Cerebral Cortex 314 was updated

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Cerebral Cortex 314 was updated

Post by Grandy02 »

You probably know Cerebral Cortex 314, one of the earliest major Keen fansites and former hub of the PCKF. Its last "official" update was in January 2005, though Flaose (the only one who continued to maintain it) still made updates to the site's back-end later.

Any way, nearly 18 years after said update, CC314 finally received new content. With Flaose's permission, I added the ending, enemies and items of Comander Keen Game Boy Color: The sprites on the latter page are partly animated. I might add more animations over time when I'm in the mood. Yes, certain GIFs are derived from those found on this page.

Actually, the pages already exist in this form since early September 2022. There is currently no update notice on the "News & Updates" page, I assume that Flaose was simply too busy to write one. Well, just wanted to tell you about this. :)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
rollytheborb
Grunt

Re: Cerebral Cortex 314 was updated

Post by rollytheborb »

Oh that's awesome!!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh man! I love that image :lol

I totally have had forgotten about that website.
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

oh that site, i feel the nostalgia rushing in, everything looks different in wider resolutions
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

What about spatang?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

szemi wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 23:26 What about spatang?
Only Xtraverse can tell whether Spatang/DOS Classics will ever work again or if he gives the site to someone else. I gave up waiting for a response. So the only way to browse the site is Wayback Machine's mirror for now.
Beyond the Pogo's Keen downloads not covered by the KeenWiki will eventually be added to the PCKF Archive.
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

CC314 was the first Commander Keen site I ever came across as a child on a Windows 3.11 machine running some iteration of a Netscape Navigator browser. It was almost solely the inspiration for design and tone of my Xargon and Crystal Caves websites. The Keen fanfics (in particular 'The M Files') on that site played a large role in my interest in writing, and the various pieces I have been unbelievably lucky to have published over the years.

Happy to see a new update to CC314, Keen GBC hasn't really been covered anywhere else, so glad to see CC314 remain the definitive location for all Commander Keen content. Any plans for adding the ill-fated smart phone game to the site as well?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Mobile Keen doesn't even get its own page on the Keenwiki...

Can you link your sites (if they're still up). They sound like they might be cool!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Spikenexus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:49 Any plans for adding the ill-fated smart phone game to the site as well?
Someone familiar with the game would have to prepare the respective pages (not me), though I don't know how Flaose would think about it.
Benvolio wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 18:58 Mobile Keen doesn't even get its own page on the Keenwiki...
I did actually move the "Keen Chronicles" page (proposed Keen compilation in the early 2000s) to "Cancelled games" to cover a bit of Keen Mobile.
Really wouldn't mind if Keen Mobile had a wiki page of its own, but that's just my view.
Benvolio wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 18:58 Can you link your sites (if they're still up). They sound like they might be cool!
The Perilous Crystal Caves Website is still online, hosted by grafix (it's been a while since he was active here). However, the stylesheet doesn't seem to properly embedded any more, at least I "see" black text on black ground. Try viewing it via Wayback Machine if that's the case.

Regarding the Xargon Vault, I'm only aware of three incomplete archived versions: GeoCities, another GeoCities (they supplement each other), and ShortCutMan.net.