MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

Post by proYorp »

proYorp wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 23:01 The other day I was absently thinking about how Keen's bullets are 16 pixels in size, and tiles are also 16 pixels. Suddenly I wondered, if you stand on your own bullet, could you survive deadly floors?

https://youtu.be/UrV2yjuT6I8
Quillax wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 18:23 That's a pretty neat trick, proYorp! Never thought it would actually work! I also didn't know you can get on your shot while it's moving downward!
Thank you Quillax. :) For the video I actually tried to delay landing on the shot as long as possible for maximum suspense, but it's surprisingly easy to end up on it in a freefall. It's useful though if you were to actually try to do this to save yourself lol.

Quillax wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 18:23 Captain Rixot should definitely get a KeenWiki page, since it's obviously very influenced by Keen and has more to do with it than say Commander Keens Trek 96. And didn't KeenWiki have articles for Keen homages? I want to say there's one called Journey to the Center of Mars or something like that.

I'm not sure about Captain Neat-O, though. From what I looked up, it's made for a game jam ran by the one and only Tom Hall where you only use the assets supplied: https://itch.io/jam/toy-box-jam-3 You can see in the link I posted that "Captain Neat-O" also appears in the banner and quite a few other games. Perhaps the jam itself should get mentioned in KeenWiki, even if it's just in the Cameo Appearances page. There's one Pico-8 game posted here by DoomJedi that's definitely a Keen fangame, though: https://janpaul.itch.io/stranded-on-saturn
Didn't know Tom Hall did a gamejam, that's cool. That seems like something relevant to mention on KeenWiki but I'd have no idea where to put it and I haven't learned wiki enough to do it myself yet. :dopekeen Also this stuff about the process of releasing the first Keen trilogy should go on the development page on KeenWiki.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Multimania wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:40 Some interesting piano improvisation based on Tropical Ghost Oasis from Keen 4:
Derek Paravicini Copying and Switching Styles After a Single Listen (Commander Keen)
Somehow I missed this before but this is pretty neat!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Accidentally discovered that in the ComputerWrist menu you can instantly jump to any option by pushing the key corresponding to the first letter. "N" for "New Game", "P" for "Paddle War", "L" for "Load Game"...

Give a speed boost to your good ol' save-scumming. :smokin "L" - Enter - Enter - "Y". Takes half the keypresses of scrolling up.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

The tree on the right looks like

proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Is this bootleg? This is so weird. Who would make this? How many things like this exist? I want to know the entire story.

Colored worms? Wait, slugs? And what in the world would get translated into an octopus?! Thinking... thinking... a Smirky maybe?

That ain't no Dopefish. That's a fish that's gonna sell you dope.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

So I was watching an LGR Blerbs video he did recently which covers this exact topic namely repackaged, sold for small profit margins physical discs of the shareware version of games such as Keen. I suspect that is what this disc is, too. These were sold in relatively above-board locations such as convenience stores. I doubt they would have usually distributed full version titles like Keen 5. I suspect this disc would have contained Keen4 only. I mean look at the art, it's all Keen4 stuff. They may have even deliberately left it vague knowing that kids (who maybe already had Keen4) might hope to get lucky.

Do check out the LGR Blurbs video, as it shows another knock off Keen disc cover which is quite amusing in its simultaneous effort and lack of effort.

You'll see what I mean; the keen disc is first seen around 1:20 in the vid.

https://youtu.be/tQ3znwa9AL8
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Thanks for the tip Benvolio. Very interesting, that explains a lot. Like it's clearly not just badly drawn artwork, there's some skill there, but why is it like this? :lol I'd wondered about this before when I found another strange disk cover.

More closeup of the Keen cover at 9:55 in the video. I guess then this is the origin of this particular artwork of Keen. I've seen it floating around the internet.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The best keen music video/animation I've seen in a while!

https://youtu.be/CfFl6Slwl8U
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Amazing! Someone send this to Bobby Prince! I was only just watching the interview with him about this the other day
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Is it possible for hosting of images to be added to pckf.com for notable inline images, to preserve quality of the threads. This could be at the moderator's discretion so that pictures such as Roobar's one above could be preserved.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Unsure if this has been mentioned on this site yet, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAEvAXjLz4

...have you ever wanted to play Marooned on Mars in VR? Yes? Well, too bad, because this isn't available for download anywhere, but the footage shown here looks quite neat.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Someone is making box art for KD. Not sure if it has anything to do with that bad port, but anyway. It's Keen day, so here goes:

https://twitter.com/vg_limited/status/1 ... 00898?s=20

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

That looks a bit like the original box art; even King Boobus Tuber is still purple! I wonder why is Keen wearing pants and shoes, though...

Anyway, looks like on this year's Keen Day, John314 posted a video of a GBA port for Goodbye Galaxy that's currently a work-in-progress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4-8aSh2Sg
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Roobar, I want to see more of this! the premise is gold.

out now (link) : Image