Commander Genius (Aka CloneKeenPlus) 0.3.0.3 Release

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

So, CG will run on the majority of the current systems that you could care about. Plus if you were to make a total mod that didn't use any of the old graphics or anything like that, then you would be able to release it as one package, as a standalone that people could download themselves!

And why can't I see the Mac source code in the source code download? Is there some way I can get it?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@wiivn:
The resolutions are a big problem, because I'm still looking for a way to detect them correctly. The SDL function seems to be broken on some systems, so I just use a file called: resolutions.cfg where you have the list of all the resolutions. You can modify it by hand. I'm going to check your problem again. Maybe I find a better solution. You can do any res in Window-Mode, but not in Fullscreen mode, so the detection must be in Fullscreen, let the screen flash for a while and then write into the list. I will think about that problem again. It should go into the release, because those bugs are really annoying. I'm not sure if the users want that flashy thing when starting the game, but It have to be done at least once.

1600x1050 shouldn't exist. I don't think a card supports it. I meant to use 1680x1050 and 1600x1024. I'll check it again and think about a solution. I think testing all resolutions the first time is the best thing we can do here...

By the way, it would be better to be able to resize the window. This would however mean, that I have to rework on the Video class.

@KeenEmpire: CKP doesn't edit those files, however the source-code contains information that can be extended to make it an editor. It's a lot of work I guess and I want to concentrate on other things which I consider more important now. Nevertheless it is possible. The only thing that is not read from the game files are the text lines you see when you touch a statue in Ep1 for example. I need to change that, but after the release. All the other stuff is used from the gamedata files and it is possible to implement an editor that even can patch the exe-files to change the behaviours for the original dos-games.

With as many levels as you want I'm not sure. The structure should allow up to hundred levels. I think the original dos-games limit it to 16 levels plus those of the intro screen and world map. I think it is possible, why not? If someone wants to create a mod that has many levels, he is welcome.

@pizza2004:
The problem about the Mac version is that I cannot support it, because I don't have a test machine. I release the source code only for Linux and Windows. We are working on a new build system, which is also will have the Mac version. The member who take care of the mac version is available for some days, but he'll be back and I will plan the ney build system.

That is the reason I don't publish the build system for mac in the original src file. What I could recommend you is to download it via SVN. There is also the build system for Mac. It uses cmake, so I shouldn't be a pain to compile the most recent version. I really don't touch, because I don't have a Mac where I could test it.

Try to do a checkout and you also should get the mac build.

Code: Select all

svn co https://clonekeenplus.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/clonekeenplus/cgenius clonekeenplus
We will put them together hopefully in the next days. The source code is still the same, but you have the mac build there.

Since Albert Zeyer joined the team and when he gets time, he really does a lot of things on the source code, I update the SVN every day. So you can always get the most recent source code there. However it sometimes might be unstable I cannot guarantee, that it always works. Those are WIP.

About your question of the total mod. I'm not sure what you exactly mean. You can replace the graphics by better ones, that's true, but it is still EGA (16 colours), like all the other mods. I would be able to support more colours, so you can make better mods, but it would be a different file structure incompatible with the old games. I really don't want to do that now.

I hope this answers your question. You can of course use a mod compatible with the keen dos games, which still use EGA graphics, like silcar 1.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

What I meant, is that legally it isn't allowed to use any of the existing graphics without legal notices and stuff, but if you were to change all of the graphics and all of the text, then you could use this to release a game that uses enemies from all 3 games, and stuff from all three including tilesets, and has basically an infinite amount of levels. This opens up all new possibilities in modding for Commander Keen. As such, it would be a most excellent breakthrough, and several people would be sure to use it!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Yes, that's true. You have to include the legal notices and you may be right. However, changing the graphics is a lot of work. If someone is interested to do that, he is welcome.

You only have to change the egasprit, egahead, egalatch and you get new graphics.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

As far as I'm aware the graphics would be a non-issue since the user is supposed to own the games in order to extract the graphics to be used with this program. Only Keen 1 is intended for inclusion with a binary download. It's the same as with OpenTTD--you need to manually copy in the original Transport Tycoon files in order for it to work.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Very well, Pre11 of CG is out! I hope you don't find that many bugs this time...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well then, I'll keep my mouth shut :crazy
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Commander Genius Release !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it is time. It may not be perfect, but it has some improvements to pre11.

We now release at last version 0.3. I think this one is very stable and playable. It will be the version for the community that don't want to risk much and enjoy the games.

We will be releasing updates of course, and fixes if something is wrong with the version, but more important than that is that we are going to begin with mayor features again!

I will open some new polls and let you vote for the future of Commaner Genius!

The latest improvements are:
- Video Mode detection basing on a list that can be extended
- The aspect correction, an option that wasn't saved, has been fixed

Have a lot of fun!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Congratulations!

Ordering info doesn't work in Keen 2 and 3, but more importantly cnahing the resolutions now works well.

What I want to see in the next version is the main menu to be accessable through the actual game.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

You mean like in Keen 4-6 where you don't have to end the game to get into the menu. That would be neat.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I already have been working on that feature.

In future when you start a game, there will a be demo cycle like:

- Intro Screen
- Title Screen
- Demos

They will be repeated until user presses a key, then he can choose what to do. The special thing will be, that you also will do that, while playing the game. Yeah, like Keen 4-6, and you can end the game.

Don't worry, this is one of the next features that will come very soon!

@wiivn: I have disabled Ordering info for Ep2 and 3, so I know that. I would like to add them, but maybe I'll remove this item from the menu. I don't know, why we would need it for those Episodes. In Ep1 it is different.

Problem about Ordering Info is that you have to create special functions, because the text and so are at different coordinates. This Implementation is really boring. Maybe I do it for next time.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

and well,
these are the next plans:

- Read all the text out of EXE-files. This should provide better support for mods! No strings.dat will be needed anymore!

- F1 Help screen

- Update the Dialog Class. It should support more controls, and be easier to manage. (Menus, Main Menu, Dialog, etc.)
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

the vorticon elite shot is a little bit lower than in keen2. Normally their shots can clear one raised tile.

For patching right now, we need a separate %patchfile for each patch?

also, I was wondering do you plan to have 2-player splitscreen in the future?

Thanks!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

concerning the patches, patchfile patches are the only ones that are beginning to be recognized by the programs. Currently CG only looks for the tileinfo patchfile, but normal patches are planned to be included in the future. This is gonna need some time though.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

... and maybe some help.

I can implement everything in the source code. I have that knowledge but working alone means that it will take more time, and we also want Keen 4-6.

Everybody is welcome to enhance the patch class. There are just two files of source code which take the task to modify the exe-file (being in the memory). You can do use SVN and upload the stuff, if you tell me, or you just sent us a diff file. As this system only does basic patching, the source code of this part is very small and can be extended, with out many problems. It is written in C++.

After the patching system, the game is started normally, but with a patched EXE-file (also in the memory).

CG already reads as much information as possible from this EXE-file. What is missing are the physical values.

@lemm: Thanks for reporting this. We will fix it. I personally don't have plans for split screen, but I would like to implement it. As I told before, it is a huge project and it is extensible in many directions. I would like to improve the 2-player mode, but all needs time. This one is lower priority for me. It want to see Keen 4-6 running :drool

EDIT: @lemm: I have fixed your bug of Vortelite. In the next version you'll see it!