Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Re: Updated- 'The Ruin of Roib' - beta v3

Post by Soul Monster »

There's more stages there. I know, when I played this for the first time I faced the same frustration. But they're there, it just takes a little bit of exploring to find them (and perhaps a few secret mini stages while you're at it).

As for the Prophecy Stone, you may want to remember the pattern on it for a later stage you'll need to know it for.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Edit: I found the Poison River level and felt sure that I'll complete it in a while... but nope. I guess the exit not fully opening is deliberate, but what item do I need to open it? Some grease? And where is it and how do I get and use it? After all, it's not an inventory game like some strictly adventure-platform games such as Dizzy...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 23:29 And I guess I'll ask in advance. It's about some bugs at the end and bugfixes. It's detailed here, for example. But I still don't know which part of the text I should paste. The "1. fix bad jump address etc." too? Or only everything beginning with "%"? It's unclear to players who are not knowledgeable about coding, and hey, it's not required for playing, not knowing coding is not a thing to be ashamed of!
I guess you're right. this is indeed kinda hard to decipher. for some reason the last wiki update made things look kind of quirky over there. let me fix the broken formatting real quick....
ok. so if you follow that LINK you'll find an updated version of that patch file instructions which should be much more user friendly. if things should still appear unclear to you, please don't hesitate and ask
out now (link) : Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I also have another little problem. I'm stuck at the Border Woods level. In a cavern with two spitting plants (one in my case, I'm playing with lowest difficulty settings as always), near the top left on the map, there are two platforms which can be activated. I need to activate the upper one to get to the blue gem. But I have no idea where its switch could be. I have already encountered several switches and turned them on, and I'm fairly sure that I haven't missed anything.
By the way, the plant spits pretty fast and I guess I'll have to go back around it - is there any way to shoot it?
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 Edit: I found the Poison River level and felt sure that I'll complete it in a while... but nope. I guess the exit not fully opening is deliberate, but what item do I need to open it? Some grease? And where is it and how do I get and use it?
This isn't made obvious at all, so I'll just tell you: the door in the top central part of the map is a red herring, and not the exit. The exit is at the left end of the map. You need to shoot the Robo Wrecks on top of that structure to the left and into the river, and then jump across them to the exit. You need lots of ammo to do this, so avoid any enemies you possibly can. The Mutate-O Tentacles and Junk Balls in that specific level, for instance, can be ignored. In general, try to conserve ammo by not shooting every Loafer Mite or Fliphead you see, otherwise, you'll run out pretty quickly.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I still have much ammo, I guess that's the advantage of lowest difficulty settings... Anyway, I have another problem, described in an edit above.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Edit: I'm at the Gleam City level... oh no, invincible bad guys again... but how do I get back up? I have powered some lifts, have a red gem, but no idea how to get where I need to use it... There is one moving platform running in the free, not inside a shaft, but I can't jump from it to a platform higher up to the left...
This map, there's a skyway sign near the bottom right. I can get to both corridors on the right and the bottom left, the one with a trashcan - but I can't jump on the blue roof...
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I'm sending a separate post in the hope that it will be noticed. I'm still at the Gleam City level and my perception of this game moved from "This is hard" to "This is unfair". Anyway, there's even a video walkthough online... and yet I don't know how to setup the planets in the room near upper left to "fly" like in the video and get to the ledge with the blue gem... How should I know it?
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Please help. Around 14:55 in this video walkthough, I can't figure out how to do it. (See also previous post.) I just can't get that far up.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

In the end my only option was to cheat to get the blue gem.
Anyway, I'm at the Glass Gardens. Do you have at least any advice how to deal with these bad guys with rifles? What to do to have them further away when trying to jump on their platform (they are always right the closest to Keen and shoot whenever they have him in view), or maybe how to lure them down? In this level it happened once, in Gleam City it happened a few times, but rather randomly, this time Keen got killed before I could react...
Maps for "glass levels" are wrong, they don't include enemies. And they are included on maps of earlier levels. Why this diference? I understand that it's probably technical and not intentional, but it's quite unfortunate...
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Oh please help me. (Yes, I know that it's bordering on spamming, but I have a right to be annoyed!) Why is the bad guy with a rifle even there on lowest difficulty level? Having them somewhere where you need to jump and not just pass through is too hard for the double-left-handed.
Please, any advice on what influences his movement? He can't be shot, but can he be drawn away? What to do to have him far from the edge of the platform when I jump on it? I lose more than two seconds on getting up there - maybe less with a pogo stick, but I so far never managed to do it without getting shot... Or where should I be jumping, and when, to lure him to the lower platform? This way at least the upper one is clear... So far I managed to lure him down three times, but two times it happened as Keen was getting shot, and one time he got shot before he could get to the upper platform...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:16 Edit: I'm at the Gleam City level... oh no, invincible bad guys again... but how do I get back up? I have powered some lifts, have a red gem, but no idea how to get where I need to use it... There is one moving platform running in the free, not inside a shaft, but I can't jump from it to a platform higher up to the left...
This map, there's a skyway sign near the bottom right. I can get to both corridors on the right and the bottom left, the one with a trashcan - but I can't jump on the blue roof...
In order to go up, where you first start the level with the multiple presents, you will drop down and go left. There will be Kreeg there. The key is to get him to shoot at you right when he is at the ledge. He will fall down. You will continue left until you see a pink ledge up above. Continue climbing up. There will be a fliphead next to a red gemholder and an open door. Use your red gem, climb up, go right and then drop down to the open door. When you go through that door there are poisonous vegetables in the room and you need to duck and navigate to a switch. That switch will activate a electric pathway up top. You will run left across this then drop down. There will be another Kreeg guarding 4 open doors. The open door second from the left has a switch in that room. Flipping that switch will activate the second electric pathway at the top. This will lead to another red gem holder that opens the room with the planets inside and the blue gem at the top. Obviously you will have to grab a second red gem in order to access the room. There will be 4 buttons. Hit the button for the green planet surrounded by rings. Keep hitting the button until the rings are horizontal. Then you can stand on the planet and jump up to get the blue gem.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I have already completed Gleam City - with cheating, I admit - and I'm now at Glass Gardens. Look at my post above: when and where should I move to get to the ledge before the Kreeg shoots? So far multiple attempts to no avail...
I don't even want to cheat here because I don't want to rush through this level. I want to visit its various parts and take more screenshots...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 15:49 I have already completed Gleam City - with cheating, I admit - and I'm now at Glass Gardens. Look at my post above: when and where should I move to get to the ledge before the Kreeg shoots? So far multiple attempts to no avail...
I don't even want to cheat here because I don't want to rush through this level. I want to visit its various parts and take more screenshots...
I didn't say for you to get near the ledge, get him near the ledge, when he shoots right at the ledge he will fall down to the next flat surface. Getting him to chase you and dodging his shots, he should eventually come to the edge. It will take patience on your part because of him shooting at random it could take a bit for him to get to the ledge. Now if he is on a long piece of land then you should be able to dodge him and get past him. On small areas that it will be very difficult to dodge him is when you get him to drop down somewhere else.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees