Keen 5 secret level

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
alexis92
Grunt

Re: Keen 5 secret level

Post by alexis92 »

I found out about the secret levels LONG after ever playing the games, in some video I was watching about easter eggs and secrets in retro video games. Blew my mind at the timee haha!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I remember getting the secret level crash years ago. I tried to figure out some way to stop it from crashing, and from the error "Goplat moved to a bad spot" I inferred that the lil Scottish guys were called Goplats (since that was the only thing I could see that was moving on the screen, I guess) so that's what I called them for quite a while.

My theory was that if I shot the "Goplat" before it reached some ambiguous harmful point in the middle of the starting area it would prevent the error. I think sometimes the game didn't crash when I tried this, leading me to believe that my theory was correct, although accuracy of preventing collision with the forsaken spot was not reliable, I'd assume. Nowadays I suppose that it was all only a coincidence and the real deciding factor was the difficulty mode I happened to choose, though at the time it only reinforced the misconception regarding the name of the moustached teddy bears. I remember when I started reading KeenWiki et cetera I was confused why the platforms were commonly referred to as Goplats when that was clearly the name of the aliens.

Also, hello new person. Welcome to our quiet community. Have some tea.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
alexis92
Grunt

Post by alexis92 »

Haha! Thanks for the welcome, I'd love some tea!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

No problem! Just ask the nearest Little Ampton, I think they just made a fresh batch in the Brownian Motion Inducer.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I think for a while, I also thought the Koraths were called Goplats too, although that might've more been because that's what a lot of other people call those aliens. What made things more confusing, I believe, was that in Battle of the Brains, a type of Goplat is turned into a Krodacian, which acts just like a Korath except harmful.

Also, welcome to PCKF, alexis92! As proYorp, the Little Amptons have made some nice tea! They'll also play very good music for you!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
alexis92
Grunt

Post by alexis92 »

proYorp wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:02 No problem! Just ask the nearest Little Ampton, I think they just made a fresh batch in the Brownian Motion Inducer.
I'll do just that! :lol