Was I No Net (made by DarkDave1985)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Was I No Net (made by DarkDave1985)

Post by Nisaba »

I was combing through my modding folder the other day and came across this very short but wonderful mod that has been completely unjustly forgotten:

I present a DarkDave1985 original mod.
Download Link

Be warned though, the difficulty level is not for the faint of heart. :mort
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Was I No Net (made by DarkDave1985)

Post by Benvolio »

Hmmmm well like I said, my Galaxy skills aren't the best! Perhaps some of the better players beta-tested this delightful level!
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

Be warned though, the difficulty level is not for the faint of heart. :mort
You weren't kidding. I played it for 15 minutes, and I feel that I aged at least 4 years in the process. I think I see my first gray hair coming.
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

At first I thought Dave216 just released a new mod and instead of DarkDave1985 I saw "DarkDave216", so I thought it was either from Dave216's dark side, a friend, or a relative. :lol It turns out that DarkDave1985 actually used to post on Keen: Modding!

I might have to try this out someday, although I also have plenty of other new mods I haven't played yet (I think the newest mod I've actually played is Sunset). Given the comments here, though, it does sound a bit intimidating. :mort Out of curiosity, did you get permission from DarkDave1985? Or were you unable to get in contact with him and thus figured that you didn't want his work to go unknown?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

KeenWiki article created: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Was_I_No_Net

Even though, it's only a single level, I thought it'd be notable enough for its kaizo-like challenge (although I don't know if that'd be absent in the unreleased full version). All the article needs is a level map, which is likely going to take some work to make since GalaxyView doesn't seem to display the sprites.

Also, I tried this out, and yikes! Now I know what's it like to play those kaizo Mario hacks, I think. :O That Poison Slug in the secret passage is so evil, yet brilliant, it really had me confused the first few times it killed me! And golly, the two switches do the same thing (and thus cancel each other out)!? I haven't gotten past the part where it looks like you have to duck on the goplat and then get to the pole at the right without falling down into the spikes. That part just seems nearly (if not exactly) impossible, even after using one switch.

I've beaten Episode Smile (albeit I cheated in the last level, but only to get back to where I last died since it's so long), got up to level 5 in Keen -6, and beaten the Impossible Palace in the Dead in the Desert community level pack (though I may or may not have save scummed a lot), and even I find this well beyond my limit. I'd love to see someone beat this in a video! :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!