Grand Theft Keen

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
q 90
Vortininja

Grand Theft Keen

Post by q 90 »

I'm going to attempt to mod either Grand Theft Auto: Vice City or San Andreas to create a Keen mod of either of those games. It would be an entirely new storyline and whatnot, and I PROMISE you will not see Keen killing prostitutes and doing blow and etcetera.

Anyway there was a full post here but I deleted it because it just went on and on and on, so the next few posts might refer to things I deleted but whatevz.
Last edited by q 90 on Sat May 23, 2009 7:33, edited 4 times in total.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hah, an odd idea for sure, but good luck with it. However I'm a bit confused -- do you mean a game or a mod? Or is your plan to take pictures of the 3D models from different angles to make the sprite graphics?

Edit: Forget everything I asked, I finally managed to read the title of your post correctly. A Vice City mod... Well, it's not going to be an easy job, that's for sure.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah sounds like an interesting if unusual idea...sure ya can try if you want
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Yeah, uh, unusual is a good word for it. Don't worry, though, I PROMISE you won't see Keen killing prostitutes and sniping peoples' heads off. I'm just using the engine because it's waaaaaay easier than doing something from scratch (obviously).
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

Post by grafix »

Prod Lava89 and see if he'll let you use his models from Commander Keen 64. If the physical distances are too great, you could just PM him instead.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Wow, grafix, haven't seen you post here in a bit. Edit: Haha I just got the joke about prodding.

But I completely forgot about Commander Keen 64 for some odd reason. :dopekeen Lava89, if you're reading this, think you could post a link to the CK model you made (in either Blender or 3DSMax or Milkshape format or whatever you created it with)?

P.S. I'm not trying to undermine you or anything by releasing another 3D Commander Keen, I promise! I'll eventually use another model down the line, but in the meantime...
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

ARGH!!!! OH MY GAWSH HOW CULD U TRY TO MAKE ANUTHER FREE DEE KEEN!!!!!! GAAAARRRRRGGGGGG! FEEL MY WRATH!!!!!!

just kidding :D

Nah, I don't feel you're undermining Keen 64. Because it's goal is not upset by other Keen games being made, right now Keen 64 is meant to replicate the first Keen in 3D and then in the style of the N64 games. It's just like the discussion before about whether a Mario 64 Mod would "compete" with Keen 64-- it wouldn't...because it's goal is not the same as Keen 64. And even if the goal was the same I don't think it would come out the same way as mine-- it's just like when 2 artists take on the same subject, they're each going to have their own take on it. Plus I believe if we work together (like here or when I offered to donate graphics to the Mario 64 mod) instead of "competing", better things will come out of it, so I feel if you can make a better Keen game than mine that is better for the community.

So yeah, you can use the models I made in Keen 64, I consider those free to the Keen community (especially since I don't own Keen's likeness anyways). I'll post them soon in other formats.

What format works with GTA? I'll try to convert it via Milkshape. That's very important to state when making requests for game development :)
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Cool, thanks so much man! Yeah, our projects have two completely different goals, and they're both going to end up being their own animals in the end. A GTA mod and a 3D game built from scratch are naturally going to end up being two completely different things anyway. Competition [usually] works best for the consumer in the end, anyway. :)

Oh, and the format that works best is 3DSMax or GMax. I can't say I know a whole lot about 3D design (I'm definitely not the most artistic guy ever, additionally), so I don't know if it'll be difficult exporting to that format...?
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

q 90 wrote:Oh, and the format that works best is 3DSMax or GMax. I can't say I know a whole lot about 3D design (I'm definitely not the most artistic guy ever, additionally), so I don't know if it'll be difficult exporting to that format...?
Hmm...well Milkshape 3D can only export into 3DS and not GMax. And unfortunately 3DS doesn't support animation. So do you want to animate the Keen model yourself? Or do you know of another file format that works with GTA?
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

3DS is completely fine; and nope I don't need the animations, just the character model in a T-shape pose to add bones.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

But anyway yes to answer your question I would animate them myself if you export them to 3DSmax.... um not to rush you or anything but how's the exporting going? NO rush at all!!!!!!!!!
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

Whether game or mod its cool
RIP Eduard Khil
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

HoboRed wrote:Whether game or mod its cool
Can you read? :P It says it's a mod of a different game. :P
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Hey man, I am really sorry about the delay. Here are the models. I put in 2 versions, one is T-shaped, as you requested. The other is the one I actually used to animate, where his arms are relaxed, so I thought you might have better luck with this one, since it's what I used, but either way, see what works for you.

If you have any questions please let me know.

And these files are for anyone to use, they're Public Domain as far as I am concerned.

http://files.filefront.com/13821561
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Hey no problem, thanks a MILLION for doing that!!!!!!!!!! I finally found the damn 3DS Max add-on that works with GTA, so hopefully I can get some test screens fairly soon.
Whether game or mod its cool
I initially worded it a bit too vague so there was some confusion as to what it was, but thanks for the comment!!!