Keen 14: Secret of the Sorcerer

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 14: Secret of the Sorcerer

Post by DarkAle »

I usually take the KEEN6.EXE from DitD, use that one
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Version 1.2
https://www.mediafire.com/file/328chckn ... 2.rar/file

Ok, this should be the last update. I fixed that dead end in "Great Cliff" and made a little edit in "Ancient Hill". I didn't fix the other bugs/glitches/errors that @Soul Monster told me about because I don't know how to fix them, I'm really sorry
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

This looks nice :)

Artwise it's high-quality, a bit too grainy/dithery for my personal taste (especially on the background) - as dithering is meant to add effect of shading and additional colors/color transitions, but without using the main colors large enough - what does dithering add?
Still, top notch art, has some new artstyle to it.

Very cool music :)
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Thanks for your post, DoomJedi. Well, before I got these wonderful graphics, I had a tileset of the Keen 6 recolored ones. When I asked to improve them anything was fine, I received this and was blown away

Anyway, here's another update: I didn't realize the planet name was wrong and I changed some level entries
Version 1.3
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jcfixxes ... 3.rar/file
thegoodwoman
Meep

Post by thegoodwoman »

So this will sound really dumb to most people here, but is there anyone who can tell me how to play this mod?

I'm a 40 year old woman with no programming skills who just has nostalgia for Commander Keen. I've played all the cool mods people have made and enjoyed them with my kids. This one I can't seem to figure out how to play, though. I gather I need to use the Commander Keen 6 game as a base to run the mod. I found somewhere to download that. I've also downloaded this mod of the game. I tried the usual things I've done in the past to make other mods work by dragging the files over, but nothing works. My husband who is actually good with computers looked at it and couldn't see how to do it either.

So, is there anyone who has time to direct me to really detailed instructions or can explain it to me here? I love trying new mods and my kids and I were all disappointed when we couldn't get this one to work. Thanks in advance!

:garg
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

thegoodwoman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 22:58 So this will sound really dumb to most people here, but is there anyone who can tell me how to play this mod?

I'm a 40 year old woman with no programming skills who just has nostalgia for Commander Keen. I've played all the cool mods people have made and enjoyed them with my kids. This one I can't seem to figure out how to play, though. I gather I need to use the Commander Keen 6 game as a base to run the mod. I found somewhere to download that. I've also downloaded this mod of the game. I tried the usual things I've done in the past to make other mods work by dragging the files over, but nothing works. My husband who is actually good with computers looked at it and couldn't see how to do it either.

So, is there anyone who has time to direct me to really detailed instructions or can explain it to me here? I love trying new mods and my kids and I were all disappointed when we couldn't get this one to work. Thanks in advance!

:garg
Hello and welcome to PCKF!

Can you tell me which version of Keen 6 you own? In order to run this mod and any other Keen 6 mods you'll have to have a copy of Keen 6 version 1.4 on hand. I forget the explanation why, but they require that specific version. All you should need to do then is to copy and paste the Keen6.EXE file into the Keen 14 folder and you should be good to go.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Hello, thegoodwoman
Yes, Soul Monster is right: you need KEEN6.EXE version 1.4, but it must NOT be taken from the original game, it needs to be decompressed with Unlzexe, so take it from a Keen 6 mod, like Keen 8: Dead in the Desert, where it's already decompressed
thegoodwoman
Meep

Post by thegoodwoman »

Ok, I actually finally figured it out! Someone mentioned getting the file from Dead in the Desert and I did and then it worked. So maybe that was causing the problem before. Thanks for those trying to help me! I wish I knew anything about computer programming so I could make a mod, but I appreciate those who have such skills and make fun mods. My kids really like to play through them with me.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I think it's time for an update
Version 1.4
https://www.mediafire.com/file/8iadofo0 ... 4.rar/file
Looking at Shikadi-Netzwerk's gameplay I noticed that I made a terrible mistake: in version 1.3 I removed ALL the points from the secret areas to make the images of the levels to be uploaded on KeenWiki and I forgot to add them again. In this version:
  • I modified the .BIN files so that the name of the trilogy is Robot Apocalypse and no longer Robot Attack
  • I have kept the changed level names in version 1.3
  • I restored the secret areas
Please, FORGIVE MY AWFUL MISTAKE :'(
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Hello dear DarkAle!

So, are you ready for me to stream this very mod on Twitch? Is everything adjusted for a chaotic player like me? ;D
A project for lifetime.