Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
FrostKnight
Meep

Re: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: HUMANIZED!!! (W.I.P.)

Post by FrostKnight »

T-Squared wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 22:31 Your plans are starting to sound like you're about to abandon the Cosmo code and instead mod Cosmo into the Duke Nukem II codebase. That's fine, but at this point, you might as well scrap all of that and move to the Keen Galaxy engine to get some smooth movement going instead of the 8-pixel-steps that Cosmo and Duke 2 use.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that. I'm not planning to do that. I had considered it, but that was a very long time ago. (like, 2009/2010-long-ago) I'm just saying that an external text reader would probably not be so hard to implement in Cosmo, due to the similarities that I found between the text/story files in Duke II and the way that Cosmo generates its text.

Like I said, Cosmo has its text generation, and its picture formatting, "bolted"/hardcoded onto the C code when compiled. (You have to recompile EVERY time you change the text.) Duke II, on the other hand, has an external approach, but with text, window, and picture formatting that seems to match very closely with what I saw in Cosmo's reconstructed C code (Marking an EGA drawing page for use, setting a window origin, and using that origin as a reference point for the rest of the text and picture formatting, and moving through wait delays, sound generation, and text generation), so it shouldn't be hard to implement an external text reader much like how the demo reads its byte/bit-wise formatting for each game tic. I'm not versed in C code, though. I'm already doing some heavy lifting with the story graphics, game graphics, and animation.
I second what yorp said about wanting you to create this.

I am a very huge fan of the cosmos cosmic adventure DOS game in particular, it is not only my childhood, but occasionally, like once every year, or so, I play the original levels from start to finish. Episode 1 = cakewalk
Episode 2 = Medium except level 10 which is a hard pain in the butt, even with all your lives.
Episode 3 = Medium Hard, except level 10, which is tragically, too easy. :O

I hope you make this game, between Hard and Medium, aka, somewhat harder than episode 2 or 3. But of course, not like the homemade levels for the original. They were insanely hard.

I would help, but I have zero skills when it comes to the development process, except to say, I hope you make the boss characters for this, much harder.

Like, reasonably difficult depending on how many lives you have. If you have 5, you should be able to do it without losing more than 4, unless you have a good case of not trying, or well... being reckless.

Then again, it is your project, either way, I sincerely hope it all goes well. Please tell me, when it is at beta level quality. I am eager to see how it works once it is not alpha quality. I don't know how far you have gotten aka, I just heard about this on youtube like a month ago in a search and I just found this area today. ;)
Eatkin
Grunt

Post by Eatkin »

+1 for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. I loved this game as a kid, especially as it was oneo f the only games on 3d realms I could actually beat :lol a new Cosmo would be a welcome gift.

I have a little bit of experience with game development so level design and things I could help with, C programming I'd be next to useless though I'm afraid. I have done pixel art but I wouldn't say I'm actually particularly good at it.

Always feel a bit reluctant to collab on things because I never want to feel like I let people down but hit me up if you want. I also know a couple composers whom I could reach out to.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Will this be an Apogee format game, or a game in modern languages?

Basically, will the game use IMF's or digital audio? Depending on the reply, I might be able to help.
FrostKnight
Meep

Post by FrostKnight »

spikey wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 19:17 Will this be an Apogee format game, or a game in modern languages?

Basically, will the game use IMF's or digital audio? Depending on the reply, I might be able to help.
I don't know myself, but I wondered if you saw this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U6a52e3zmUY

That being said, if it is compatible with dosbox, I imagine it would be the more arcane of the two sound choices.

Also, I really hope it is dosbox compatible.

Btw, I hope it is dosbox compatible, I use something unixish

;)

Hmm... it looks like it probably is IMF:
posting.php?mode=quote&p=66915

this is on page one of this entire thread. :)
Last edited by FrostKnight on Mon Jan 24, 2022 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Really, the one main thing I need help with is C programming. That's the main issue. I think offloading the texts and effect markups in the game is a good idea, because that's what seems to take up the most room in the compiled program. I'd also like to be able to add larger sprites, like Commander Keen or Duke Nukem 2.

Another small issue is bouncing ideas off of people, because I want to get feedback on the ideas I want to put into the game.

The graphics are no problem. The music isn't either, nor is the story.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com