Commander Genius (Aka CloneKeenPlus) 0.3.0.3 Release

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I tried to compile on Macintosh but it didn't work. It compiled but when it ran it gave me timer errors, and then when it didn't do that it would just show a black screen!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Did you really download the most recent version 0.3.0.3 ?

I don't know much about unfortunenately, but you can do two things:

- try not to use OpenGL Mode first. (YOu can modify this in genius.cfg)
- use the most recent source code from SVN. It's more up to date than the source code that comes under download of the Website
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

The one I got was a day or 2 old and it was still 0.3.0.2, I'm getting the absolute newest version right now, so I should have it sometime soon.

By the way, what was the original resolution for Commander Keen?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

One version had issues with the timer, that's true. We were fixing them. Try out the newest one.

The original resolution of Commander Keen is 320x200
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, I got it to compile, and I think that what I have done should be added to the code that is currently on the site. Other than that, I can provide a build of 0.3.0.3 for Macintosh, if you desire it.

I would love to help develop on this, because although someone else is there to upkeep the Macintosh side, it doesn't seem to be constantly maintained. As such I would love to sign on as a secondary developer to help in maintaining the Macintosh portion of the code.

There were several things that needed to be worked out for the Macintosh side of things to run. Now I want to know whether or not the help is supposed to use page up and page down or just up and down. Also, when I come to a garg statue in the game, it tells me to press enter, but no matter what button I push I can't continue. That is all I noticed so far, and if I'm allowed to help develop, then I will work to fix these bugs myself.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Sounds like a good idea. I don't know how you compiled it, but the Mac version supposes to use the cmake-system. It was idea by Albert doing this and we will switch the other builds to cmake too, when we get together with more time.

Yes, Albert is the one who maintains the mac-version and when he has time he updates version. However he works on other projects and that takes him much time.

I really like to give you the task but let me talk to Albert first so you two don't get in conflict or something. Communication is very important!

What goes for the rest of the issues:
- Garg statue message should be triggered with any key or button. If nothing happens, than this is bug that needs to fixed.
- In the help I have implemented Page up and down so you can scroll faster. So it's okay

I will add you as developer, and if needed explain how we update the code (through SVN). You only need SF-Account and tell this username so I can add you to the team.

So far, if you want to start fixing bugs you can already check out the SVN tree and work on it. Later, when you are team member you can commit the changes and your code will be included. :-)
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

My SF UserName is pizza2004, and I already have several changes that make the Mac version work.

I have a fully compiled version of v0.3.0.3 for Macintosh all ready to go. It is looks like it is Universal, not Just Intel, which is good! And to top it all off, it even runs on any Mac Machine running Mac 10.3 or later!

Great News! v0.3.0.3 has a release for Macintosh, head on over to the website to download it!