What Music Are You Listening To?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: What Music Are You Listening To?

Post by Quillax »

I've been listening to good ol' rock 'n roll music of the 50s, like Tequila, Yakety Yak, and We're Gonna Rock Around The Clock! Good stuff!
Soul Monster wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 0:57 And also, since it's that time of year, I've been listening to the soundtrack to the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special.
Oh yeah, that's also really good! I remember listening to it very often last year!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Monochromatic Black- Vicissitude, the new album comes out on 11-26. I pre-ordered it and got it a week early.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Quillax wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:03 I've been listening to good ol' rock 'n roll music of the 50s, like Tequila, Yakety Yak, and We're Gonna Rock Around The Clock! Good stuff!
Always classics! There's so much nostalgia to that era of rock n' roll.
Oh yeah, that's also really good! I remember listening to it very often last year!
Me too! Listening to it almost daily right now!

EDIT: Just downloaded my own copy off of YouTube.
Syllypryde wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 15:34 Monochromatic Black- Vicissitude, the new album comes out on 11-26. I pre-ordered it and got it a week early.
Isn't that crazy? I had the same experience a couple months ago. Not only did I get my album 4 days before its release, but it also came with a signed 5x5 of the cover art.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:05 Isn't that crazy? I had the same experience a couple months ago. Not only did I get my album 4 days before its release, but it also came with a signed 5x5 of the cover art.
Who was it and where did you order the pre-lease?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Saw New Order for the second time, in the O2 in London, a couple of weeks ago. Love their shows as they're filled with positivity and performed at a high quality. It feels slightly odd that there is a parallel Peter Hook and the Light, both outfits laying claim to the Joy Division and New Order lineage. It was great to enjoy a reintroduction to the world of live music, and in fact in the same week as seeing them I also went to see a much more up-and-coming shoegaze outfit called Bdrmm who put on a great show. They just have one album out and I'd recommend a listen on spotify. Their sound seems to synthesise that mysterious early 80s sound (Seventeen Seconds type stuff) into an otherwise 90s-rooted aesthetic.

Other than that I'm seeking energy from the proto- and post- punk eras to propel me through the dourness of winter and these mediocre times. Eclectic bundle of artists on regular rotation include The Jam, Squeeze, the Stooges, Wipers, Wire, Celtic Frost, R.E.M. and the Cro-Mags.

I find Adele's music generally of little interest to me but I applaud her insistence on respect for the full length album on streaming platforms. I hope this somehow helps that medium continue to exist in the wider public consciousness.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 14:59 Who was it and where did you order the pre-lease?
It was for Myles Kennedy's new album The Ides Of March. Pre-ordered it off his website for like $20 total.

Also, it's cool that more people are starting to post in this thread now. Hope it keeps up like this.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Currently listening to Dean Martin music. Man, what a good singer! Prior to that, I was listening to killer MP3s of songs from Dead in the Desert, Battle of the Brains, and Atroxian Realm. Like Soul Monster, it's great to see more people post here!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
The Shifted One
Grunt

Post by The Shifted One »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 18:42 Lately I've been listening to Buckethead's 31 Days 'Til Halloween series. Back in October 2015, Buckethead released 1 album a day for a month counting down to Halloween, and they're a collection of dark, ambient albums that would sound perfect in a haunted house. To be honest, I think they get kind of generic at times, and there's some that I have a really hard time sitting through, but there's still some gems in them, and it's like having an advent calendar for Halloween.

EDIT: I've been listening to some of these while reading H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe stories or working on Halloween artwork, and they actually work well to enhance the atmosphere.
I'm a huge fan of Buckethead's music and that series really does stand out for its atmosphere.
Glad to see there are more people that can appreciate it!

I'm currently listening to Песни смерти by Путь (Pesni Smerti by Put, translated "Death songs by Path").
If atmospheric Russian black metal is your thing I can really recommend this one to you ;)
Existence is futile!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

The Shifted One wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 ......I'm currently listening to Песни смерти by Путь (Pesni Smerti by Put, translated "Death songs by Path").
If atmospheric Russian black metal is your thing I can really recommend this one to you ;)
If you're into Russian metal, have you ever heard a band named Dehydrated?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Since it's that time of year, I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music. For me the gold standard is the Charlie Brown Christmas music by Vince Guaraldi, and it's the kind of Christmas music I could listen to on loop for hours on end. I've also been putting Christmas music on either on the radio or on Pandora, which has this one station that I'm really getting into that plays a lot of Christmas songs from Ray Charles.
The Shifted One wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 I'm a huge fan of Buckethead's music and that series really does stand out for its atmosphere.
Glad to see there are more people that can appreciate it!
Oh wow, didn't expect to find another Buckethead fan on here, I'm even more surprised to find one who actually enjoys the Halloween series! Just curious, what are some of your favorite albums by Bucket?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:13 Oh wow, didn't expect to find another Buckethead fan on here, I'm even more surprised to find one who actually enjoys the Halloween series! Just curious, what are some of your favorite albums by Bucket?
I've delved a little bit into Buckethead since he has collaborated with Les Claypool of Primus. However, I haven't heard even half of his discography.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Elvis Presley – "Elvis' Christmas Album"
Phil Spector - "The Phil Spector Christmas Album"
Jimmy Durante - "Frosty The Snowman" - cassette (now I find the songs on youtube)
Christmas Carols From Christ Church Cathedral [Dublin]
Joy to the World: A Maynooth Christmas
A Canterbury Christmas
Carols from King's [Cambridge]

