Wiby - Search Engine for the Classic Web

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Wiby - Search Engine for the Classic Web

Post by Quillax »

Has anyone ever heard of Wiby? It's a neat search engine made for discovering websites, that is, the old and old-school ones. It uses its own index (list of pages), and you can add to it! Here's a link:

https://wiby.me/

Before I discovered it, there were only a few Keen-related pages. Since then, however, I've added tons of Keen pages! Just type in "keen" or "keen mods" and you'll see what's there! Well, most pages actually, since Wiby will only show so many pages, unfortunately. It also has a problem with repeating some pages. It's still worth a shot, though! Who knows, maybe you'll discover something Keen that you have never seen before! Be sure to add any classic Keen pages if they aren't on Wiby already!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Wiby - Search Engine for the Classic Web

Post by Benvolio »

This is quite interesting. I'm guessing it is in its early days basing on the search results I have obtained for other search strings. The results for "Commander Keen" for instance are much more well populated than "Chemical Brothers" which was the next thing that popped into my head to search. I guess it probably needs as many people as possible to sit down contribute the good websites that they know. It's hard to gauge how good the search algorithm is yet, as there is not yet much material for it to search. I presume the overall idea of Wiby is to be able to get search results that are less commercial and less dependent on the homogenising forces of social media.

Edit: I just searched "Ireland" and found www.irishmidifiles.ie. I'm impressed!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Quite awesome! Thanks for sharing. I like when i search for "keen" to get Commander Keen results instead of shoes and whatever Google shows these days.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

You're welcome, Roobar!

Guess what? I submitted PCKF and Wiby actually added it! I wonder if this might lead to new users on the forum. They didn't accept KeenWiki, though.
Benvolio wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 This is quite interesting. I'm guessing it is in its early days basing on the search results I have obtained for other search strings. The results for "Commander Keen" for instance are much more well populated than "Chemical Brothers" which was the next thing that popped into my head to search. I guess it probably needs as many people as possible to sit down contribute the good websites that they know. It's hard to gauge how good the search algorithm is yet, as there is not yet much material for it to search. I presume the overall idea of Wiby is to be able to get search results that are less commercial and less dependent on the homogenising forces of social media.

Edit: I just searched "Ireland" and found www.irishmidifiles.ie. I'm impressed!
It's interesting that you say there's not much material -- for me I get a lot of results for both "Commander Keen" and "Chemical Brothers". Could it be a regional thing? You pretty much got the idea about at least part of its purpose right, though. I suggest you to look at the About Wiby page if you haven't already. That's a cool site you just found! *insert an Irish emotikeen*
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Yes, finally a default search engine for me :p
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I got pretty into this a few days ago, continuously clicking Suprise Me for hours. Glad to see personal websites like these aren't dead. I want to start my own personal website eventually.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Glad to see that people are enjoying Wiby! :) Yeah, Surprise Me can be very useful! I just clicked on it today and came across a neat metal MIDI site! I'd love to see your personal website, Pandakeen, when it comes!