KNP games won't work in Windows 98

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

KNP games won't work in Windows 98

Post by Quillax »

I got Windows 98 installed on a computer a while ago, and for a while it could only display 16 colors. During this time, games made with Klik & Play (Commander Keen 2000, Mario & Yoshi, etc.) would run, but look horrible. Recently, I was playing around with the system settings, and I managed to get Intel(R) Extreme Graphics installed and working. To get that display adapter working, I set a couple memory ranges to these settings:

30000000 - 37FFFFFF
FFA00000 - FFA7FFFF

After restarting the computer, I was able to get a lot more colors. Unfortunately, however, the KNP games stopped working. Whenever I try running one, I would get a blank window and then this error message:

Code: Select all

Not enough memory.
Try closing any other applications
that may be running and click on RETRY.

Retry               Cancel
Games made with The Games Factory or Click & Create (a TGF experiment I made a while ago, Yoshi vs. Windows: Platinum Edition, etc.), as well as DOS games, will work just fine. Yet, KNP games refused to run, although when I click on "Cancel" the "Klik & Play" ad will pop up correctly. This error message occurred when I have the colors set to True Color -- running a KNP game with 256 Colors or High Color will show a blank window and then the computer reboots itself. I closed all programs, except for Explorer (because attempting to close that one gives me the Shut down menu), and then ran Commander Keen 2000 through a shortcut, but it still wouldn't work! I once changed the second memory range I listed earlier to 2FE8000 - 2FEFFFFF, and it made the computer unusable. And yes, I do have the KNP DLLs (KNPS.DLL and KNPG.DLL) included with the KNP games.

I tried looking for answers online, but I couldn't really find any so far. The only possible solution I found so far is to set the display adapter so that it uses automatic settings (and thus makes it conflict with "System board extension for ACPI BIOS"). It gets the KNP games working again, but the colors return to just a mere 16, the latter of which is not what I wanted.

Does anyone know a solution that gets KNP games running on Windows 98 while retaining the high color count? Is there something I'm missing here?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: KNP games won't work in Windows 98

Post by DoomJedi »

I have still my Click&Play games (that I made), but no place to run them on :)

If someone can - can post mine here :)

I can run my Game Maker creations - those run well :)
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I have a Windows 7 system that runs KNP games very well, although one of them (Mario & Yoshi) will crash if played for a long time. I don't know if that's a compatibility issue or the programmer's fault, though. If you don't mind, I'd like to try your KNP games! I have TGF, so I could use it to convert those games to 32-bit applications if you want. The problem, however, is that TGF will mess up certain parts of the game. For example, when I load Keen 2000 into TGF, Keen will work fine in the first room/frame, but then has issues in the next room/frame. So the games would have to be edited to undo TGF's side effects. I don't know how much work that would be, though.

Who knows, maybe that's what I will have to do to get these KNP games running on my Windows 98.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I just downloaded Games Factory and started messing around with it :dopekeen I wish I would've had something like this when I was younger.