Commander Keen "Iceberg" Meme

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Commander Keen "Iceberg" Meme

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

I couldn't find a Commander Keen Iceberg meme so I think we should make one ourselves.

The Iceberg meme format, often used today as an educational diagram for fandom-related stuff, is that the well-known things are above the surface, but as you get deeper, the more obscure and/or weird the material gets. (Go look up "iceberg" on youtube for some examples.)

Just to get things going, here's my rough idea at present, but we should collectively work out where everything ought to go, rather than let one person figure it out. I haven't been particularly active in this community in the past decade or so, so I'm missing a lot of fandom-related things, and whatever obscure or dark references could possibly go at the very bottom of the diagram. (Does our fandom even have any disturbing drama that's been buried?) The descriptions I've written on the left are just my own generalisations for how I've positioned stuff in this example, but the depth should really be based on how well-known or obscure the things are.

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Re: Commander Keen "Iceberg" Meme

Post by Nospike »

I think Ceilick's "Keen 6 takes place before Keen 5" theory (or was it before Keen 4 as well?) fits the bottom tier well :p
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

This is neat!

To me, modding is certainly more than "little known"... it's more "easily found if researched"... it's mentioned in wiki and easily found on several other sites in the first 2 pages of Google results for "commander keen"

Other things that are pretty obscure include
- The Keen 7 Tech Demo from 1992 (haven't heard that one mentioned in a while)
- the "The Fight for Justice" (Quake) teaser in Keen1
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

nothing yet for deep lore? smh the theories are the best part

The most obscure thing I know of is a fangame that was developed like 20 years ago that got shut down by Id Software. It was called Myth of the Moonstone or something, and I've never personally been able to find any direct evidence of its existence. Only heard rumors from people that were around at the time. It was discussed some here: viewtopic.php?t=14062
Nospike wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 18:33 I think Ceilick's "Keen 6 takes place before Keen 5" theory (or was it before Keen 4 as well?) fits the bottom tier well :p
Where's this? I know of 2 times this idea was discussed recently, but Ceilick didn't start either of them (viewtopic.php?t=13326 and viewtopic.php?t=8432).
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

proYorp wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:19 Where's this? I know of 2 times this idea was discussed recently, but Ceilick didn't start either of them (viewtopic.php?t=13326 and viewtopic.php?t=8432).
It's, uh, it's nowhere. I meant monochameleon's theory. Dunno why I thought that was Ceilick. :o
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

A few potentials for background/lore/easter eggs:

-Captain Keen
-Christmas '92
-Green Bay Packers
-Keen Dreams music
-Keen 2000
-Mars, the Bringer of War
-This Is Neat
-Korath III's goplat
-Brownian Motion Inducer
-Second biggest sandwich
-Atari Lynx (shoutout to DHeadshot on Discord for that one)
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Nospike wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:47 I meant monochameleon's theory. Dunno why I thought that was Ceilick. :o
No worries, thanks for clarifying. :) I also don't know why I was assuming everyone somehow robotically kept track of who posted each thing. It was sort of reassuring to realize that isn't the case... :o

It occurs to me that in order for this to be a productive community project it would probably be better to have the iceburg list in text that people can quote/copy and edit, since this is a text forum, then turn it into an image when it's done. Personally I am not very inclined to download an image and rip chunks out of it just to move text around.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image