OpenGL in Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm more interested in seeing a completed engine that can be patched to work with mods than supposedly improved graphics. I rarely use the filters, preferring nice oldschool pixely games. This is one of the reasons I play the games, for their refreshing graphical nature in comparison with the obsessive realism of modern games.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@Commander Spleen: I remember that discussion. I would be a great idea to patch it, but wouldn't it be nicer to use special config files or something to make the the patches work (with stuff like jumpheight = 10; Speed = 100, etc...)?

Maybe somebody has ideas in how to do that. But remember, I cannot implement everything from one day to another. Some help would be very appreciated to get Commander Genius forward! I think it has reached to be a good engine. So the potential to do that is in the program.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I'd rather put these as seperate ideas; patchfiles support could be added for easy mod adding, and some mods could use special config files. However, since these special files would make the mods dependent on Commander Genius (like how patchfiles usually only work on the original games), it might be even better to have a special application that can help people write patchfiles with any currently known information. This way, patch file creation is simplified and could be accepted by both the original games as well as Commander Genius.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Yes, a config file like that would be perfect. Of course, not all patches are modifications of variables. Some can be a bit complex and might require new functions to be written.
DaVince wrote:these special files would make the mods dependent on Commander Genius (like how patchfiles usually only work on the original games)
The idea would be that the patches are translated from a mod's patchfile. They mods would still be designed for the original engine, it's just that the config file would allow it to use the extra patched features.