Merry Christmas 2022!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Merry Christmas 2022!

Post by Soul Monster »

:christmas MERRY CHRISTMAS PCKF!!! :christmas

Hopefully you are all having a great holiday season, and Santa will bring you guys tons of presents this year! I look forward to hearing about all of your holiday experiences, and what you all got this year!

Also, don't forget to play a round of Xmas 2010 today!

And, as a little bonus, here's one of my favorite Christmas songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hMODMNlsk
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Merry Christmas 2022!

Post by proYorp »

happy 30 years of lies and betrayal :christmas

TUiT salt aside... :p Anybody got some holiday spirit to share? Honestly I'm running a bit short this year. In the air there hasn't been so much of a feeling of Christmas, and I almost forgot to play any of the music. Last year I was vibing. Strange how that works. Must be the weather.

That isn't to say there hasn't been one or two little Christmas miracles. Got a few early gifts that ended up being some things I really needed. It's been a rough year but things are evening out.

Well, merry Christmas everyone. :) Also I'm curious, does anyone here celebrate any other winter holidays?

(soul monster you beat me to starting the thread by like 7 minutes =p i was all ready to go and then i reloaded the index page)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Merry Keenmas!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Merry, merry, merry Christmas to all of you!

I also felt a lacklustre buildup ... I think I was on trajectory to have a good christmas mood in mid Dec but then work got a little stressful and I lost that feeling.

But I really love Christmas eve in my town, Guinnesses in the pub then efforts to give the appearance of having exercised restraint when I return to my parents. Christmas Day is also nice but Christmas Eve is definitely my favourite!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I too haven't had much Christmas spirit this season; I had appendicitis and an appendectomy with complications at the tail end of November, which lead to a couple weeks in recovery instead of doing anything festive. Probably should have used that time to at least watch one Christmas movie...

I did have a nice get together with family on Christmas Eve though, which was a tradition until Covid, so it was nice to get back to that.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Also a Merry Christmas! Christmas is usually a low-key event for me, but it's nice to travel to be with family. I totally get how it can be a little hard to maintain the Christmas spirit some years.

I haven't been very active in this community lately, but I still enjoy reading what's posted. I think it's pretty safe to say that any major Keen projects I wanted to do (mainly Voyage to Veota) are on ice indefinitely and probably not going to happen. Though, I'll admit that having some free time over the holidays has stoked that creative Keen modding itch a little for me. I did recently have an idea for a slightly smaller Keen project that would be fun to make if I ever get the time. If it were possible with something like Omnispeak, I've imagined making an interconnected Keen mod where levels connect together like zones, almost like a mini-Metroidvania. Maybe someday.

I'm excited for 2023. I've been working very hard on a pretty notable indie game project for a few years now at my job, and I hope I'll be able to talk about it soon. And, I've also spent a good portion of the last year working on my own personal pitch prototype for a game that I really hope could get funding and development resources someday (it even has a few Atroxian Realm influences).

Hope everyone has a good new year!
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Merry Christmas, Keen Community! :christmas
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Merry Christmas!

Oh joy! What a fix I was in setting up all the decorations! It was either old strands of all green lights for the tree or brand new colorful lights that had white cabling. Usually the cable is green. I don't think it would have looked right in white. There was one strand of lights that would be perfect except for half of it was broken due to a clean break in the wires. Out of the question. Useless. Kaput. But it would have been so perfect. So I busted out my crappy $20 soldering iron and melted down a few empty soup cans to use as solder (just kidding, it was regular solder), prepared the tips, burned the hell out of either end, applied a dab of molten lava, wrapped that sucker up in kapton keen tape, plugged it in... fingers crossed...

IT WORKS! It really works! Christmas lights repaired! Oh what a Christmas! But I share the sentiment with many here. Aside from my mind-boggling soldering success, it has been a lowkey Christmas, probably because it isn't snowing. It usually snows the day of, to give it that magical Christmas-y feeling. We do have a bunch of snow on the ground though! A good year! Good cheer! Presents were mailed out on time, everything got wrapped up only to be unwrapped mere hours later, and family members are in for a visit.

