CloneKeenPlus v0.3 Future plans. You decide it

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

CloneKeenPlus v0.3 - What should I implement first, or what would you like to see mostly in CKP v0.3

Poll ended at Mon Apr 06, 2009 17:27

Original Score Table
6%
Original Story board
25%
Mouse support for the menus, like in Keen 4-6 or Dreams
No votes
Implement OpenGL, for true lighting (Lamps will reflect light)
No votes
Gray background which will be changed by a Bitmap in every level. Backgrounds like in Keen 4-6 (HQP)
19%
Better Controls support. Two Button firing, more button remappings and the possibility that the players speed reacts to an analog joystick
6%
Higher Resolution support
13%
Other - But please write a suggestion in this Forum!
31%

Total votes: 16

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thank you Genius314!

I'm going to check those details and fix them. These are not too complicated now for me.

Now I'm implementing a new model of input handling. The old one did not have the feature of writing text. I need that for the score table. So give me time for implementing a better event handling function of all input devices. Ah, I'm to support sensitivity this time for analog joysticks. Why not doing it right?

However Input handling will take some time, because, the old stuff must be removed and this takes some time.

After that I will go back to the issues genius314 found and fix them. You see, the version is everytime getting greater!
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

I downloaded the latest version but whenever I try to open it up, it crashes. suggestions?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Yes, first, did you read the "readme" file? What operating system are you using?

And if you really did all what is in the readme, it would be nice to send me the log file. It's called "ckp.log".

Without data files it is natural that the program won't start.

Ahh, and if you have version 1.34 of episode 1, please download and use 1.31. 1.34 doesn't work with it. I still need to get the tile track of this exe-file.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

About Physics

Post by gerstrong »

mostly for Genius314:
-If you hold a direction and try to jump, Keen loses most of his momentum. This shouldn't happen.
Can you explain more what you mean with momentum? I feel, that he comes far enough, when he jumps, so the momentum can't be lost too much. It is very similar to the original Keen version, I think, but maybe I've overseen something when he jumps.
-Keen slides if you change direction while walking.
Fixed!
-Keen kinda just floats down when he falls a long distance. His max falling speed should probably be a little higher.
I increased the falling speed by 50 %. Tell me if it is better as feeling.
-Keen maybe pogos up a little too slow, also.
Okay, 10 % more speed. Let's see how it is...
-This is a bit specific, but if Keen pogos into a ceiling that's 3 tiles above him, he loses momentum, and falls straight down.
fixed!
EDIT: Also, I'm not sure which things are actual physics problems. Some movements might just look weird, because of the larger resolution and smoother framerate...
Difficult to see, right?

In about two hours, after some tests, I'm going to release version 0.2.2.5 with those fixes in there. I hope you enjoy much more the physics, I feel, that with chapter of problems we are coming to an end. And Oh, yes, axis mapping for joystick, is implemented too. You didn't vote that much, I know, but for score table, I need a better input handling and so on the way I've implemented this. Next step is score table. I already have plans in how to implement it! What comes after this, you can imagine... ;-)
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Re: About Physics

Post by Genius314 »

gerstrong wrote:Can you explain more what you mean with momentum? I feel, that he comes far enough, when he jumps, so the momentum can't be lost too much. It is very similar to the original Keen version, I think, but maybe I've overseen something when he jumps.
No, that's my bad. I guess I just never noticed that in the original game. It's pretty much fine as it is.
gerstrong wrote:
Fixed!
I don't know, maybe it's just me? Try walking back and forth in the original game, compared to CKP. Keen slides a lot more in this one.
gerstrong wrote:I increased the falling speed by 50 %. Tell me if it is better as feeling.
No, it still feels too slow. Keen should continue increasing in speed as he falls, not just fall faster. Sorry if I didn't explain that well enough. :o
gerstrong wrote:Okay, 10 % more speed. Let's see how it is...
I think this is good now.
gerstrong wrote:
-This is a bit specific, but if Keen pogos into a ceiling that's 3 tiles above him, he loses momentum, and falls straight down.
fixed!
No, I still fall straight down when I hit the ceiling. Try it in both games. When you pogo into the ceiling in the original, you keep going in the direction you were traveling. In CKP, you just lose your left or right momentum, as if you get stuck in the ceiling or something.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Fine, I'll check it out again, fix and release a better update. We'll get it soon with those physics!

Fixed! Hope it is better now!

