Forums vs. Discord

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Which of the following do you prefer to use?

Forums (like PCKF)
83%
Discord
17%

Total votes: 24

DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Forums vs. Discord

Post by DoomJedi »

So true
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Forums vs. Discord

Post by proYorp »

Personally, I don't work well with Discord. I was going to take this thread as an good opportunity to lay down all my grievances with it just so I could get it all out of my head, but right now I can't afford to take the energy to post something like that. Some other time maybe, if it's ever relevant.

The highlights are that it runs too slow on my little old laptop, the conversation moves too fast and it's stressful as all heck. You'd need to be online constantly to be able to be involved in a meaningful way. At least on the forum I feel free to take the time I need to form my words in a way that actually makes sense, and can be reasonably certain that it will be understood in the way that I intended (most of the time. Hopefully).

I have so many little complaints with Discord. A lot of them have been brought up in this thread already. I only really use it now to keep up on that branch of the Keen community. (For a time I was also using it to chat with IRL friends, but we've moved onto other software.) I only log in once every few months at this point (which in itself is a huge pain and often demands I prove myself before it lets me in).

The one feature of Discord that I find interesting is the "reaction stickers". You can attach any kind of emoji to messages, to give a wordless response to it. I've seen something like this on one or two forums as well, although there it was with a limited set of specific stickers such as Agree, Disagree, Helpful, and Funny.

I've sometimes thought this would be something useful to have on the forum, for instance for those times when someone gives a lengthy technical explanation that I find interesting and helpful but I myself wouldn't have anything of substance to add to the discussion. Or maybe it would detract from the simplicity of the system here, I don't know. Anyone else have any thoughts on this feature?

On a lighthearted note, I find it amusing how this poll has absolutely demolished Discord in favor of forums. Obviously there's a bit of bias there, given that this is a forum. I wonder how this same poll would do if it were run on the PCKF Discord server.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image