Commander Genius (CKP) V0.2.9.9 Now out!

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Download confirmed.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Alright! Now everything works fine! Well... almost. This time two major issues:

1. Play Keen 1, start a new game, then exit to main menu, change the episode by "change the game" option and try keen 2 for example. The game crashes. The log end here:

loadSound : loaded sound FOOTSLAM of 192 bytes.
bottom of game control loop opt=7 crashflag=0

Here another one from Keen 2 to 1:

loadSound : loaded sound EARTHPOW of 288 bytes.
bottom of game control loop opt=7 crashflag=0

2. Although I deleted my controls config file, I can't use the pogo until I change the key. The default is Alt Gr, but when I change it, it displays it as Right Alt.

3. These wall bugs are not so major issues. At some various locations, where when you're close to the walls, you can shoot through them:

Found some walls in Keen 2 too. There might be in Keen 3 either.

In Keen 2, right after you start a new game, you can actually walk over your ship! This is actually quite nice and cool! :p
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi Iv4n,

I have discovered some of those bugs. One of the last versions doesn't open ep2 or 3 anymore.

The most recent version should. I also remember to have tested you that thing when changing the game.

Did you test the most recent version? If you report something here in future it would be nice that you tell me in which version it is so I don't have to recheck the bugs.

About Issue 1: Does this happen in version 0.2.9.6d?

About Issue 2: That's a Problem with Windows itself and SDL. Linux maps this key correctly. I should send check the SDL Lib itself. I will implement a workaround.

Issue 3: Okay. I think this can be fixed, but it will take more time. I need to check, where the collision went wrong.

Issue 4: Walking over the ship? I'm not sure, if it was meant to do so in the original game. However it doesn't work. Strangely all tiles are loaded correctly in EP2. Only this part in the game differes to the original. I think EP2 programm code had a workaround to avoid this.

Should we ignore this issue? I think it doesn't bother

Version 0.2.9.6d also provides a fix for those who uses the HQP. The music buffer wasn't always freed, so in every level you opened and played the music, it took more memory than it really needed (like 30 MB every time. Yep, I know! really too much for such a small game).
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Iv4n wrote:2. Although I deleted my controls config file, I can't use the pogo until I change the key. The default is Alt Gr, but when I change it, it displays it as Right Alt.
I guess that's because the Alt Gr key is a special key for german (and some more) keyboard layouts. The american keyboard doesn't have that key. I think the effect of the Alt Gr key can be emulated by pressing Ctrl and Alt, but that won't help in playing Commander Keen when you're using 2-button firing.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oooh! Sourceforge with new design! ...again.

All the mentioned issues are for 0.2.9.6c. And yes, they do work with 0.2.9.6d too.

issue4: It wasn't mean in the original. I vote for ignoring it.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I don't always link the most recent version of CKP with our Website, because I want to be sure the newer version isn't too unstable. However, you can still get and test it, if you browse the sourceforge packages.

I'm not a fan of the new colours of sourceforge, but what the heck....?
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote:
Iv4n wrote:2. Although I deleted my controls config file, I can't use the pogo until I change the key. The default is Alt Gr, but when I change it, it displays it as Right Alt.
I guess that's because the Alt Gr key is a special key for german (and some more) keyboard layouts. The american keyboard doesn't have that key.
It does. No US keyboard I've seen didn't have two Alt keys, and if it did it was a non-standard keyboard. The right Alt can be called Alt Gr AND right Alt, because it is both.

The problem here is that the key is mapped by string definition - and Windows (SDL?) uses a different string to identify the key than Linux (SDL).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@DaVince:

But why is it only the ALT GR Key? SDL doesn't use strings. At least in the h-file it is enumerated.

It think I got a good solution. In the next version the problem shouldn't appear anymore.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Huh, no strings? Maybe it's an SDL bug where it uses strings for keys internally, and uses the wrong term, making Windows not know what key is intended? Or maybe the keycodes for right alt in Windows and Linux are somehow different...

xmodmap in Linux might have something to do with it. I dunno.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi there,

for this weekend I proudly present Commander Genius (aka CloneKeen Plus) versin 0.2.9.7. Maybe you think there are a lot of changes, but they aren't. All the coming versions until 0.3 will be bug fixes and maybe an improvement here or there.

After 0.3 there will be a lot of great features.
The mayor fixes are:
- The three last bugs by Iv4n have been solved.
- The bug with the Alt Gr should have been fixed with my work around.

Enjoy!

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! I can't find bugs! :p :p :D
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

okay, that's nice to hear!

We are moving towards 0.2.9.8, yes! Not far away... I promise, and another feature suggested by Tulip will be implemented. It's an option called "Level replayability". It will allow you to play the levels again like in Super Mario World. You won't see the "Done" (Only if enabled) sign, but you will be able to pass those levels if you made them once through the exit. What do you think? Stay tuned.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I suggest you put the "done" anyway, or maybe a small indication of "done" nearby the level (kind of like the flags in 4-6). Otherwise it might become difficult to keep track of which levels have been finished already.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That sounds neat! Well, it will be nice to play the first level of Keen 1 with pogo! It will be nice to take the pogo again and again too :D

The only real difference will be in the hi scores. If you replay some of the levels, your high score will be much higher than the current possible now.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

In theory it's already possible to get an unlimited score if you can get an extra life in a single level.

For replaying levels, it might be good to keep track of a score for each level. If you replay a level and get a higher score than your existing one, it would be replaced. The total score would simply be recalculated each time from the list of individual level scores. That would be awesome, and make the high scores much more meaningful.