Multiplayer in Commander Genius

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).

What do you think of Multiplayer in Commander Genius?

Keep it like it is.
10%
Make it have yorp sidekick for second player.
25%
Make it more like New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
25%
Have Keen vs. Mortimer.
35%
Other (Please make a post detailing what you would like instead.)
5%

Total votes: 20

pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Hmm, I think I might have two options for the yorp sidekick mode. Either a yorp that plays like a yorp, or a vorticon that jumps as high as Keens pogo, and pretty much plays like keen.

I also think that for the New Super Mario Bros. Wii mode we should have different powerups, one being pogo stick, one being a stronger gun, one being the ankh, and one being something else, like super speed shoes.

This makes me think, we need some either remixed levels, or a whole slew of multiplayer aimed level pack mods. One for each mode, in order to match it. Probably remix slightly for sidekick mode, completely new for NSMB Wii mode, and then arena versions of the original levels for the other mode, or something of that sort.

I realize now that Keen vs. Mortimer sounds cool in theory, it wouldn't really work all that well in the long run, so I don't really want to have it as a thing.

As far as the battle mode goes, I think you should first compete in 3, 5, or 7 of 9 or 10 possible mini games to determine your health in the final round, when everyone faces off. Some possible choices are Yorp Roundup, Race to the Finish, and some sort of capture the flag type thing, as well as target practice and some maze or puzzle type thing. But even if you stink at minigames, if you're good at a deathmatch shootout between the Keens, you can still get first by being last standing.

I think that these are some reasonable modes, but will take quite a bit of time in order to develop, and we have other things to focus on in the project right now. I'm relatively sure you won't notice much difference in the multiplayer of the upcoming version, but don't fret, we have a whole bundle of new features planned for the new version, the biggest of which is Stability and Upgradeability. With the engine rewritten into C++ in a very careful manner we are attempting to avoid the trouble we had before with messy code and inflexible structure. Some features that you can expect though:

In-game menu
Save/Load system with 25 slots and a menu system like Keens 4-6
Autoloading Games Menu (You no longer need to mess around with Games.cfg to get the game to work)
Strings load directly from exe

Hopefully:
Even more precise physics (it could take time, it is hard to tell)
Loading without need of a game in games folder
Fully Functional Demo system
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, I can say that the 4 player support is working very well.

But we want to improve the experience and support other sprites. I will integrate those of Ceilick he sent me time ago. This will a second option. Maybe someone wants to send me a sprite of mortimer so he also can be used. Deathmatch will be possible on that engine as you can choose, if you want to kill your buddy or help him.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

The minigames should affect the deathmatch in some way, though. Otherwise they're a useless prelude to the deathmatch. Maybe for each minigame you win, you get a power-up?