Commander Genius v0.3 (CKP) is not far away

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

What else do you want to see in Commander Genius v0.3?

Implement OpenGL, for true lighting (Lamps will reflect light). Better shoot effects, etc.
33%
Mouse support for the menus, like in Keen 4-6 or Dreams
No votes
Please concentrate more on the bugs. Everything is fine for now
17%
Other - But please write a suggestion in this Forum!
8%
The mainmenu should be an in-game menu (Like in some 3D-Shooter games)
No votes
Restore the original introduction screen with the Apogee ID logo
17%
Better Physics! Please write, what still has to be improved.
17%
PNG support for bitmaps
8%

Total votes: 12

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Commander Genius v0.3 (CKP) is not far away

Post by gerstrong »

As some time has passed since CKP v0.2, I think it is time to add another poll to the forum.

The old poll is here : https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=519

If you have a different idea or suggestion you are welcome. So just write them here in the topic or vote and I'll think about it.

Except for two features which weren't voted for at all, all the other features are now implemented. I'm going to put those missing features in the poll again and add some other things you could like to see in the Interpreter.

Commander Genius v0.3 will a stable release. Now I'm working hard to release that version.

Many people complained about the speed. The timer I'm programming will boost up CKP by 4 times (Time-based rendering). So don't worry about that. It takes some time, but It will be in the next release.

I cannot not implement everything of those suggestions and votes in CKP, but when 0.3 is reached, I will implement them. I promise.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I've never heard of it, but I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to get rid of bugs before adding any new features.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Download it. Try it. Just click on gerstrong's WWW-button.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

I havent played it but hey I have no computer to myself :dopefish

--HoboRed
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Not many votes, but alright. I'll add the voted ones to the tracker-list.

I have opened at sourceforge.net two new trackers in which you can suggest and discuss features or report bugs. Let's say, it's like a forum, but only around the program! (No registration required!). If you want to use it, just enter to my download link and choose "Tracker" from the menu.

The IRC Channel will be closed because nobody seems to use it. Sorry!

I also want to thank to all of you guys. I see that I have had many more downloads at Sourceforge.net per day than before, and it really makes me happy and motivates me to continue developing.
lemm
Blorb

HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME!

Post by lemm »

I just downloaded this for the first time... and all I can say is :O Awesome job!

I like the extra effects, like the fade in and out, and the scale factor, and the ability to change frame rate.. so it looks just like the original. The two player mode is brilliant!

The biggest issue I have is the control. It seems to be a lot more sensitive in CG. While I find it is easier to make long impossible-pogo style jumps, it is harder to make one tile gap jumps. On my computer, to get the same distance jump in the original on DosBox compared to CG, you have to hold down the jump and the move keys longer, (i.e. CG is more sensitive; harder to control precision movements. So this is why I voted "physics." All in all, however, when I matched the frame rates so that CG and the original looked alike, my eyes couldn't tell the difference.

What I would suggest is that you add a button sensitivity configuration in the controls so that users can tailor the amount of time they have to hold the key down.

Other options you could add:

Add a look up/down feature like in the Galaxy series. It wouldn't even extra animation... just have to scroll the camera up/down a bit.

Expand the two player!! Splitscreen... maybe even battle mode? (maybe even an online battle mode? or is that asking for too much :p )

I do like your idea in the poll option of having new effects, I think combining that with the original artwork would be a neat effect. I also agree that the main menu should work in game.

I look forward to v 0.3 !! (you have one more dedicated tester :p)
Last edited by lemm on Fri Jul 03, 2009 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

If I must criticize, I think adding support for the galaxy series would be a good idea. :)

Edit: Welcome to the PCKF, lemm. :)
Last edited by Bonevelous on Fri Jul 03, 2009 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi lemm,

thank you for your comments. I have been thinking about those ideas but the source code is very inflexible for this stuff. I must say, that it has reached its limits. That is why I want to end the software cycle with version 0.3. Don't worry, this doesn't mean that I won't continue developing. I will be improving the engine until 0.3, than a new base will be created. I'm going to rewrite the code and make all the physics with floating point calculations. The next code will be built modular. It will allow to add better features like in-game menu. All is going to come.

I also need that, because I also want to add the Galaxy Games to the interpreter. All we need is a more flexible source code than what we have now. Sorry, if I cannot implement your ideas until 0.3 now, but don't worry. It will come with newer versions ;-)

@Bonevelous: As you see Galaxy (Keen 4-6) will come. They are my favorites