Commander Genius Version v0.3.1 Testing Release

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Commander Genius Version v0.3.1 Testing Release

Post by gerstrong »

Hi everyone,

We have released another great testing version of Commander Genius.

For Windows users:
I'm not quite sure what libs are needed so I put another package called libs.zip, which you might need to extract in the same game directory, if it doesn't start.

Remember, this is not a bundle like the past version. You have to supply Keen 1 Resources.

Why is this taking so much time?
Well, we created a new engine much more powerful than the old one. The old engine was very buggy and unable to perform some features we really need.

We are really rushing to make this a good and stable release. So stay tuned! We will be uploading test versions very often. We are also thinking about the name of the packages... We might call them by Revision in future.

What is new?
- A new game engine
- 4x times faster
- smoother scrolling
- better collision
- more stuff read from the exe-file. Very important for mods.
- ingame menu
- Save/Load System of Keen 4 Style
- Improved tilemap support. Now you can also use fontmaps
- and much more.

The most nasty thing is that you can change settings in the menu and they are applied immediately.

Have to report bugs?
Two things I must say about reporting bugs of those testing versions:
- Be sure, that you really have the latest test version. We will be uploading test versions very often.
- Only report bugs for episode 1. We are still working on the support of Keen 2 and 3. They already work, but some stuff still needs to be ported, so you might experience a lot of bugs there!

Where can I download it?
here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloneke ... s/Testing/

Just grab the latest version. W32 stands for all Windows operating systems, also Win7. Have fun!

What happened to the Keen 4 Support?
When this version is finished and working nice, we'll continue supporting vorticon engine (but not enhancing). We will mainly be working on Galaxy Engine. I have created some plans in how to add this support and the new engine will be able to take it (another reason why we created it!). There are also some project settings which we have prepared.

Sorry that you have to wait more time, but good things last a while.

For people who are developers and want to help us developing on the Keen Galaxy Engine are welcome to join us. We also mean to support mods, so nothing will stand in the way for Keen 7, 8 and 9, the mods by Ceilick.

Stay also tuned for the HQ-Pack. Tulip is going to release an update soon, where you will see Keen 1 and 2 in VGA-Quality. Here is an preview. Those tileset are also compatible to the old 0.3.0.4 version.

thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Awesome! :drool

I must download this! I'm looking forward to that HQ pack, guys.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

If you can't wait to test the tileset of EP1 and EP2, I can sent you a copy right away and you get your game like you see it in the pictures.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Don't worry, I think I'll be able to release that HQP sometime later today, or at least tomorrow.

Edit:
Here it is: http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download.html
Scroll down for HQP.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

All righty! This is looking pretty cool!

I got that downloaded and man, Keen 1 never looked so good.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, here goes another testing release. That one is completly playable in all 3 episodes and might have even less bugs.

Some are still left, but when I we release the first alpha, most of them will be done.

Too bad, tileset of Episode 3 is not finished. We really would like to see Keen 3 in those awesome colours
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, well, here goes another release, but this one is called Alpha1.

Check it out! It has some issues, but many things are already working good, and the games are playable to the end. NOw I need a little nap. :-)
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

And for the new year we already have uploaded the beta version.

Happy New Year! You can get it from the downloads site and we also uploaded the mac-version.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Okay everyone, I want to see some suggestionson what to improve for the final release, don't let me down!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Release Candidate of CG is up! Try it out!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Jumping is still weird. Keen cuts downward as soon as he stops moving up.

Also if you run into a wall in the air, that doesn't stop your x-momentum.

Visually it's nice.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Actually, it wasn't like that with the version just a few days ago, which has jumping pretty much identical to the original games. We are just working on fixing these sort of things right now.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The x-momentum problem has been there all the time since the beginning of CloneKeenPlus, I wonder when it'll be solved.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

If you mean the x-momentum problem with walls, that can easily be solved, but I'm pretty sure, that it isn't cut down to zero in the original. I think that it is decremented at fast rate. I can implement it that way. That could still be missing.

EDIT: Keen jumps up (with or without direction) and then falls like a normal fall. That is the model we have been using all the time. About the walls, okay, more logic is cutting down the inertia, but there must be a way to get on certain blocks while jumping getting blocked when he is in the air.

So the inertia is removed by it can't be completely
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

So, I have uploaded another testing version. As some you know, I have a lot of trouble with my life, but it's getting better again.

That Testing version of Jan 31th should be very stable and contain even less bugs.

It also might be release ready.

Have a nice weekend...