Any modern day VR gamers here that can help out?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Any modern day VR gamers here that can help out?

Post by Benvolio »

I'm very skeptical of the benefits of VR... I'd much rather see life through a cathode ray tube in EGA myself.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I've dabbled in VR. I first got a Rift in 2017 and experimented with a little VR hobby development in Unity. And I bought a Quest 2 around Black Friday last year when it was heavily discounted.

Personally, I find VR really cool but also difficult to tolerate. I'm prone to motion sickness even from normal first person games (especially if they have fast turning and movement). Even tame VR experiences can make me feel a bit bleh afterwards, so it's hard to find the motivation to use it much. It's also just not very comfortable physically.

In general, VR games also tend to be pricey, so if you're cost sensitive it might be hard to justify spending a lot of money on these games that you may not even like after 10 minutes. For example, I tried RE4 VR, and I couldn't handle the full locomotion mode. You can play it with teleporting, but I found the gameplay a bit too demanding for that to work well.

If you're worried about whether you might be affected by motion sickness, I'd recommend going cheap first. I do think the Quest 2 is a pretty solid starter headset. It doesn't require a cable (although you can buy a PC link cable if you want access to platforms like SteamVR), and the resolution is decent. Importantly, it doesn't require an expensive gaming PC. As long as you're okay with Facebook/Meta...
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
alexis92
Grunt

Post by alexis92 »

Gridlock wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 18:56 I've dabbled in VR. I first got a Rift in 2017 and experimented with a little VR hobby development in Unity. And I bought a Quest 2 around Black Friday last year when it was heavily discounted.

Personally, I find VR really cool but also difficult to tolerate. I'm prone to motion sickness even from normal first person games (especially if they have fast turning and movement). Even tame VR experiences can make me feel a bit bleh afterwards, so it's hard to find the motivation to use it much. It's also just not very comfortable physically.

In general, VR games also tend to be pricey, so if you're cost sensitive it might be hard to justify spending a lot of money on these games that you may not even like after 10 minutes. For example, I tried RE4 VR, and I couldn't handle the full locomotion mode. You can play it with teleporting, but I found the gameplay a bit too demanding for that to work well.

If you're worried about whether you might be affected by motion sickness, I'd recommend going cheap first. I do think the Quest 2 is a pretty solid starter headset. It doesn't require a cable (although you can buy a PC link cable if you want access to platforms like SteamVR), and the resolution is decent. Importantly, it doesn't require an expensive gaming PC. As long as you're okay with Facebook/Meta...
First off, thanks for replying! I actually relate to what you said about motion sickness and although I don't know what VR is going to do to me, I'm at least willing to give it a go. About the games, I do have a friend who'll hook me up with a few games in the beginning, letting me see if VR is really worth the hype. I'll keep this thread updated with what I end up getting!