[Off-topic] Would love some help!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
alexis92
Grunt

[Off-topic] Would love some help!

Post by alexis92 »

Hi team! Sorry for the off-topic post, but I would love some help.

Does anyone have any experience with Windshield replacement jobs for their cars? I recently got into a mild crash and came out unscathed luckily! but my front bumper and windshield are cracked! I'm not much of a car guy, I believe that if it runs and gets me where I need to go, I'm pretty much set :lol I was talking to a friend of mine and the topic of repairs came up and I've been quite confused since. He asked if I was going to get the windshield replaced with an OEM glass windshield or an aftermarket product.

Now, personally speaking, I have no clue what any of that means, so I'd love some help! I did a little research using some guides like these [MOD EDIT: spam detected by Keening_Product, link redacted by Fleexy] to see what I'm actually diving into (driving into, I should say) however, it would be great to hear about this from someone with experience! any advice would be appreciated! :begging

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Re: [Off-topic] Would love some help!

Post by Spikenexus »

I had a rock smash into my windscreen (from a truck travelling the opposite direction) last year leaving a pretty nice crack in it. It didn't actually break through the glass but did leave an ever traveling crack along the glass. I delayed getting my windscreen repaired for a while after discovering that my car insurance didn't actually cover windscreens.

A few months later another rock smashed into my windscreen in almost identical circumstances. I called up a local windscreen repair place, they came out to my house and replaced it in my driveway.

None of that really answers your question about OEM vs aftermarket, though I don't think I was ever given the option of OEM or aftermarket. My windshield doesn't have any sensors or camera attached to it (i.e., it's just a slab of glass) so maybe that makes a difference?

I guess if I was presented with this choice, I'd be asking:
- price of OEM windscreen vs aftermarket
- what does the OEM have that the aftermarket doesn't (apparently there can be variances in properties like glass thickness, color, UV protection)
- does your car insurance cover aftermarket windscreens?

Best of luck, these sorts of things can sometimes feel like there are a thousand different variables to choose from.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Spike, you should go into spam writing – your post is better than the one you replied to.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

Where did the original post go?!

I was wondering at the time whether the post was legit, I'm now guessing it wasn't.

The advice I've provided above regarding windscreen replacements is still valid though as it's something I've personally experienced. Feel free to reach out if you're ever in the scenario of need a new windscreen for your car.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

So was I, a little bit... a number of threads leading to hotlinked third party sites....which I didn't choose to click. More sophisticated than previous spammers whose posts could be googled and found duplicated on numerous forums.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Mhm. I was just wondering if it was ever resolved whether this was spam or not, then I see this. I was immediately suspicious the minute I saw something so wildly unrelated to this community from a new user, who'd have better chances finding a forum about cars if they were serious. About buying a product, no less. Then the fact that this "alexis92" account hasn't posted since then made me suspect posting the link to those "guides" was their ultimate goal.

Talking about VR, I'd reasonably believe. At least that's marginally related to Keen by being a computer game. Makes me wonder if the link in that thread is illegitimate or if it was just to test the waters...

A very sophisticated scam, I agree. I said in a report that it definitely has to be a human, but noted they hadn't posted anything substantial that couldn't already be inferred from existing posts, and that if it was an act it was pretty convincing. The odd messages could easily be taken as a new user getting their bearings, and the rest seemed to have a good context of what Keen is. It's almost impressive. Seeing almost con-artist type mind tricks at play here... very high-level spam. They must be evolving, oh no. :stoned
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

WAIT ALEXIS92 WAS A SPAMBOT ALL ALONG!? BOING
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Oh, by the way. Realized I forgot something with all the strangeness of the situation: Thank you for taking care of it Keening_Product!
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image