Jmod editor for Jill of the Jungle

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
JM2006
Grunt

Jmod editor for Jill of the Jungle

Post by JM2006 »

Hi there

I use a macbook and played Jill Returns then Jill 4 and the new Jill game that I just saw posted

Are any jill of the jungle tools available on Macbook?

I do use DosBox to play
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Jmod editor for Jill of the Jungle

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I don't know of any Jill modding tools designed specifically for Macs. jMod is Win32 only. You may be able to get it to run via Wine in Linux, but I don't know if something like Wine exists for Macs as well.

You could try using Jill's built-in level editor, but that one was never meant to be used by anybody other than the original developers. There's also an early DOS-based level editor called JillEdit, but from what I remember it is an extremely limited shareware release.

The web-based version of Camoto might do the trick, but it's little more than a proof of concept at the moment and doesn't seem to support Jill.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

WINE does exist for MacOS as well which means that official WineHQ packages of the development and stable branches are available for macOS 10.8 to 10.14. Unfortunately though Apple decided to prohibit WINE to work on macOS Catalina 10.15 and newer. So depending on your version you might or might not be able to run Windows applications in MacOS via WINE.

you could however setup a virtual machine running a Windows OS even though this might be a bit over the top for simply Jmodding.
out now (link) : Image
JM2006
Grunt

Post by JM2006 »

I am on Catalina MAC OS X

I do have a Windows 7 disk so I can try partitioning my hard drive for Windows 7

What do you think?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

JM2006 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:24 I am on Catalina MAC OS X

I do have a Windows 7 disk so I can try partitioning my hard drive for Windows 7

What do you think?
this would also be a valid option. BUT I wouldn't recommend setting up a dual-boot and therefore messing with your boot-loader in order to partition your hard drive if you haven't done such task before, as this is quite some advanced stuff.

To be on the save side try a virtual machine first. You can imagine this as an application which runs Windows 7 as a guest system while you are on your MacOS host system. You can start Windows 7 as an application just like you would start your Safari browser. This is much saver, especially if you haven't done something like partitioning your hard drive and stuff.
and as I understand it you only want to mod Jill of the Jungle a bit, right?

so my order of recommendations would look something like this:

1. try to run your Windows applications on a Macintosh via WINE. As this won't work on your end...
2. test if CodeWavers free trail CrossOver compatibility layer solves your problems, or...
3. install a virtual machine like VirtualBox and install Windows 7 as a guest system on your MacOS host system.
4. If however non of the above fits your needs - and ONLY if you really know what you are doing - you can go for a dual-boot and partition your hard-drive
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

... or look for a cheap-o Windows laptop or desktop PC. jMod should work on anything WinXP and up. You might be able to get such a system dirt cheap or even for free.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
JM2006
Grunt

Post by JM2006 »

Would Windows 10 be any good?

I have got disc for that but not yet an ISO file
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

JM2006 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 13:22 Would Windows 10 be any good?

I have got disc for that but not yet an ISO file
What for? Modding Jill of the Jungle? As far as I know jMod should run on a Win10 machine. (I neither use Windows nor do I have any experience with jMod.) But I'm sure K1n9_Duk3 can tell you more about this.

If your questions is about running Windows via VirtualBox then the answer is yes. VirtualBox runs Windows 10 or even older OS's like Win8, Win7, Vista, Server 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4.0 and even DOS/Windows 3.x.
And a disc should be fine as well but might not be as fast as loading the data directly from your harddrive (ISO file). However there are tools out there that allow you to turn the data from Windows10 disc into an ISO file. If I remember this correctly you can also download a Windows 10 image ISO file from their website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO
With this you should be good to go.

next up make a quick google or yourtube search on how to setup a virtual machine - given that this is what you have in mind. there are plenty and pretty good tutorials out there that will guide you step by step.
GoldenKey
Grunt

Post by GoldenKey »

JM2006 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 13:22 Would Windows 10 be any good?
I'm running Win10 on my machine and Jmod works fine (though it did come up with a scary "This is an unrecognised application and we won't let you play with it" message, which I had to work around in order to get it to run. It's unlikely to be malware, as I've had it on my system for months and nothing's happened yet :dopefish