I don't know, maybe it's just me? Try walking back and forth in the original game, compared to CKP. Keen slides a lot more in this one.
No, you are right. It is just too much inertia, when you do that! Changed!
No, it still feels too slow. Keen should continue increasing in speed as he falls, not just fall faster. Sorry if I didn't explain that well enough. Embarrassed
No Prob. More acceleration added!

No, I still fall straight down when I hit the ceiling. Try it in both games. When you pogo into the ceiling in the original, you keep going in the direction you were traveling. In CKP, you just lose your left or right momentum, as if you get stuck in the ceiling or something.
I still don't detect this problem. In which level, where exactly does this happen?

I have released another version which has the fix for keyboards and those improved physics. Try it out!

version 0.2.2.6!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Cool, I think most of the stuff is fixed now. Its really starting to feel like I'm playing the original game. :D

As for the ceiling bug... It happens to me all over, but go to the first level of Keen 1. In that area where you get the raygun, on top of all the purple blocks, pogo against the ceiling and move around. You have to be holding jump, too (I forgot to mention that... :o ). Keen falls down, instead of just bumping against the ceiling.

There are some other bugs I noticed, now...
First, when I tried out the new version, the controls were all set to "Unknown Key." I tried changing them, but the text in the controls screen was all messed up:
I managed to set all the keys, though.

On the map, the up and down keys "stuck..." When I pressed them, I'd keep going up or down. Left and right worked fine.

Also, the pogo still feels weird, when you try to do a higher jump. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think it's about when you can do a high pogo jump.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hmm, That control menu bug is interesting. Did you erase you old controls.cfg file, before you mapped your buttons?

Okay, because it is my happy day I've released another version with those two bugs fixed (UP DOWN on map, and hitting ceiling while jump+pogo)

For the third one (High pogo jump) I need more information. I will check, but maybe you see something. And about the controls.cfg, try to erase your file and start the program again, so it will generate a new one. There have been many modifications. It should fix the problem. If this does not happen, tell me. On my computer it works very well. You can even map your axes.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Erasing the file worked. Although for some reason, the four direction keys defaulted to "Space" for some reason... :crazy (But I could at least read the screen to fix it).

I think the problem with the pogo is that it is very hard to start pogoing with a high jump. Most of the time, when you turn on the pogo, the first jump is a low one, even if you hold the jump button at the same time.

I also noticed... if you stand next to a wall, do a lot of short, fast hops, and move towards the wall, Keen can start to go through it. Probably a clipping bug.

Oh, and there's a few minor details about how the yorps push Keen. When Keen is facing the yorp, they push him a little too far. And when he's facing away, they don't push him far enough.

I feel kinda bad constantly nitpicking the physics in the game (although I'm sure most people want the physics to be as close to the original as possible). I'd really like to help with the code, and possibly fix some of these things myself... but I'm a terrible programmer, and probably couldn't even get it compiled. :dead
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Space is the default key? I will check that. I want them set to "unused"

I'm going to check those bugs, when I get time.

@genius314: I've sent you a PM. Hope it isn't too large :o
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Another Update is coming!

@Genius314: Did you receive my PM?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Just tried this out, this very cool :drool

Some things I'm noticing:

Facing left, jumping and hitting the right key, keen still faces left in the air :) This happens with the Pogo also.

Tapping the jump key doesn't make keen hop as high as he should.

When holding the jump key for the highest jump, it feels like theres too much resistence, like someone turned the heavy on.

On the same note, when Keen falls instead of a free fall affect its like he's gliding down.

in level 2, when i shoot out of the screen, Keen dies.

Since i died in level 2 after getting the yorp messege, when i returned he wouldn't give the messege again.

The shift+tab cheat doesnt work. C,t, space doesnt work on teh world map. God mode doesnt let you walk freely on hte map.

Will start following this more closely, like i said before, very neat!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I will fix those, but one thing I don't understand.

What do you mean with CTSpace doesn't work? It worked on me. I've got all items, etc. Is something else missing?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

gerstrong wrote:What do you mean with CTSpace doesn't work? It worked on me. I've got all items, etc. Is something else missing?
Right now, it seems C-T-Space is actually C-T-[menubutton]. So if the menu button is changed to something other than space, the cheat won't work as most people would expect.

And yeah, I got the PM.
Now I just have to respond to it. :helmet
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Before I forget it! I'm looking for the support of keen1 version 1.34. Does anyone know, how I can uncompress it? I've asked this before in the Keen:Coding subforum, but nobody seems to have the answer.

I would like to support this version, but I need to know, how Pklite compression works. (Unlike the other versions which are compressed with lzexe, this one uses pklite).

I really would like to support this version.