Music and decompress wanted

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Could you help me, please?

Yes, I support your project!
100%
No, I can't contribute unfortunately.
No votes

Total votes: 2

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Music and decompress wanted

Post by szemi »

Hello!

As some people know from me, I'm working on Keen Dreams v2.00 (or Keen Dreams Gold Edition or Keen Dreams Deluxe, etc. etc.) using the Keen Dreams v1.00 source, in which I can now finally add music (thanks to Makefile from Discord) using the original Catacombs 3-D audio file. However, since I'm using the source of Keen Dreams v1.00 (with Keen 4-6 loading screen), that's why I can't decompress the mapfile(s) - GAMEMAPS.KDR, MAPHEAD.KDR, etc. - and thus, cannot edit any levels either.

Questions:

Can anybody (try to) decompress me the mapfile of Keen Dreams v1.00 for example making Levellass' KDRLEV compatible with it?
Can anybody compose musics for Keen Dreams levels in IMF format? (Keep in mind that I would like you to title your music.)

In case you don't know, the game uses IMF format Type 1.

Here are the list of levels I need music for:

Level 0 (map)
Level 1: Horseradish Hill
Level 2: Melon Mines
Level 3: Bridge Bottoms
Level 4: Rhubarb Rapids
Level 5: Parsnip Pass
Level 6: (non-existing in 1.00, but if I can add this level, I would need music for this as well)
Level 7: Spud City
Level 8: (non-existing, but if I can add this level, I would need music for this as well)
Level 9: Apple Acres - I already have choosen music for it.
Level 10: Grape Grove
Level 11: (non-existing, but if I can add this level, I would need music for this as well)
Level 12: Brussels Sprout Bay
Level 13: (non-existing, but if I can add this level, I would need music for this as well)
Level 14: Squash Swamp
Level 15: Boobus' Chamber (music style would be bossish, like in other games)
Level 16: Castle Tuberia

Title and ending music already have choosen music.

Thanks in advance for your reply and your support!

P.S. If you want to contact me, you can find me on Discord as Szemigi or write me PM here on PCKF.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Re: Music and decompress wanted

Post by Multimania »

szemi wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 13:55 However, since I'm using the source of Keen Dreams v1.00 (with Keen 4-6 loading screen), that's why I can't decompress the mapfile(s) - GAMEMAPS.KDR, MAPHEAD.KDR, etc. - and thus, cannot edit any levels either.

Questions:

Can anybody (try to) decompress me the mapfile of Keen Dreams v1.00 for example making Levellass' KDRLEV compatible with it?
Could you just make the levels against version 1.13? I don't think the actual level files are any different between them...
Maybe you'd need to add level 20 for the title screen, but otherwise the layout should be identical.

If you need to turn MAPHEAD.KDR and MAPDICT.KDR into .OBJ files to compile them in, the makeobj program in the Keen Dreams source could do it, or you could use ckmakeobj.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Music and decompress wanted

Post by szemi »

Multimania wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 13:22
Could you just make the levels against version 1.13? I don't think the actual level files are any different between them...
Maybe you'd need to add level 20 for the title screen, but otherwise the layout should be identical.
I tried v1.13's levels, but I had no luck, because I had Unending animation error when I used 1.13 levels in 1.00 after linking and compiling in case of level 20. The truth is that I would like to use TED5, which I currently cannot make work with Keen Dreams v1.00 and v1.13 has differences, for example as far as we checked with Makefile from Discord, GAMEMAPS.KDR of 1.00 is compressed with LREW and Huffman (as far as I remember, like I said) while KDREAMS.MAP of 1.13 is - I don't know, but maybe that is Huffman as well.

KDLEV by Levellass would help to make it work with 1.00, but I just don't know what values or codes must I change in the source.bas ...
Yeah, piece of cake!