The HQP of CloneKeenPlus

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
tulip
Flower Pot

The HQP of CloneKeenPlus

Post by tulip »

As I'm now officially appointed manager of the High Quality Pack for CloneKeenPlus, I'd like to ask you guys if you'd like to contribute something.

There are currently 5 music tracks in the HQP, 1 for the map in Keen1 and 4 different level tracks, basically all Zidane's work. If anyone has made keenish tracks, you can send them to me via eMail, and I'll put them to a good use. (if they're worth it :p)

Has anyone played CKP with the bitmap support? If yes what do you think of the design of the levels (1 and 2 of Keen1)?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I just took a look at the levels with paint, they're interesting but neither looks very consistent. In level 1, different platforms have different tilted angles (especially those red blocks in comparison to pretty much everything else).

In level 2, the background is nice but I think it clashes horribly with the pixely angles of the platforms. Also the spiderwebs seemed kind of out of place, as well as the eyes in the wall (I think it would look better as just a hole in the wall).

Again though, its an interesting concept and with some work it may turn out great :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Thanks for your comments on the grapics. Both of them are still just examples what could be done, I'll edit them a little more. I noticed the different angles in level01. (That one was done by gerstrong)
What is your general opinion on the tilted view. Yes or no in Keen 1-3?

If yes, I'll try to redo the first level as another example.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Well, I'm hesitant to give a definitive 'yes' or 'no' on the tilted view. I find it very interesting and different, I know I griped about the angles in my post above but it really is fascinating just to look at (I get a pleasant deja vu feeling looking at it, a "this is familiar but new"). But again, because of the challenge involving aligning all the angles and practically having to redraw everything, it may be more work than its worth. Basically it depends on how much time goes into it :)

The approach from level 2, using textures rather than solid colors, seems easier and creates just as much 'atmosphere' (so long as everything gets a texture, and not just the background).

So done 'right', both could work, but I think the second style is the easier to accomplish and offers just as much affect.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I've tried making music tracks for the HQP, but currently I have only managed to make some blurbs that sound vaguely Keenish so far. Hoping to be able to make some good ones for the HQP at some point, at least.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Of course adding textures is easier. Well, maybe I'll start to make some more texture levels, and well see about tilted view later.

Thanks for making some tracks DaVince, I'm looking forward to when you're finished.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Along with the release of v 0.2.9.6 I've added a new version 1.3.1 of the HQP.

I've edited the second level a bit according to Ceilicks instructions, and added a bitmap for the pogo level
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

A new HQP Package has been added (1.33), to celebrate DaVince as a new member to the CommanderGenius team.
DaVince has offered to make some music, and in this new version of the HQP you can already listen to some tunes by him.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

BTW, most tunes are ones I made over the years for different purposes (or fun), so there's not much consistency and they don't always fit. I'll be making a bunch of music specially for the game so it'll get a bit more consistent over time. :)

Any input or suggestions on music in Keen are appreciated! Like: what kind of music would you expect to hear in specific levels in Keen 1-3? (This would help me coordinate; I don't always play through the game or manage to think of a good sound to go with a level.)
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm really glad to see how the work has been going. The project has grown a lot and I think the HQP will provide much more fun.

My idea with HQ Bitmaps was to provide levels in which you see more than repeated tiles and wall. I think it can enhance the atmosphere a lot.

I also was thinking about creating a support in which you can just edit the tilemap with 32-bit colours and then use this one for all the levels.

It would be faster, but it would steal the atmosphere we wish. Maybe someone has other opinions. I really like the system. And I like Tulips bitmaps much more than mine of the first level. I must admit that this one wasn't good work. Maybe there is a better design.

I'm not an artist and I really prefer to code on the project since there is a lot to do on it.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Tulip's levels are indeed very nice. :)

The tilemaps idea is actually a very good one - allows for some choice, as well as being able to provide 32-bit animated tiles (like the ID logo tile in e1l1 that doesn't actually look fitting right now).
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

DaVince is absolutely right, the animated tiles still aren't 32bit colour. I tried to make the levels in a way that it doesn't clash so much with the rest, but to be able to colour-up the tileset would be a geat addition... and fast.
While you're at it, 32bit sprites'd be nice as well.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Re: The HQP of CloneKeenPlus

Post by ZidaneA »

tulip wrote:As I'm now officially appointed manager of the High Quality Pack for CloneKeenPlus, I'd like to ask you guys if you'd like to contribute something.

There are currently 5 music tracks in the HQP, 1 for the map in Keen1 and 4 different level tracks, basically all Zidane's work. If anyone has made keenish tracks, you can send them to me via eMail, and I'll put them to a good use. (if they're worth it :p)

Has anyone played CKP with the bitmap support? If yes what do you think of the design of the levels (1 and 2 of Keen1)?
I might be able to contribute with more tracks. Do you want me to remake/remix songs from Keen 4 - 6, or shall I compose original songs?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Personally I'd like original songs more, DaVince's "Happy" is a good example for an original song with a little "quote" from the keen music. As DaVince is now main composer, better coordinate with him, but as far as I can see we have no Keen 2 songs and Keen 3 still needs a lot of songs...
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

...and where may I find this "Happy" song?