YouTube Automatically Privating Unlisted Videos Soon

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

YouTube Automatically Privating Unlisted Videos Soon

Post by proYorp »

YouTube has announced that any "unlisted" videos that were uploaded before 2017 will be automatically made "private" and no longer available to the public. This change is set to happen on July 23, 2021. Users who have uploaded unlisted videos can opt out according to the official statement from Google.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9230970
https://www.speedrun.com/news/833-2021- ... icy-change

I've seen a few "Let's Plays" and other Keen content on here that have been uploaded as an unlisted video. (For instance, this Keen 6 playthrough by ckguy and Herry Jerry: viewtopic.php?t=3095 / https://youtu.be/VeISXccyX64. One of my favorite Keen videos. :dopekeen )

I suggest for everyone who has uploaded unlisted videos to check if they may be at risk. Additionally, for the sake of preservation, I recommend for anyone that may have a favorite video that falls into this category to download it, in case the uploader does not see the notice in time (or no longer has access to the account). This downloader seems to currently be working well: https://odownloader.com/en2/
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Re: YouTube Automatically Privating Unlisted Videos Soon

Post by Soul Monster »

I swear, Youtube is just getting worse and worse. Stuff like this is why I'm very slowly moving away from the site.

Also, Thanks for mentioning the download site. You just helped me out immensely.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

when it comes to downloading files in any format the download management tool JDownloader does a very fine job as well.

also, thanks for the heads up.
out now (link) : Image
weareeletric
Grunt

Post by weareeletric »

I hate when social media platforms do things like this. I hope we don't hear any sad news like this one very soon.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

weareeletric wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:47 I hate when social media platforms do things like this. I hope we don't hear any sad news like this one very soon.
During the months I've been away from the internet this year, it seems like every major platform has done something to generate significant backlash. YouTube and Discord both changed their name ID systems. I think the biggest debacle was Reddit. They got boycotted for a minute. Something about API's I think? Apparently YouTube started threatening Invidious and the inv.riverside.rocks mirror went down. :( Sad day, had some history with that one. Even Unity is making a disruption now with raising prices. Minecraft deletes old accounts. Oh yeah, and Twitter got crossed out.

Quite a tumultuous year all around... It's making me appreciate quiet little forums like this all the more. By humans, for humans. We just need to stay on top of the spambot game. Sometime soon they'll probably start using ChatGPT or somesuch. Quite a leap from 2016 when the best they could do was fragmented sentences made of spliced words like "arrowheadlines." In the past I've thought it would be an interesting social experiment to train an AI on the entire contents of this specific forum and see what kind of personality it generates based on our collective experience. However I'd rather do without having to carefully observe any new individuals to see if they display traits characteristic of being alive. Maybe we could have our own pet robot help us filter the spam because no one is better at identifying deepfakes than a machine trained on identifying deepfakes.

@weareeletric Could you inform us if you think of yourself as a human?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image