I made a platformer in the goofy sci-fi spirit of Keen

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

I made a platformer in the goofy sci-fi spirit of Keen

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

:garg Leslie & Brianne's Galactic Rampage :korath

It's a little bit "Invasion of the Vorticons" in that you rampage through the aliens' ship and home planet, plus it contains a few sidelong references to Keen, including one on the back of the box art - in the tradition of rival shareware games good-naturedly sassing each other.
There's one very obvious reference in the form of a Dopefish cameo. Good luck finding that! :dopefish

You also get to visit a planet that NMS fans might have heard of...
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: I made a platformer in the goofy sci-fi spirit of Keen

Post by Nisaba »

oh, the soundtrack is fantastic. especially the first tune is super catchy. I love it!
now if you excuse me, I have to collect some exclamation marks

PS man, that first track is so damn excellent. if I had the chance, I would use it for my own project right away. big time
out now (link) : Image
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Re: I made a platformer in the goofy sci-fi spirit of Keen

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Thanks, Nisaba! I put at least as much time into the soundtrack - probably more - than the rest of the game. The music is a very important part of shareware-era games for me, and since L&BGR has that general retro vibe, I wanted to make at least a few tracks that would match. Some of the instruments I used are sampled directly from the music program that was used for ye olde Apogee & Epic Mega games. (AdLib Visual Composer's interface is a bit primitive for us modern folks so I just recorded samples to import into Ableton.)