And... a treat for the senses... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g471AnA08s
The Shifted One
Grunt

Post by The Shifted One »

Syllypryde wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:15 If you're into Russian metal, have you ever heard a band named Dehydrated?
Yes I have, not bad at all but not entirely for me neither.
But I also must admit not having dived too deep into their library.
Soul Monster wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:13 Oh wow, didn't expect to find another Buckethead fan on here, I'm even more surprised to find one who actually enjoys the Halloween series! Just curious, what are some of your favorite albums by Bucket?
From his original line of albums I'd say The Cuckoo clocks of Hell, Captain EO's voyage and Shadows between the Sky with EO's voyage probable edging them out.
My favorite pikes include in numerical order:
  • 36 - The pit
  • 81 - Carnival of Cartilage
  • 97 - Passageways
  • 131 - Down the bayou Part 1 (I actually own a signed physical copy of this)
  • 132 - Chamber of Drawers
  • 219 - Raindrops on Christmas
  • 231 - Drift
  • 245 - Space Viking (perhaps my favorite)
  • 264 - Poseidon
I have to get up to date with his latest releases though.

My favorite single track is still Nottingham lace.
Every time it pops up in my car I have to fight the urge to speed up to far illegal speeds in my country; I wish we had an autobahn with no speed limits ;)

Christmas music is not meant for me; the whole holiday really isn't so I'm skipping out on that.
My wife is currently going through her teenage emo phase at age 32 again, so I'm stuck listening to My Chemical Romance...
Existence is futile!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

The Shifted One wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:07 Yes I have, not bad at all but not entirely for me neither.
But I also must admit not having dived too deep into their library.
Extreme metal is not for everyone.

What I've been listening to recently:
Infected Rain- Postmortem Pt. 1
Fighter
The Realm of Chaos
From their upcoming album Ecdysis which will be released in two weeks

Once Human- Deadlock
Only in Death
Cold Arrival
From their upcoming album Scar Weaver which will be released in February

Immolation- Apostle
From their upcoming album Acts of God which will be released in February

Crowbar- Chemical Godz
From their upcoming album Zero and Below which will be released in March

Albums:
Jinjer- Wallflowers
Monochromatic Black- Vicissitude
Pig Destroyer- Natasha

Bands:
Clutch
Metallica
Suicidal Tendencies
The Pretty Reckless

Singles:
Arch Enemy- Deceiver, Deceiver
House of Mirrors
Butcher Babies- YorkTown
It's Killing Time, Baby!
Dehydrated- Reborn
Pig Destroyer- Excess
Tool- Invincible
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Listening to lots of heavy duty stuff from back in the day lately...

In approximate order of date but not necessarily genre:

The Exploited - Punk's Not Dead (1981)
Black Flag - Damaged (1981)
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (1982)
The Exploited - Troops of Tomorrow (1982)
The Exploited - Let's Start a War... Said Maggie One Day (1983)
Black Flag - My War (1984)
Black Flag - Slip It In (1984)
Sacrilege - Behind the Realms of Madness (1985)
Amebix - Arise! (1985)
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (1986)
Nuclear Assault - Game Over (1986)
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare (1988)
Dark Angel - Leave Scars (1988)
Laaz Rockit - Annhiilation Principle (1989)
Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care (1989)
Kreator - Extreme Aggression (1989)

Some truly great stuff to be sure. Really helps one cope with how things just don't feel right on planet Earth these days, to hear how similarly people must have felt in the '80s.

As we've had various discussions of female vocalists in heavy music before, I'd like to point out that the vocals by the British "crust punk" (basically Metal) band Sacrilege are excellent and I would point anyone interested towards giving a listen to "Behind The Realms of Madness". It also for me features really well recorded guitars - some might of course disagree - where the rough somewhat low fidelity sound gives it the fearsome aggression that such music deserves - yet the richness of the rhythm guitar tone and its low tuning is far from lost in the process - the heaviness is truly in your face especially on reasonable speakers. I love the lead guitar - for me it carries just the right amount of influence from Kirk Hammett's lead guitar sound on Ride the Lightning - and it brings class metal music values to what remains to some extent a punk record (as much of good metal does).