacts to an analog joystick
6%
Higher Resolution support
13%
Other - But please write a suggestion in this Forum!
31%

Total votes: 16

DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

There's a bunch of these I'd like to see updated first:

Better Controls support
Higher Resolution support
Original Story board

In that order, I guess. I can't vote on physics yet because I haven't tried out CloneKeenPlus yet.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hereby I update CloneKeenPlus to version 0.2.2

There is only fix, physics. It is not much, but it was a lot of work.

Tell how you feel it! You should now notice the proper inertia. It should be very similar to the game now. If it's not the case, please let me know in which parts...

One more thing. Please don't vote anymore for Storyboard. This feature is already implemented since version 0.2.1

Have fun with your old games!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

And.... another version 0.2.2.1

It just has some important level bug fixes and crashes when trying to load some mods
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

other - I'd like to see a 2-4 four player capability. It would be easier to do it by IP, but even then would the game cope with the lag?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It can definitely be done using UDP. It wouldn't be perfect, but no multiplayer game really is. The best ones just hide the quirks well.

The main question is how the game would integrate multiplayer into existing levels. The way it works at the moment seems sufficient, but you might need to implement a way of sharing items and resources, for example. From there it'd need support for multiple starting positions and then we modders can create multiplayer levels with ease!
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Commander Spleen wrote:It can definitely be done using UDP. It wouldn't be perfect, but no multiplayer game really is. The best ones just hide the quirks well.

The main question is how the game would integrate multiplayer into existing levels. The way it works at the moment seems sufficient, but you might need to implement a way of sharing items and resources, for example. From there it'd need support for multiple starting positions and then we modders can create multiplayer levels with ease!
simple. have a vs mode where it goes by points+time and everything is cloned (no pun intended) so players don't affect each other. You could also have an experimental co-op game where everything is shared. the only problem with this is that having two player ones will mean that if one keen dies, you die aswell and the lives go down. or even better p2 could be a monster of their choice.

we'd also need to keep in mind how complicated the programming would be. are you using object-orientated programmers or are you writing it by hand, from scratch?

also, the players can start from the same place.

i'd be anti splitscreen for this one, more for an online mode like ratchet and clank 3.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

CKP is written in standard C and not C++. The Interpreter never was written in object oriented language, but maybe in the future it will be. It would be useful using it in some parts of the source code.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Please give me feedback about the recent physics. Are they better now?
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

BlueGasMask wrote:have a vs mode where it goes by points+time and everything is cloned
Meh, I don't find that idea too interesting. It would be useful to have it as an option, but multiplayer functionality would be a waste if that was the only mode of play.
BlueGasMask wrote:You could also have an experimental co-op game where everything is shared. the only problem with this is that having two player ones will mean that if one keen dies, you die aswell
This is exactly where multiplayer would be brilliant. But dying is not a problem. You seem to be forgetting that this is an engine coded from scratch, and if separate player stats are required, they can be implemented.

This mode would be especially fun if each player starts off in a different area and must complete interconnected puzzles. Say both players are unable to reach one another at the start, and P2 must flip a switch to activate a bridge allowing P1 to cross it and collect a keycard that furthers the level progress. It's this sort of thing that can make multiplayer really exciting.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Commander Spleen wrote:
BlueGasMask wrote:have a vs mode where it goes by points+time and everything is cloned
Meh, I don't find that idea too interesting. It would be useful to have it as an option, but multiplayer functionality would be a waste if that was the only mode of play.
BlueGasMask wrote:You could also have an experimental co-op game where everything is shared. the only problem with this is that having two player ones will mean that if one keen dies, you die aswell
This is exactly where multiplayer would be brilliant. But dying is not a problem. You seem to be forgetting that this is an engine coded from scratch, and if separate player stats are required, they can be implemented.

This mode would be especially fun if each player starts off in a different area and must complete interconnected puzzles. Say both players are unable to reach one another at the start, and P2 must flip a switch to activate a bridge allowing P1 to cross it and collect a keycard that furthers the level progress. It's this sort of thing that can make multiplayer really exciting.
ideas are built like pyramids. let clone keen plus be like the great pyramid of khufu.

but yeah, your vision of it sounds great.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

One by one. I'm going to implement this feature sooner or later, don't worry. BUt there are other things first.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

You have a lot of ideas, I like that. But there must be time to implement it. I cannot do everthing that fast.

It will come, it will...
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

gerstrong wrote:You have a lot of ideas, I like that. But there must be time to implement it. I cannot do everthing that fast.

It will come, it will...
Well, I like to think that I have
Tom Hall wrote:a fertile mind
so I will also suggest the implementation of graphics mods, e.g:
http://dark-ax.deviantart.com/art/Comm ... P-90717851
scroll down for goodness.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Cool stuff!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

gerstrong wrote:Please give me feedback about the recent physics. Are they better now?
A little bit.

-If you hold a direction and try to jump, Keen loses most of his momentum. This shouldn't happen.
-Keen slides if you change direction while walking.
-Keen kinda just floats down when he falls a long distance. His max falling speed should probably be a little higher.
-Keen maybe pogos up a little too slow, also.
-This is a bit specific, but if Keen pogos into a ceiling that's 3 tiles above him, he loses momentum, and falls straight down.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure which things are actual physics problems. Some movements might just look weird, because of the larger resolution and smoother framerate...