Commander Genius (CKP) V0.2.9.9

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

'K, I changed OpenGL = 0 to OpenGL = 1.

Now, CloneKeenPlus opens a blank white window, and it deleted stderr.txt.

:dead2 Help!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Yeah, I've suspected that!

What GFX Card do you have? Does it really support OpenGL? Which Version? Maybe I can find that out! Maybe it's better to change it back to 0. Is it still very slow?
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Unfortunately, it wants stderr.txt to run. :( Also, my graphics card says OpenGL SUPPORTED right on it. :(

Yes, it is still slow with the same errors.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Yes but I need to know which version of OpenGL it supports.

NPOT-Textures are not supported by all graphic card.

OpenGL 2.0 can do that however...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Currently there are too many cables down there for me to get down and back up alive. ;)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, the cfg was screwed. Now it's ok.

The graphics are really beautiful with this scalex4 filter, but the gameplay is strange now. With 3 fps skipped it is slow. It's like the gravity changed to a moon-like one. With 4 or more skipped, the game is faster than usual. In the slow mode, the game is actually much more easier, but that's not the case.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Interesting Your GFX-Card seems to support OpenGL 2.0.

I'm still looking for an workaround to get it running under OpenGL 1.x
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

This is bugged. Actually, when you enter certain levels (for example the pogo stick levels), it takes you to different levels. That happens with mods as well.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@CKeen666: Are you sure, you didn't choose hard-mode?

Choosing hard-mode makes you some levels swap (especially the ones with the pogo-stick), so you won't get it that easily.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

gerstrong wrote:@CKeen666: Are you sure, you didn't choose hard-mode?

Choosing hard-mode makes you some levels swap (especially the ones with the pogo-stick), so you won't get it that easily.
Oh, here's why : D Yes I did indeed choose hard mode. Then I'll stick with normal mode.

Btw, it's a very good program. However it doesn't support some stuff mods introduce. For example, play keen x, mortimer will use the same lines as the yorp statues on keen 1.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@CKeen666: One question: Do you use OpenGL? Does it work for you? I want to know. because some people complain and others don't about that feature. Could you tell me what gfx-card you use? Thank you.

About the mods. Yes, you are right! There are many things left to do, and I want to do. If you look closely, the lines come from a special file shipped within the program. That's really annoying and I want to change that, so you can use any mod you want and put in your lines.

The program is able to hack the Exe-files of Commander Keen 1-3. It extracts already some tiles, the CK2 and CK3 sounds, so getting line reading is a matter of work, in which I laked a bit of time. However it will come, I promise.

Thank you again for your compliments :-)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I cant get this to run. What am I doing wrong? Where is this mysterious "release" folder the readme refers to? :stoned
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Fleexy wrote:Currently there are too many cables down there for me to get down and back up alive. ;)
How about using software tools to find out what version of OpenGL your card supports? That seems far easier to me...
Wow look at me I'm lurking
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@VikingBoyBilly: Sorry, that is my error! The "Release" Folder doesn't exist anymore since I support more different platforms. Just go into the root folder of the game, there should be either "CGenius.exe" or "CommanderGenius".

I'm going to change that Readme.txt for the next version.

I wanted to add special effects to OpenGL for the next version, but as I see there are many performance problems with some hardware. it will have to wait a bit more.

Here are my new plans:

1.- First OpenGL should be run with 1.x. I want to use POT-Textures everywhere. They are faster anyway. I want to preload with ScaleX. That should increase the performance very much, but requiere more memory! I prefer to ocupy more memory and a faster gameplay, than too much processor power.

2.- Add OpenGL Effects. This will be another headache.

3.- Than finally version 0.3 as a Release. But that won't be that easy. I'm going to release 0.2.10 as testing version and will try to remove as many bugs as possible, so version 0.3 will a more stable release for everybody. I also want to remove the "strings.dat" file. Those strings should be read out of the exe-files from the game.

4.- New Games Menu System. That won't be hard, I already prepared something 2 months ago. This version won't need config files anymore. It will autodetect the games. It also will bring new graphics, so you can run CKP without any Commander Keen game installed and you would be advised.

5.- And now to the best feature! At this point I'm going to start with Commander Keen Galaxy (4-6 and of course 7 and 8 (mods)) series support. This will be though, but I will do my best.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Just got to trying this out for keen 1, very cool! I'm especially glad to see how the jumping turned out :)

I think my only negative is that the momentum on the pogo should be tweaked down just a little. After switching between Clone Keen and Keen 1 in dosbox several times it seemed clear to me that making the same pogo jumps were a lot harder in Clone Keen because of Keen's forward momentum. It's very slight, but its enough to mess me up...a lot :dopekeen