Update CloneKeenPlus

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Update CloneKeenPlus

Post by gerstrong »

Hi everyone,

For those who were missing a new version...

I've released 0.2.5. Check it out!
Last edited by gerstrong on Sun Mar 01, 2009 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Hi, I'm new to this, so excuse me if this was discussed before. This clone keen looks interesting, so I've extracted the latest version. The readme file says that I need to extract the original files in "keen/Release/data". There was no such a folder, so I created one. But when I try to run Clone Keen, it just opens and close a window (using win xp). I'm trying to run the latest version of Keen 3. Is it supported? Will you please tell me what else should I do to be able to run it?
latch_loadheader(): unable to open 'data/egahead.ck1'. etc.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I might be wrong, but even if you're only trying to play keen3 you still have to have the keen1 file in the folder, as the menu uses those files. Version 1.31 is preferable, though, all earlier versions should be supported as well. (there is a problem with keen1 1.34s exe file, it has a different compression)

Ah, and you don't need that keen\Release\.. thing just put it in the data directory
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Oh garg!

This is an error in the readme!

it is "keen/data"! Please notice that. Thank you for the observation. I will change that for the next release.

Tulip is right! To render the games menu, you need Episode 1. Maybe I should put this in the readme file too.

I want to support automatic detection, so in future, the program won't care what episode you use.

For this one and other versions below you need Episode 1!

I have not supported every version but 1.34 isn't supported. 1.31 and 1.1 are supported. Other versions may run, but they are not tested though.

All three episodes are supported, so you can copy them to the data directory and run CKP.

If you have any other questions, please ask!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Alright! Now is working. I've installed Keen 1 and Keen 3 1.31. There are some graphical glitches in Keen 3, like there is no transparency when you jump in to the clouds. But anyway, thanks! I think the ability to fire with only one button is a god blessing :). Now I can finally play the game without this imo stupid two-button firing. Also, I've tested the game with my x360 controller, but it doesn't work in the game smoothly and in the menus it doesn't work at all. Maybe I have to calibrate it. I may write more later.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Transparency... What do you mean with transparency? Alpha Blending? This isn't support yet, but there are plans.

About the Xbox-Controller I can't say what happens. Do you use a special driver under Windows XP? I would like to help you. If you feel the gameplay too slow, try to increment the frame rate. Don't worry, having a frame skip of 5 will still give you a very smooth feeling if you have a good gfx card.

Not all menus work with the joystick. They worked in older versions. Due some changes of the polling, this is happening. I'm going to fix that soon.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Iv4n wrote:Alright! Now is working. I've installed Keen 1 and Keen 3 1.31. There are some graphical glitches in Keen 3, like there is no transparency when you jump in to the clouds. But anyway, thanks! I think the ability to fire with only one button is a god blessing :). Now I can finally play the game without this imo stupid two-button firing. Also, I've tested the game with my x360 controller, but it doesn't work in the game smoothly and in the menus it doesn't work at all. Maybe I have to calibrate it. I may write more later.
Sorry, but you made me think. I wanted to wait with this version, but those gfx bugs are not good. So here goes another update, with more fixed bugs. Download it from my page and enjoy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Sorry, but this is really unplayable version. I don't know where to start. Maybe it's a single bug that causes all those troubles, but I don't know.

I've made a clean installation and put Keen 1.31 and Keen 3 1.31. There are some bugs that just crashed the game here and there every time I try to play. The bugs appears on both Keens. Keen 3 quits shortly after starting a new game. Then I changed my movement controls and it crashes when I try to enter a level. In Keen 1, the game crashed when I try to exit from the map to the title screen. There is a bug with Keen 1 as the walking sound keeps running even If I'm not running around the map. When I tryed Keen 3 with two players, the game didn't crash, but the sounds disappear and the game crashes when trying entering a level. There is also a graphical bug in Keen 3 with the upper frame of the windows. A broken line appears on top of the frame.
Last edited by Roobar on Tue Mar 03, 2009 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm going to check it! I see, I need to do more tests. Especially on Windows versions. The linux version doesn't appear to gave that problem.

I got it. It is a sound buffer overflow. I'm going to fix it now, test more the windows version and upload the release.

Sorry for those problems. I use Linux and compile all Windows binaries under this OS. I sometimes have to less time checking on other PCs the program or with wine.

EDIT: Okay, I've uploaded a better version, which shouldn't crash under Windows anymore. I've done some tests.

I've made a clean installation and put Keen 1.31 and Keen 3 1.31. There are some bugs that just crashed the game here and there every time I try to play.
You shouldn't need to do fresh installations. Just extract the most recent files in your directory
There is also a graphical bug in Keen 3 with the upper frame of the windows. A broken line appears on top of the frame.
This is bug is really interesting, but it doesn't appear to effect the game. I don't know, why it only happens in EP3. The Linux version doesn't produce this bug. I'm still behind that.

I hope the fixed version make all of you happier... My apologies for the aweful release :o
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well thanks, but... it was working like a charm until it crashed at some point in one level in Keen 3. But this time I don't know why. I've decided to try the big pogo jumping feature turned on and stated a new game. I was in the middle in the air while jumping with pogo and suddenly the game quits. My controls are r crtl + r alt for jumping, if that matters. I'll see if this bug appears again.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I see we need to do more tests on Keen3 and under Windows. That is one of the reason, why neither version 0.3 nor support for Keen Galaxy are implemented. First the bugs must be fixed

@Iv4n: I was playing it under Windows XP. It didn't crash, but if you discover an error, please email me more details. You can do that by mailing me the ckp.log file and telling me, what operating system you use. Was it Windows XP, like you wrote in the forum before? Thank you very much.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Alright, some controller report. I've tried to test my Image

Actually, it's playable. But only with the left joystick. The thing is, I didn't like that when I push the joystick just a little, Keen moves slower, not in the usual speed. This might be interesting, but I think is useless. And during the gameplay, sometimes it moves slow even if I push hard the joystick, which comes to dead end. So what I need is the d-pad. Apparently, I'm unable to calibrate it as it can't be recognized. What is worse, I wasn't able to calibrate the joystick again to it's defaults. So it's obvious that the controller is useless and I'm going to use the keyboard for now.

One funny fact is that the joystick still can control Keen in the game, even when I'm typing out of the game this.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/clonekeenplus/
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@Iv4n: okay, I'm going to implement an option in which you can disable analog joystick feature, like you wish. I don't understand what you mean with calibrating (do you mean remapping?). However, if you want to restore the default game settings (like those of your joystick), just delete the ckp.cfg file, or adapt it to your needs. Just be careful, when doing that.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've experienced the bug again. I know where it happens, but for some reason, fraps is unable to record a video.

By calibration, I mean remapping.

Here's my ckp file. http://tranz.it/load.php?id=uJdNG4c8e1sFzhBi248260
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I going to try entering in this bug with your ckp.log, so I can fix it. If you can send me a screenshot before it happens or a video, you would help me a lot.

EDIT: Maybe screenshot and video help me more, because the log file shows that the program doesn't crash. It terminates normally. This is really strange... It looks like you quitted CKP.

I want to find that bug and provide you a better CKP. It would be nice, if you could help me in this.
Last edited by gerstrong on Tue Mar 03, 2009 18:42, edited 1 time in total.