Foray in the Forest - pre-release / call for playtester

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nisaba
Janitress

Foray in the Forest - pre-release / call for playtester

Post by Nisaba »

Good news everybody: Foray in the Forest is about to happen!

TL:DR --> Sign up today and playtest the pre-release version

"Wanna know what’s in that box? Sign up to find out!"

The game is in the pre-release phase, the last and final stage before the final release! Yay!

What does this mean? Well, in its current state, the game is feature complete. It has undergone an extensive functional testing, during which all known bugs have been fixed. I also gave the game to non-Keeners, to check whether they understand the specific Keeniverse logic that we've all already become accustomed to.

In the next and final step, I want you, dear pckf denizens, to test non-functional features like entertainment value, charm and balance. Since the game includes a number of new twists and features, the main aim is to see if they work as intended and have the desired effect. I want to make sure that Foray in the Forest is innovative, engaging and player-centric in terms of fun elements, challenges and storyline.

Therefore, I’m looking for playtesters who get to play and record the finished version of the game as real users. I’d prefer those of you who are willing to record your sessions via microphone and facecam. Having react visuals will help me the most in analyzing the impact of my game, and where to fine-tune a bit. (Of course, I will respect your privacy and will not share any of your material in public.)

I'm grateful for every helping hand to finally finish this product that so much heart and soul went into.
If you are interested to participate simply write me either a pm or send me an email:
authentic in-game screenshots
out now (link) : Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Re: Foray in the Forest - pre-release / call for playtester

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I would be happy to participate, but as a shy and slightly technically backwards person, I'm not comfortable with using camera or microphone. I'd prefer just to play the game and give my feedback.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Thank you very much for your active interest. I am very happy that so many are willing to get involved and participate in testing. I appreciate it very much!

In the next few days I will send a message to all interested participants who have registered for playtesting about how to proceed. All details and open questions you sent me will be answered there as well. To avoid duplication of effort, I'm still waiting for possible late registrations.

I am looking forward to entering this final phase with you soon.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

That image in the bottom right, there - nice to know that the background revision that I started making (with fewer black lines) did finally get finished by someone else. I'm sorry that I kinda disappeared! To be honest, if someone had bugged me about it I would've come back and finished it myself. :)

I'm very tempted to playtest this, but I don't know the first thing about recording sessions with Facecam (also, I'd probably want to play this on my RG353M handheld rather than on PC).
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Snortimer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 0:32 That image in the bottom right, there - nice to know that the background revision that I started making (with fewer black lines) did finally get finished [...]
I'm very tempted to playtest this [...].
It's the details that matter, isn't it? Your touch-ups and revisions have provided the decisive indication that a lot of fine-tunings were made in other places as well.
As mentioned elsewhere, the testing phase is in full swing and very productive. Again, it's all about details that are being touched up to further refine the product. And of course, any helping hand is very welcome.

In that sense I have a proposal for you:
If you agree to test FitF on a PC, I will in return put together an additional release version customized especially for Retropie based handheld devices. You could record your game sessions via OBS, as this seem to be the software people seem to recommend for such tasks. And I'll dig into mapper and config files, reconfigure input texts and the like... If you are up for it, just sent me an email / pm as mentioned above
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I just wanted to ask if there are any news about the game, because you haven't written anything in quite a long time...
(On the other hand, when "Foray in the Forest" is released, I'll have no new mods to wait for. :( But surely someone will create some new mod at some point...)
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

We're still working on it. Fixing minor bugs and adding easter eggs and cool new features.

See development thread.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net