Happy Thanksgiving 2021!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Happy Thanksgiving 2021!

Post by Soul Monster »

Happy Thanksgiving PCKF!

Anybody got anything planned for how you're going to spend yours?
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2021!

Post by Nisaba »

someone, I forgot who it was, created this neat Keen sprite

out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I can't get my head around thanksgiving. Do people in America feel a deep yearning for it in the way so many people yearn for Christmas. Would you hold thanksgiving celebrations as a pivotal point in how you get through a year? Would you feel the sort of general dismay when it's over, that one might feel after Christmas?
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

From my experience at least, we just eat a family dinner with turkey and stuff. That's about it afaik.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 someone, I forgot who it was, created this neat Keen sprite

Ooh, nice!
Benvolio wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 18:43 I can't get my head around thanksgiving. Do people in America feel a deep yearning for it in the way so many people yearn for Christmas. Would you hold thanksgiving celebrations as a pivotal point in how you get through a year? Would you feel the sort of general dismay when it's over, that one might feel after Christmas?
The short answer is no. To further elaborate, Thanksgiving, for a lot of people, is a more modest holiday where they get together with family, often with those they don't get to see as often, and have a nice meal together. I will admit that I do look back at Thanksgiving with fondness, because there's some I celebrated with family that either passed away or I just don't see anymore. It's certainly not as anticipated or missed as say Halloween or Christmas, but in a lot of ways, it's sort of like the sendoff to the autumn season.

Sadly though, Thanksgiving is becoming more and more overshadowed by Christmas and Black Friday (ugh). Nowadays, I see a lot of people spending their Thanksgivings camping outside stores so they can be first in line for Black Friday sales, which in its own has become its own monstrosity. I swear, every year I turn on the news and they're showing footage of people fighting over a TV or console, trampling over each other or trashing the store or some crap. On one hand, I enjoy these videos for a laugh, but it's also a grim reminder for just how low we've sunk. People are this greedy and selfish that this is what they'll do to get their hands on the latest devices and toys. Isn't that just sad? Anytime I see this unfold, I just laugh and think to myself that I get to be at home on a cold autumn night while these losers freeze to death outside so they can fight over who gets the most toys the next day.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Very interesting. Over in Europe Black Friday has taken off in recent years but seems less store based and more online based than in the US. Personally I have little interest in it and furthermore find it a little unfair on the smaller retailers who don't have the clout in their profit margins to afford these promotions.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Benvolio wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 Very interesting. Over in Europe Black Friday has taken off in recent years but seems less store based and more online based than in the US. Personally I have little interest in it and furthermore find it a little unfair on the smaller retailers who don't have the clout in their profit margins to afford these promotions.
I'm a bit late on replying to this, but to my surprise, this year wasn't as bad, as we didn't have as many people shopping in-store this year, and I didn't hear about a single fight. It does seem like it was more online this year, I'm sure Covid had a hand in that, but there's starting to be a greater emphasis on supporting locally owned stores, which is nice to see. It's still interesting to hear about how Black Friday is by you, and I agree, I don't care about these sales either.