Welp, I made my own platformer. It has dragons!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Welp, I made my own platformer. It has dragons!

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Prepare to start questioning all you know about platformers... muahahahahahahhh :mortlol "All Right on the Knight" :birthday

This isn't actually the game I was working on when I posted the Pocket Platformer thread. I still need to make the music for that one.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: Welp, I made my own platformer. It has dragons!

Post by Keening_Product »

Well isn't that just the cutest dragon sprite in the world!

Looking forward to checking this out! Like the super old style-inspired box art, too!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

I tried it, the title appears more literal than I expected at first. :lol

I completed all levels in 10:43 with 35 deaths. Probably lost some time on the first level before I understood what I should be doing.
nothing usefull here
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

This is so cute :) Love it :)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

5:28 and change with 41 deaths.

I don't know what was going on in anything, I literally held the right arrow from the moment I read the "GO GO GO" tombstone.

Is it possible to get to the highest tombstone in the first castle? I couldn't make the last jump. :(
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

oh, i get it
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

When I played this a couple weeks ago, I scrolled down to the comments and saw someone claiming that the game could be beaten simply by holding down right, which is what I ended up doing. Watching the game unfold while I do almost nothing was pretty cool.
...and I only just now looked at the title again and noticed :evil

also the tombstones are :lol
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wow, this game is huge. How long did it take to finalize all these puzzles? I imagine that playtesting and re-configuring every bits and pieces of all those fiddly timing sections was a lot of trail and error, wasn't it?

btw, here's my score:
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Lol this is top value entertainment... the thread riddled with spoilers both made it and broke it, ultimately ensuring that I wasn't left to suffer too much whilst playing.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 20:46 Lol this is top value entertainment... the thread riddled with spoilers both made it and broke it, ultimately ensuring that I wasn't left to suffer too much whilst playing.
What a fortunate choice of words.
nothing usefull here
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 19:36 wow, this game is huge. How long did it take to finalize all these puzzles? I imagine that playtesting and re-configuring every bits and pieces of all those fiddly timing sections was a lot of trail and error, wasn't it?
It was, but for many of the cool stunts I wasn't really aiming for anything in particular, and sometimes some crazy confluence of in-game happenings would occur that I could never have planned, so I would keep that instead of whatever I was building. Fortunately Pocket Platformer has a very easy WYSIWYG interface so you can playtest a level immediately. Unfortunately, there's a glitch (or there was at the time) where sometimes sprites that move on tracks will suddenly start going the wrong way and you have to either place the tracks again, or save and load the file again... a few times... until it works...
But otherwise it's a fun sort of trial-and-error, like messing around & building stuff in The Incredible Machine. I could lose hours just tinkering in that game for fun, and it's the same for Pocket Platformer when I was making All Right on the Knight.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Spoilers be ahead! Should thou desireth to playeth unruinedeth, ceaseth readingeth immediatelyeth!

Finally came back to this tonight and played thankfully without spoilers. Such a delight!

I've only done the all right method so far, haven't poked too much into any alternative way of playing yet.

That first level with its blind drops is perfectly designed to hint at the just-hold-the-right-arrow method.

Sound was really nice. The death sound was the perfect level of fun, if that makes sense?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass