The PCKF Community plays Commander Keen

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

The PCKF Community plays Commander Keen

Post by Stealthy71088 »

Hello everyone,

I've experimented with playing the games a number of different ways. I'm trying playing without shooting, I've tried playing without in level saving, and I've tried to just get as many points as possible, all with various degrees of success. During this time, I discovered that the games have a lot of places where the points are really tricky to get, to the point that a lot of times its not worth the risk of trying to get them. Since many of the games have in level saving, people can just try and try until they get them. This has always bothered me a little because it seemed to defeat their purpose. At the same time, it's too risky to risk an entire run on one point.

This morning I was thinking about it, and it occurred to me that we as a community are probably the best Commander Keen players in the world. While it would be asking a lot for one of us to get everything individually, maybe working a team we could pull it off.

So here's a project that I would like to propose. I'd like to create a playlist of a perfect run of each of the levels of the official games. I'm open to mods too, but as a point of pride, the official games really should be our focus.

- Anyone who wants to participate can record themselves playing a level on the hardest difficulty and getting all the points, without in level saving. Points that we know are actually impossible to get, or can't be taken without dying don't count. Raindrops/Vitalin do count.

- You can use cheats to get to the level, have as much ammo/lives as you like, and save outside of levels.

-Impossible Bullet Trick is okay for things that simply can't be gotten otherwise - otherwise we really shouldn't allow it.

- Once a recording is made of someone beating a level while getting every point that is physically possible, they can upload it to google drive, send me a link, and I'll add it to the playlist, and put that person's name on the video.

- Working together is totally okay, (say if you're trying to figure out how to get certain points) and I can credit other people as well in the description, but the person who gets their name on the video will be the runner.

- Only the first successful submission for any given level will be uploaded. I can update this post with submissions, so we can keep track of what levels are done and what levels aren't.

- I'm totally up for making outtake videos of us dying in funny ways while we do this, if that's something people might like.

It would be interesting to see if some levels are too hard for us, even if we work together as a community. I think it may be really unpredictable. It's okay if some levels go unanswered because they're just too hard - that just opens the door for some future Keen fan to become a legend.

In the process of doing this, I think we could learn a lot more about the games in general.

Is this something you guys would be up to working together with me on?

Runs Completed:
Keen 4: Bean with Bacon Megarocket - Nisaba
Last edited by Stealthy71088 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: The PCKF Community plays Commander Keen

Post by Nisaba »

Stealthy71088 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 17:16 - Once a recording is made of someone beating a level while getting every point that is physically possible, they can upload it to google drive, send me a link, and I'll add it to the playlist, and put that person's name on the video.
I'll make a start. here we go:
Keen 4, hard mode, all points, level 18
out now (link) : Image
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

Nisaba wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 19:20 I'll make a start. here we go:
Is it just me, or it downloads only a 267kB mp4 file which is unplayable?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hisymak wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:51
Nisaba wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 19:20 I'll make a start. here we go:
Is it just me, or it downloads only a 267kB mp4 file which is unplayable?
The file size is fine. Could be that your system prohibits percent ("%") characters from appearing in filenames or make them problematic. Try to remove it and see if this does the job. If so, sorry for the inconvenience. I quickly fixed the download file.

Here is a second recording. this time around it's Keen 4, hard mode, all points, level 1
out now (link) : Image
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It plays okay in VLC.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Do points hidden inside secret areas count?

If so how would you keep track of if you'd managed to collect them all? Add up the total points in the level from a list on KeenWiki and compare the difference in score from before and after the level maybe?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image