Keen Awards 2022: Nominations

See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Keen Awards 2022: Nominations

Post by Grandy02 »

It's about time! What Keen stuff and people were neat in 2022? Nominate them here. Just like you did for the previous nominations.

Edit your post if you want to expand your list of nominees, I'll check the existing posts in this thread from time to time and update the list below if there are differences.

Nominations ended on February 22, 2023. A list of the polls can be found here.

1: Programming

1.1: Best Vorticon Mod (incl. level packs) 1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod (ditto) 1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod 1.4: Best Vorticon Level (from any 2022 Vorticon mod or level pack)

1.5: Best Galaxy/Dreams Level (from any 2022 Galaxy/Dreams mod or level pack) 1.6: Best Fangame/Other Mod Level (from any 2022 fangame or other mod) 1.7: Best Tool 2: Fan Art

2.1: Best Graphical Artwork (e.g. an individual piece of art or a series of comics) 2.2: Best Narrative (fanfic, story of a fangame/mod/comic etc.) 2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work) 2.4: Best Animation 2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art (pencil drawing, sculpture, cosplay etc.) 2.6: Best Gameplay Video (speedruns, playthroughs etc.) 3: Web

3.1: Best Website 3.2: Best Online Entertainment (e.g. games with online support and browser games)

3.3: Online Community Service Recognition (for the hard-working admins, moderators and website owners)
  • Nisaba
  • Grandy02
  • Mort
  • Keening_Product
  • Fleexy
  • XkyRauh
4: Miscellaneous

4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
  • Quillax
  • Nisaba
  • Ceilick
  • proYorp
  • Benvolio
  • Fleexy
4.2: Really Keen Stuff (something great that came out of the blue) 4.3: Most Promising Project
Last edited by Grandy02 on Wed Feb 22, 2023 22:15, edited 18 times in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Awards 2022: Nominations

Post by troublesomekeen »

I don't know what's going on anymore
but I played this little game called Aurora Bliss by Dave216 which was released August 1st, 2022.
I think it's fantastic. The complete package. I'd like to nominate it for
1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod

I also love that bopping soundtrack.
Aurora Bliss for 2.3: Best Music, too

I don't know when Xrack's playthrough originally aired
but the trimmed down edition of Terror from Outer Space was posted starting July, 2022
The series has been a riot so far! I'd like to nominate Xrack for 2.6: Best Gameplay Video
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

This has been a good year overall on the forum with lots of good conversation and discourse by a good range of contributors old and new. However when it comes to releases there have been relatively few milestone achievements. Troublesomekeen has made precisely the nominations that came to my mind initially. Aurora Bliss is definitely the achievement of the year and deserves an award. Xrack project also works away tirelessly with very little notice paid by most of us.

I've now given a little more thought and would like to make a few more nominations.

2.1 Best art Soul Monster recent BOTB picture with Keen fighting Mort.

3.3 Online community service recognition Nisaba for being very supportive and helpful with promoting all our releases and also doing a lot on the artwork and design for the forums. Generally an all round very keen Keener!

4.1 Keenest person... I'm thinking Quillax for generally being involved in many very pertinent conversations and discussions covering the full breadth of the scope of interest of the community, with a keen interest shown in the history, lore and traditions of the community.

4.2 For "out of the blue"/"really Keen" I've gone for Hagel's Keen Mirrored, it's a really old skool project that could have amused in 2002 as much as it does today. Strictly speaking "Aurora Bliss" could get this one however there's at least two other awards that I hope that mod wins.

Isn't it time Keen Awards got its own subforum??
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Ok, let's start:

1.2: Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod (ditto)
Aurora Bliss by Dave216
Operation Station Infiltration by Ceilick

1.5: Best Galaxy/Dreams Level (from any 2022 Galaxy/Dreams mod or level pack)
Magnetic Field Manipulator from Operation Station Infiltration
Temple of Doors from Aurora Bliss

2.3: Best Music (e.g. an individual remix or the soundtrack of a work)
Cylindrical Rhombus by XkyRauh from Operation Station Infiltration
Nights of Aurora by Dave216 from Aurora Bliss

2.6: Best Gameplay Video (speedruns, playthroughs etc.)
Tsk's playthroughs of several mods

Nisaba, this year most of all she worked hard involving the whole community to propose ideas for Foray in the Forest and encouraging the creativity of modders who released their projects in 2022

Ceilick, for the effort shown in the realization of his mod and the help given to various modders, including me

4.2: Really Keen Stuff (something great that came out of the blue)
Keen 1 Mirrored by Hagel

