New Old Keen History From Scott Miller - Apogee/3DR Founder

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Re: New Old Keen History From Scott Miller - Apogee/3DR Founder

Post by Pandakeen »

The Monuments of Mar!

(very cool stuff btw)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm calling it right now: new Keen confirmed!

proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

hmm dunno what to think about that one

Imagine the universe where EA published Commander Keen. We might have a whole different copyright quandary. :stoned

7) ASP cannot guarantee the success of any software it publishes, both ASP and Author must both accept the risk that much hard work may go unrewarded.
Dang, Apogee Software Productions with the hard facts.

At first I was shocked that ID only got 35% of the profits at first. Like, that sounds like a ripoff, but reading the explanation for the costs for distribution, mailings, etc it makes sense. I forgot they had to do physical distribution back then. :dopekeen It actually sounds like kind of a sweet deal.

Scott Miller wrote: A secret mode of some type will need to be included in the game since that is a great incentive for people to register I've found, plus it makes the game easier for children.
Straight from the horse's mouth, everybody. I mean having once been a child that needed cheat codes to play I can already attest to that, but it's nice to see that they recognize it.

Interesting how much impact Scott had on the meta gameplay. Some of those suggestions are now iconic parts of the Keen series.

p.s. thx nisaba for fixing that image, i tried to but couldn't figure it out
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That image was just an alternate upload, intentionally broken, just in case Scott decides to delete it or Twitter go down.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Good idea to have alternate uploads. You better believe I've been downloading every single one of these images. They should be on KeenWiki probably.
Frenkel
Vortininja

Post by Frenkel »

Frenkel wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 20:21 John Romero's response to Scott Miller's fan letters.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Hilarious that the original illustration of Keen (the poster with the Bloog) "really bugged John Romero" because Keen had his gun in the incorrect (left) hand... but then the same mistake is made in the 6 character promo painting later on! :lol
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

1. Joe Siegler posted a huge blog about his story of 3D Realms / Apogee. A lot of interesting insights and Commander Keen is also mentioned there.

https://joesiegler.blog/2020/11/my-story-of-apogee-3dr/

2. Also, today is Keen's release date birthday. Scott Miller posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottApogee/status/ ... OW5dUxgXgg
To celebrate Commander Keen's original release, here's the Shareware Top 10 the two months before Commander Keen appeared, and the two months after.

Domination. For the first time a game was important to the shareware market.
#ApogeeFiles #IdFiles
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Are those images from that link really small resolution or am I missing the full copy somewhere? :dead2 I can barely read the text.

Ah yeah happy December 14th! I noticed that but didn't really think of anything to do for it and don't have much extra time for anything fancy even if I did. :dopekeen
Frenkel
Vortininja

Post by Frenkel »

Shareware Publishing Agreement between Apogee and id Software for Goodbye, Galaxy! and Wolfenstein 3-D:
Frenkel
Vortininja

Post by Frenkel »

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Amazing! Pretty sure Keen was hugely groundbreaking in a PC context. But the groudbreaking bits were nothing to do with Softdisk!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I know I'm pretty late, but wow! This is so cool! There's a lot of juicy info to absorb in these documents! Thanks for sharing them, Scott Miller! I wonder if anyone has told Scott that he won a trophy with a Keen Award. Maybe someone could 3D print the trophy and send it to him!

Scott's suggestion to have the soda make Keen jump higher makes me wonder if that was the inspiration for the pogo stick. It also reminds me of the High Jump powerup from Fall Up; could you imagine that in a more traditional mod?
proYorp wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:05 Good idea to have alternate uploads. You better believe I've been downloading every single one of these images. They should be on KeenWiki probably.
Good news: I've uploaded almost all of those images to KeenWiki! I put most of them into the gallery section of the Keen: Vorticons Development page (plus a few old Keen 1 screenshots that were shared on Facebook several years ago), while one document is inserted into the Keen: Galaxy Development page. So far, the following images have yet to be uploaded:
  • The documents about Softdisk's threat to sue (the last two images shown in this thread so far); I think they would fit best in the Keen Dreams Development page, although that page might need a little rewriting to complement this newly found history.
  • The two floppy disks containing PCX files of the Vorticons levels (not sure if this really needs to be uploaded).
  • The Keen 6 poster; definitely should be added, perhaps into the Keen: Galaxy Development page. KeenWiki has the Keen 6 box art, but that has logos in the way.
  • The Apogee catalog poster; not sure if this would even be allowed. Part of me wants to upload it, but my main question would be where to put it...
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Quillax wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:13 (plus a few old Keen 1 screenshots that were shared on Facebook several years ago)
Heh, earlier this month I remembered the existence of those screenshots and downloaded them. I was planning to put it on KeenWiki and then a week later you end up doing it!
Frenkel
Vortininja

Post by Frenkel »

Scott Miller is also active on LinkedIn. (Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Windows Key+L to go to LinkedIn.)