MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: MILDLY NEAT -- For all your random Keenery needs!

Post by Roobar »

You wouldn't wanna know how the slug statue was build.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

To my surprise, I've found a game called "Goodbye Monkey Island" from 2002-2004 on a CD of mine. It's a mixture of Commander Keen and Monkey Island made in click & play. Maybe it was posted here in the old forums, maybe not. I don't know. If someone is interested to add this game to the wiki let me know. Works on Windows 10 fine.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This ancient helmet
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Yesterday I learned the notorious NUTS.WAD was made by the same person who made Keen 58 and 59.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

I remember Bernie advertising The Ruin of Roib on Doomworld. He went by B.P.R.D. then. I can't find the thread now, but I still recall one of the first replies was someone telling him it wasn't in the spirit of Keen, and that he should play Battle of the Brains to get in a more fitting mindset. If nothing else, it seems some Doomers are more loyal to the ideals of Commander Keen than what we give them credit for.

Still, it's hard to argue that Bernie is a mad genius when you look at both his Keen and Doom offerings. When you take Keens 58 and 59, and his most famous offerings in the Doom community -- those being NUTS.WAD, The Mucus Flow, and Equinox -- he revels in sticking to his own unique vision, oftentimes at the expense of his projects being remotely balanced. I've still never beaten most of them without cheating, but boy, will I remember all of them until the day I die.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So I've used AI to expand that image

into this:

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Here's an AI extended Commander Keen 6 box art:

Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Who/what is doing these art extensions? Is there a website?

I'd be curious to see what an extension of some of the in-game pixel title art would look like...
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's the generative fill in photoshop beta. But unfortunately, it's not suitable for pixel art at all.

Alternatively, you can sign up for app.leonardo.ai. The pixel art section may be slightly better, but still far, far away from being actually useful to create true pixel art. I have not seen a true pixel art AI tool, but if anyone happens to stumble upon something, please tell me. Maybe midjourney is more capable, but I don't feel like paying for that now.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Ah, ok, thanks.

I've got to say, both of the things it generated above lack some taste or imagination and are like when a bad artist extends an existing work but just makes it more lame. In the first pic, the muscles on their arms are in bad taste (they're kids, they should just have kid arms) and don't look nice, while in the second case, the extension of the landscape just looks boring and breaks the balance of the picture somewhat.

Still, it's pretty impressive for AI to get to this point of "bottom 60% of artists, only much faster".
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

We could really use a thread for general KeenWiki stuff. Some issues are too complicated and need more in-depth discussion than what works on a talk page.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Keen Mobile might seem very new, but in reality, it's even older than Keen GBC! And boy, it was so different back then! It's like totally unrecognizable!
Roobar wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 16:02 This ancient helmet
https://i.postimg.cc/265J7H7w/Untitled-1.png
Huh, that's very interesting. Where did that come from? Looks like Yorps have been visiting our planet for far longer than we thought... :yorp
Lower IQ than 314 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 19:24 I remember Bernie advertising The Ruin of Roib on Doomworld. He went by B.P.R.D. then. I can't find the thread now, but I still recall one of the first replies was someone telling him it wasn't in the spirit of Keen, and that he should play Battle of the Brains to get in a more fitting mindset. If nothing else, it seems some Doomers are more loyal to the ideals of Commander Keen than what we give them credit for.

Still, it's hard to argue that Bernie is a mad genius when you look at both his Keen and Doom offerings. When you take Keens 58 and 59, and his most famous offerings in the Doom community -- those being NUTS.WAD, The Mucus Flow, and Equinox -- he revels in sticking to his own unique vision, oftentimes at the expense of his projects being remotely balanced. I've still never beaten most of them without cheating, but boy, will I remember all of them until the day I die.
This must be the thread you're talking about: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... b=comments

I definitely remember reading that thread long ago, particularly Hellbent's comments, such as "It's sort of Lord of the Rings meets The Simpsons meets Fern Gully meets Dr. Seuss meets A Wrinkle In Time." And I can definitely see that for at least three of those titles; I always thought the Bobble Plant looks very Dr. Seuss-like.
Pandakeen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 22:07 We could really use a thread for general KeenWiki stuff. Some issues are too complicated and need more in-depth discussion than what works on a talk page.
Yeah, I keep thinking about this for quite a while. There's so many questions and discussions on talk pages that went unresolved (sometimes for at least a few years), and I feel like very few of us frequently check out KeenWiki since some of those talk pages don't even get a response. Not to mention that a few download links are missing. A forum thread would be far more noticeable, especially in a place with way more active users. Maybe I'll set that up myself...
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Recently I decided to look deeper into B.P.R.D./Bernie's Doom output. I'm currently playing through Grove and Equinox and they are amazing, if a bit confusing at times.

Anyways, I decided to go through all the mod work folders on my hard drive, dating back to 2014, and count how many of my own Keen levels I could find. I estimated that number would be over 100, but I never actually checked for sure, until now.
What I found was 89 complete levels, 26 unfinished levels, so 115 levels total. Out of those, I've released 1 (my mediocre Insalevs 3 submission). A significant proportion of these levels were from abandoned projects. Some were from levelpacks, some were from full mods. The vast majority were for Vorticons, I found less than 10 Galaxy levels total.
And this isn't even all the levels I've made! I know there's at least a couple unfinished levels that were on another hard drive that I haven't had access to since 2015, and I didn't include my levels for a certain 3-person Keen 2 mod that's been in development since 2017, because it's been so long I have no memory of which levels were mine :o, and it's entirely possible I missed some here and there.
I really need to finish and release some of my mods already...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

out now (link) : Image