4.3: Most Promising Project
Aliens and Their Just Desserts by Ceilick

I may add further nominations later
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Finally added your nominations to the first post, thanks so far. :)
troublesomekeen wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:46 I also love that bopping soundtrack.
Aurora Bliss for 2.3: Best Music, too
An individual track was also nominated. Maybe you could name your favorite ones? At least to me it would seem a little odd to have both an individual piece and the whole package as an option, or what do you think?
Benvolio wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:13 Isn't it time Keen Awards got its own subforum??
Not sure if a permanent subforum would be needed that is only active for a relatively short time a year. I'm okay with the current way, arranged with Fleexy a few years ago.
DarkAle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 14:05 2.6: Best Gameplay Video (speedruns, playthroughs etc.)
Tsk's playthroughs of several mods
Would it be possible to have a link that leads to the Breakdown YT page only showing the Keen-related uplaods, starting with the most recent ones?
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

1.1 Best Vorticon Mod 1.2 Best Galaxy/Dreams Mod 1.5 Best Galaxy/Dreams Level 2.3 Best Music
  • Robotic Mines by 55aAvenue
  • Too Silent by XkyRauh (Not sure if I can include this one, as it was first seen in the SOTS demo in 2021, but just in case, here it is.)
4.1: Keenest Person Of The Year
  • Ceilick: For taking the time to answer various fan questions I had about his work, for taking interest in my ideas for new mods, and for the release of Operation Station Infiltration.
  • proYorp: For being very supportive of others, maintaining activity during slow spots on here, and for sparking interesting conversations among us through his favorite/least favorite level threads. And, just for being an all around nice guy and showing that he cares about the users on here.
4.3: Most Promising Project
  • Aliens And Their Just Desserts by Ceilick
  • The Parallel Universe Series Remastered by Szemi
  • The Final Showdown/The Mystic Artifact by Darkale
  • Foray In The Forest by Nisaba
There's more to come as I review last year's content.

P.S. May I request that my nominated artwork be renamed to "Battle Of The Brains: Commander Keen VS. Mortimer McMire"? Thanks
Last edited by Soul Monster on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:21, edited 11 times in total.
TheBigV
Vortininja

Post by TheBigV »

Well, I can't think of anything else this year but to shamelessly plug my own stuff. I don't think anyone else has nominated them anyways.

1.7: Best Tool 2.3: Best Music
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

My nominations:

1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod 2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art 3.1: Best Website
Last edited by Grandy02 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 22:20, edited 3 times in total.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Grandy02 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 13:24
Benvolio wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:13 Isn't it time Keen Awards got its own subforum??
Not sure if a permanent subforum would be needed that is only active for a relatively short time a year. I'm okay with the current way, arranged with Fleexy a few years ago.
I can think of a few reasons why it would be helpful to at least have a dedicated general discussion thread for the Keen Awards outside of any specific yearly topic, for instance to preemptively discuss things like what categories should be covered, or to help keep track of one's nominations throughout the year instead of trying to go back and think of everything that was interesting from a whole year ago.

Also I was getting the sense that you prefer having fewer posts to keep track of in the nomination threads, is that correct Grandy?

I have nomination ideas but haven't gotten around to writing it all out yet. :foot I will put all of them in one post.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

proYorp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 23:18
Grandy02 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 13:24
I can think of a few reasons why it would be helpful to at least have a dedicated general discussion thread for the Keen Awards outside of any specific yearly topic, for instance to preemptively discuss things like what categories should be covered, or to help keep track of one's nominations throughout the year instead of trying to go back and think of everything that was interesting from a whole year ago.
Hm, what about a Keen Awards subforum of Other Keen Stuff, just like how Commander Genius is a subforum of Unofficial Keen Games? It wouldn't change the look of the main page much, and all related threads could be kept there, including the completed polls. I wonder what Fleexy thinks about it...
Fleexy wrote:
proYorp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 23:18 Also I was getting the sense that you prefer having fewer posts to keep track of in the nomination threads, is that correct Grandy?
Having all of a member's nominations in one post makes things easier, yes in that regard. Still, I'm happy about anyone who participates and posts (and later, votes).
proYorp wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 23:18 I have nomination ideas but haven't gotten around to writing it all out yet. :foot I will put all of them in one post.
I'm looking forward to it. :)
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

My nominations:

1.1: Best Vorticon Mod
The only other Vorticon mods made this year are Commander Cool 1 and Bonus Episode: Fathership's Revenge, and those are just updated versions. Would those be eligible for nomination?

