What is this?????

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
CatsAreFuclingEpic
Grunt

What is this?????

Post by CatsAreFuclingEpic »

Hello everyone, i recently found these two images somewhere in my files. I remember finding them back in 2013, and i wanted to know where they are from. Looks like some sort of fangame or whatev, but google refuses to tell me what it is. Neither filename nor reverse image search helped. does anyone here know the origin of these images?? <3 thanks!!

:dopefish
Dopefish used IDDQD! :dopefish
Ceilick
The Dude

Re: What is this?????

Post by Ceilick »

I can't remember the author, I think their name started with an R, and I know they aren't around the forums anymore, but these images were posted here about a mod that they were developing. It was never released. I'm afraid that's all the info I have.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

They look fantastic whatever they are! Are you sure it's not your own handiwork?

Do the slopey surface angles suggest it to be a V2 project??

Well anyway I took a brief look at all the PCKF members whose names begin with R but didn't find it!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That lava level looks amazing, wow. I would suspect usage of V2 and obviously the palette patch.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Ooh a mystery. I'll see what I can do. I recommend scrolling through the forum index and glance over all the threads that were created before/during 2013 (in the appropriate categories) and see if anything sounds like it could be it.

Have you checked keenmodding.org?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

No luck so far. Looked over the topics in Unofficial Keen Games and Other Keen Stuff around 2013 and didn't find anything related. Entirely possible I missed something though.

Though I did find another very interesting mockup. What do you say about this, Benvolio? viewtopic.php?t=2838 I did not think for a second this was EGA until I read a reply saying it was. :O

Trying to narrow the search... V2 patch was created in 2009, palette patch specifically for it was 2012. So it wouldn't be before that if it is V2. However, it might not be and perhaps the sloped stone edges are just foreground.

Were these images brand new when you found them, or had you been looking through old things, do you remember?

Is it possible you downloaded this from a site other than pckf.com, like the old forum or the IRC or something? Are the image names (Keen_Color_1.png and Keen_Color_2.png) the original filenames?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I'm thinking that the stone slopes are just foreground; they seem too curved in to be V2 slopes. Keen would look like he's standing on air if he were to stop on the middle of each slope tile, since I'm sure V2 slopes can only be straight diagonal lines, without curves. I know the palette patch has been around at least since 2004 if not earlier (just look at Benvolio's debut mod trilogy), if that helps at all.

I gotta mention; the graphics are pretty good. That lava level in particular looks so cool! :)
proYorp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 Though I did find another very interesting mockup. What do you say about this, Benvolio? viewtopic.php?t=2838 I did not think for a second this was EGA until I read a reply saying it was. :O
Benvolio talked about this in a somewhat-recent thread he made:
Benvolio wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:12 In my case you may or may not recall a user called Azura making a couple of posts in 2013 showcasing excellent pixel art - this was in fact a nice chap I befriended in the Netherlands when I was over there. The high quality Keen1 mod never materialised sadly as we shortly thereafter made our ways back to our home countries in different hemispheres. But it's amusing to look back at posts on this forum which actually come from someone I've known in "real life".
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Thank you Quillax for doing the needful background reading!

Another location of Keen activity, one which we never speak of and which may not exist, is the German Language Keen forum. That was definitely a thing back in the day. I don't know if much modding content ever emerged via that forum.