I got invited to the annual Christmas party, too! It took place a few weeks ago. They play this game called "white elephants" that everyone knows about except me. Luckily I was forewarned and arrived equipped with a present: a big, heavy box wrapped neatly in red Christmas paper. Naturally it was picked first. By the time my number was up (40) I had a clear view of the field of presents to steal. It was a grand way to get rid of a big heavy thing in exchange for a small useful thing I went home with. Beats dropping it off at the thrift store. I was invited to play piano. And play piano I did. I even knocked 'em dead with a Gershwin tune.

Thus comes the New Year and the countdown to it. In the meantime, keep your chin up if you had a sad Christmas day. Remember that awful old song? On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me? A partridge in a pear tree? There's a whole 12 days of Christmas after Christmas!
:christmas
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I actually haven't had my full Christmas celebration yet. For that I'll be gone this week on a trip with extended family. Wish me luck.

This will have to mark the end of a little experiment I've been doing: trying to post at least one message per day, since the start of December. I think I've actually done it! Well, maybe with a bit of timezone fudgery. One of those days was only on Keen:Modding but I'm counting that. :dopefish That's the most visibly active I've ever been on here.

On a forum this small, some days there are no posts at all. I theorize that daily posts might even have an impact on overall activity. If there's more to think about, other people might be inspired to post more. I think I've noticed some correlated increase in forum activity at points, though it could be coincidental. More research needed. I've learned it definitely takes more than one person to hold a conversation. :dopekeen

I'll see you guys next year. <3
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Well, hope everyone had a good Christmas!! Even if I was sick (I'm mostly over it now), I didn't let it ruin my holidays. Got to go to my first Christmas get together with family since 2019 on the 24th, and got some nice presents. Got some money, some chocolate, a few treats may aunt bought for me while she was in Ireland, an ounce of silver, some tea, a couple accessories for winter, and some Godzilla stuff. For Christmas I had dinner with some family and called up a few friends of mine. Despite still being kind of sick during Christmas, I still had a lot of fun and still got to go out and do some festive activities. It seems like I wasn't alone this year on lacking Christmas spirit. Seems like it snuck up on a lot of us this year, some were stressed out, or some of us were dealing with ailments. Anyway, how about you guys, did you have a good Christmas?
proYorp wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:01 (soul monster you beat me to starting the thread by like 7 minutes =p i was all ready to go and then i reloaded the index page)
Heheh, sorry. :o I'll let you have the next one.
Gridlock wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 19:01 I haven't been very active in this community lately, but I still enjoy reading what's posted. I think it's pretty safe to say that any major Keen projects I wanted to do (mainly Voyage to Veota) are on ice indefinitely and probably not going to happen. Though, I'll admit that having some free time over the holidays has stoked that creative Keen modding itch a little for me. I did recently have an idea for a slightly smaller Keen project that would be fun to make if I ever get the time. If it were possible with something like Omnispeak, I've imagined making an interconnected Keen mod where levels connect together like zones, almost like a mini-Metroidvania. Maybe someday.
I think a lot of people were expecting this outcome. But that's OK, because you still made some damn good mods! Although, didn't you say a while back that if you cancelled Voyage to Veota you'd at least share the plot? At the very least it would be cool to see how your story would end. And hey, sounds like you may still put together a little something, which I think a lot of people would be excited for. If you do decide to pursue it I look forward to it!
Ceilick wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 18:36 I too haven't had much Christmas spirit this season; I had appendicitis and an appendectomy with complications at the tail end of November, which lead to a couple weeks in recovery instead of doing anything festive. Probably should have used that time to at least watch one Christmas movie...

I did have a nice get together with family on Christmas Eve though, which was a tradition until Covid, so it was nice to get back to that.
I hear 'ya. I was sick with the flu or something like that for most of the month and didn't get to do as many festive activities as I had hoped, but it sounds like you still got to do a few nice things anyway.
troublesomekeen wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:01
Sounds like you had a nice Christmas! That's cool that you got that strand of lights working again!