Make your own Platformer

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Make your own Platformer

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

:garg https://the-l0bster.itch.io/pocket-platformer :garg

A very simple platformer-maker. Includes optional walljumping and dashing, but no pogo stick, although I'm sure some of you could figure out what javascript to add for that.
I played around with it and have made a 10-level game that'll come out when I've finished all the sound for it. Even I, a noob, managed to poke around in the HTML until I figured out how to customise the sound FX and make the music change with each level.

Pocket Platformer is still in development but what there is here could be a nice, simple tool to make a proof of concept or mockup for that platformer you've been inspired by Keen to make.

I'm assuming there's enough of an intersection between "people who like platformers" and "people who make games" around here to warrant posting this tool and others that serve a similar purpose.

So, what other tools do you use for making platformers, besides modding Commander Keen?
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Make your own Platformer

Post by Nisaba »

pen&paper basically. all starts with a long train ride and some quick drafts
out now (link) : Image
alexis92
Grunt

Re: Make your own Platformer

Post by alexis92 »

Toomuchsparetime wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:55 :garg https://the-l0bster.itch.io/pocket-platformer :garg

A very simple platformer-maker. Includes optional walljumping and dashing, but no pogo stick, although I'm sure some of you could figure out what javascript to add for that.
I played around with it and have made a 10-level game that'll come out when I've finished all the sound for it. Even I, a noob, managed to poke around in the HTML until I figured out how to customise the sound FX and make the music change with each level.

Pocket Platformer is still in development but what there is here could be a nice, simple tool to make a proof of concept or mockup for that platformer you've been inspired by Keen to make.

I'm assuming there's enough of an intersection between "people who like platformers" and "people who make games" around here to warrant posting this tool and others that serve a similar purpose.

So, what other tools do you use for making platformers, besides modding Commander Keen?
This is actually quite user-friendly! Excited to see the game you're making!