Keen Speedrunning Records Reloaded

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Using serious glitches and save/load to get to the level edge and thus finish the level while being dead (or dying anyway) -- I don't think such runs should be count.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

In that case neither of the Keen 6 speed runs count as they both exploit serious clipping errors and use IB to complete. The Keen Dreams 5:08 speed run wouldn't count either for the same reason. It uses the die at level edge glitch as well.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Sanitars used the glitches to do keen 6. The load/save glitch is serious even by my leisurely standards, however.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Gr1nreaper wrote:Well apparently the record for Keen 5 is 2:42.
>:

I give up.
And yes, I do think this counts. Bugs count, cheats don't.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Genius314 wrote: I give up.
And yes, I do think this counts. Bugs count, cheats don't.
Saving and reloading is on the verge of questionability.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

IMO it totally counts, and I believe it could be done in less time still. You see where he takes too long to break the fuse in Korath Base III? Also the new record for Keen 6 appears to be 3:29.

I was checking out the profile for 3v3ryUs3rn4m31sT4k3n - the guy who did the keen 5 2:42 speed run, and found something fascinating from Keen 6. I remember reading about this secret area in the Second Dome of Darkness years ago, but never really looked for it.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

I dislike glitch runs, but i guess it counts then :/
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Gr1nreaper wrote:I was checking out the profile for 3v3ryUs3rn4m31sT4k3n - the guy who did the keen 5 2:42 speed run, and found something fascinating from Keen 6. I remember reading about this secret area in the Second Dome of Darkness years ago, but never really looked for it.
Is this just another April Fools joke (I didn't think so, since the video was posted in February...), because I can't find that "door" anywhere?
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

I don't think it's a joke. I just did a google search and found other references of it here: http://www.al-morrin.co.uk/samira/keen/hints6.html. Here's the quote.
There is a mirror in the Second Dome of Darkness . To get to it, use the no clippings cheat while jumping up and right. Save the game, then return to it, and you should be in a dark area beyond 'blocks'. Use the no clippings cheat again to get below the platform of blocks and you should see a mirror with the letters 'ICU' above them. At least I can't see it myself, but others have.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

So then... does anyone have any specific details as to how to get there? I try and time it the same as in the video, but I can't do it. (Unless it was removed in the version that I have?)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I vote glitch runs and legitimate speed runs be kept as separate records for each episode (and indeed version for the glitch runs, in case they differ). That would be the only fair way to do it.
Spatula
Vortininja

Post by Spatula »

Agreed. Glitch runs should be separate.

If anyone makes a Galaxy run using the save/load glitch, a K6 Run using the impossible bullet, or a Vorticons run using the F8 glitch, it should be in a different category.
Last edited by Spatula on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

In that case, to the best of my knowledge, there are no existing speed run records for Keen 6. Let the competition begin!

I think Genius314 had a good question though. What version of keen 6 has the secret area with the mirror?
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I see a difference between glitch runs that involve saving and loading, and those that don't. But it might just be me.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, great job with the mirror video -- but it's a faux. Someone (and I have a feeling I know who :)) just added some new tiles and stuff there. This thing was done years ago with a fake screenshot -- but it's nice to see it coming alive this way. :p
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.