1.3: Best Fangame/Other Mod 1.6: Best Fangame/Other Mod Level 1.7: Best Tool 2.1: Best Graphical Artwork 2.2: Best Narrative 2.3: Best Music 2.4: Best Animation 2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art Wouldn't Soul Monster's art be classified as non-computerized art too? From what I can tell, it looks like it was made with markers. I might be wrong, though.

2.6: Best Gameplay Video 3.1: Best Website How does anyone feel about nominating KeenWiki? I don't want to knock down all of those who made valuable contributions to that site last year, but it's already won this award in the last two years back-to-back...

3.2: Best Online Entertainment
I can't really think of anything that fits those examples. I'm not exactly sure what would be allowed based on the title. Do comics count? What about videos?

3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
  • Grandy02 (for all his work on PCKF Archive, contributing the Keen GBC info to CC314, and running the Keen Awards)
  • Mort (for maintaining the website for Commander Keen: The Comic Strip and responding to his fans, whom he clearly appreciates)
  • Keening_Product (took care of the spam from alexis92)
  • proYorp (for being a friendly guy always willing to help with Keen mod issues and showing great interest in the Keen community and its past, even going as far as to solve a community riddle and backing up the entire Wayback Machine archive of ezboard PCKF)
  • Benvolio (not for nominating me -- for which I'm pleasantly surprised, so thanks! -- but for being a nice, laid-back guy willing to give feedback and support to even the less popular mods/fangames/artwork/etc. and making good posts in many discussions)
4.2: Really Keen Stuff 4.3: Most Promising Project
  • Shadows Don't Scare Commander Keen remix (1, 2) by Scifidelity Orchestra
Last edited by Quillax on Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:50, edited 2 times in total.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Quillax wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 2.6: Best Gameplay Video
Wasn't expecting to see this here :D I might have to make a post about this mod sometime. I haven't worked on it in nearly 3 years :dead

Also I wasn't particularly paying attention to PCKF in 2022 so I can't think of anything to nominate that hasn't already been nominated...
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Well, I thought your video provided a neat look into what looks like a cool mod! The graphics and animations are well-made, (I especially like how squishy that cyan smiling guy is!) the dark blue sky mixed with the yellow terrain and sparkly water looks very cool and unique, and you give enough info to get me hooked while leaving out a few areas to make ourselves imagine what they'd be like (it looks there might be something beyond that exit)!

Anyway, I just updated my list to add a few more. I think I might be satisfied for now, although I might have to play those new mods and fangames to get ideas on what to nominate for best levels! (I just played the Keen 2000 remake and thought at least a couple of the levels are pretty neat.)

By the way, Grandy02, I have a question about 3.4: Online Community Service Recognition, which is kinda confusing me. Is that supposed to celebrate the webmasters, admins, and moderators and their work on maintaining the website(s), fixing bugs, updating/adding content, and taking care of any spam and attacks? I nominated you for your work on PCKF Archive, but I'm not sure if your contributions to CC314 and PCKF would be considered legitimate reasons for nominating you for this category. I mean, you don't seem to have a staff position in either one of those sites. However, you are an admin on KeenWiki, so would your contributions there count for 3.4, or is it only stuff that regular users can't do (e.g. uploading downloads for mods/fangames/tools, mass edits, editing the main page)? I think the difference between this award and 4.1: Keenest Person of the Year is that the former is just for contributions related to admin/webmaster duties, while the latter is for celebrating the overall contributions a Keen fan has made to the Keen fan community as a whole (e.g. making mods, supporting others and their projects, engaging in discussions, etc.). Is that correct?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Quillax wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 Wouldn't Soul Monster's art be classified as non-computerized art too? From what I can tell, it looks like it was made with markers. I might be wrong, though.
It would. Nothing in that piece was done on computers. It was made solely with pen/ink, markers, and gel pens (the latter being used for the stars).

EDIT: Also, @Grandy02, what's the deadline for nomination submissions?
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Grandy02 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 22:29 Hm, what about a Keen Awards subforum of Other Keen Stuff, just like how Commander Genius is a subforum of Unofficial Keen Games? It wouldn't change the look of the main page much, and all related threads could be kept there, including the completed polls. I wonder what Fleexy thinks about it...
That sounds reasonable to me. If we ever decide to remove the subforum, we can just move its threads back to their original places.

It still might be a good idea to have a temporary top-level subforum so people remember to vote and so I can turn off replies to the poll threads. The polls could get moved into the permanent subforum after they close.