Commander Keen - Canmore's Redemption

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen - Canmore's Redemption

Post by proYorp »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:44
proYorp wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:07 I've been wondering something. You've mentioned having two left hands on many occasions. Are you just saying that to describe feeling clumsy, or do you literally mean that both hands have the thumb on the right side when both palms are facing down?
Of course not! "Double-left-handed" means "very clumsy", that's all.
Oh lol okay. The way you phrased it sometimes I wasn't quite sure. I mean Siamese twins are a thing that exists so you never know. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone out there in the world actually was born with two physical left hands, though I would be intrigued if I had the opportunity to talk to someone like that. Thanks!
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Actually, I have seen people use "double-left-handed" in a yet different meaning: "someone who finds excuses not to work". But to me this is... unemployment-shaming, poverty-shaming, basically, all kinds of shaming people for being socially vulnerable, deoendent on help... To me it's perfectly acceptable not to want to work in a physically exhausting job (example: Amazon warehouses). It's perfectly acceptable not to want to work in an ethically dubious job (example: paid Russian troll). The mere fact that someone is professionally successful is not an excuse to look down on people who aren't as successful, who perhaps derive their self-esteem from other sources.
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

I am proud to say that the mod is almost complete. All that remains is sound editing, adding some help sections, and a lot of playtesting. After I am done with my playtesting runs, I'll send the finished mod to all the volunteer playtesters. 

I've tried my best to patch the menu colors.The main menu colors are still somewhat glitchy. This would need someone with some patching expertise to fix it.

In the meantime, here's the teaser that some of you already saw when I posted it on Discord.
https://youtu.be/-qf-ZjUKfyY
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Wow. The graphics in the clip are even more amazing then I expected.
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

Nowhere Girl wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 Actually, I have seen people use "double-left-handed" in a yet different meaning: "someone who finds excuses not to work". But to me this is... unemployment-shaming, poverty-shaming, basically, all kinds of shaming people for being socially vulnerable, deoendent on help... To me it's perfectly acceptable not to want to work in a physically exhausting job (example: Amazon warehouses). It's perfectly acceptable not to want to work in an ethically dubious job (example: paid Russian troll). The mere fact that someone is professionally successful is not an excuse to look down on people who aren't as successful, who perhaps derive their self-esteem from other sources.
I would also argue, some jobs just shouldn't be done period and I would respect those specific people who do those jobs if they did nothing, even collecting free money to stay out of the way of progress.

A good example of this:
Developers of proprietary restrictions or as some call it digital rights management *throws up*
Data collection agencies *toxic
Developers of halfassed bloated programming languages like java, javascript or rust.
Lobbyists *toxic
developers of proprietary hardware *toxic
developers of surveillance software *toxic
garbage products that have immense deceptions in them *many things cover this

Point being, I have been of this thought process long before I couldn't work where I used to do so.

Selling garbage products should be looked at in the sense of being looked at as a criminal.

I respect people who don't do any of those above bs things more than people who have a successful job but do so by making money at the expense of the planet or people, etc...

Even if those people who don't do that stuff have no job whatsoever.
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

FrostKnight wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:06 I would also argue, some jobs just shouldn't be done period and I would respect those specific people who do those jobs if they did nothing, even collecting free money to stay out of the way of progress.

A good example of this:
Developers of proprietary restrictions or as some call it digital rights management *throws up*
Data collection agencies *toxic
Developers of halfassed bloated programming languages like java, javascript or rust.
Lobbyists *toxic
developers of proprietary hardware *toxic
developers of surveillance software *toxic
garbage products that have immense deceptions in them *many things cover this
That's it. I really recommend David Graeber's book "Bulls.h.i.t jobs. A theory".
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

Never knew such a book existed... but yeah, glad to see there are level headed people in the world beyond just the unixlike world people. Although not all of the above are sane, see redhat, see google, see microsoft. All of them influence things when they should be just being ignored by the civilized world.
To be honest, we need less:
A: Meglomaniacs
B: Sociopaths
C: Manipulators

and also D: all of the above and more

Kind of annoying.

Btw, is that book online? I have trouble having patience with reading sometimes as it is. Perhaps its my impatience with the world's idea of what constitutes justice, order and civility. Then again, disillusionment can be draining.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

FrostKnight wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 19:36 [waxing philosophical]
gamers this is a thread for a highly anticipated follow up to a beloved mod
FrostKnight
Grunt

Post by FrostKnight »

BlueGasMask wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 0:19
FrostKnight wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 19:36 [waxing philosophical]